• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Soapmaking: A New Hobby for Cheffers!

In summary, Jolene is test driving soapmaking. She has done a little online research and is excited to make soap in her free time. She has not made soap in some years, but it is fairly easy. For the most part, you buy glycerin soap, melt it down, and add color, fragrance, glitter, or any other addative. She has never had much luck making layered soaps or loaves of soap that you cut down into bars, but she has succeeded in making hand-milled soaps and bread molds.
pampermejolene
Gold Member
I'm starting the hobby of soapmaking. Or I guess I should say I'm test driving it. I haven't made any yet, but I'm thinking I'll enjoy it. I've done tons of online research and have watched some videos and know there are lots of books out there but I wondered if any fellow cheffers make soap in their free time.

I haven't made soap in some years! But, it is fairly easy. For the most part you buy glycerin soap (in bulk) , melt it down and add color, fragrance, glitter or any other addative you want and pour it into a mold. It is kinda fun. I never had much luck making layered soapes and loafs of soap that you cut down into bars... They never held up right for me. Maybe I was doing something wrong... Probably... Anyway, it is very similar to candle making. Melt add color, smell, and extra whatevers, mold it and cool it. Viola! You have soap! HTH

I made soap years ago for Christmas gifts... it was fun and I wish I had time to continue... it seemed like it could become an addicting habit :) It smells so goooooood!

my daughter did it a few years ago in junior high she also amde bath salts and fizzies

I'm going to be really making soap... oils, lye water, etc. I'm so excited!

I think I'm going to make bath salts too, I know those are really easy and don't have all the additives and junk like the kind you buy in the store.

Joy, is there anything you don't do?? :D

you can also find instructions online to make hand milled soaps. I did some really yummy oatmeal soap and a coffee one for the kitchen a few years ago. The old bread tubes work really well for molds too. Then you can cut it into bars. That's one of the few things I ever used mine for.

Jolene, let us know when you are ready to start selling them! I'll buy some to give as gifts.

ShanaSmith said:
you can also find instructions online to make hand milled soaps. I did some really yummy oatmeal soap and a coffee one for the kitchen a few years ago. The old bread tubes work really well for molds too. Then you can cut it into bars. That's one of the few things I ever used mine for.

oooh! That's genius! I might have to get my hands on some of the bread molds! Thanks for the great idea!

pampchefsarah said:
Jolene, let us know when you are ready to start selling them! I'll buy some to give as gifts.

Yay! (though, be aware, selling was not my intent for posting this thread). It will probably be 1 1/2 to 2 months. I want to do a sample batch or two (at least) first and make my friends try them to make sure I know what I'm doing! lol

I found a soap making forum... While I am on FB and MS CS is the only board thing that I'm on ( I don't even know what to call this)... anyway, it's so weird being on something similar to this site but yet it's so different. The colors are different, no one gets stars! and mostly none of you are there! It's just very strange. Just wanted to share!

1. What is the benefit of making soap as a hobby?

Making soap as a hobby allows you to create unique and personalized products for yourself and your loved ones. It also allows you to control the ingredients used, making it a healthier and more environmentally friendly option compared to store-bought soaps.

2. What equipment do I need to get started with soapmaking?

You will need a scale, a heat-resistant container, a mixing spoon, a thermometer, molds, and protective gear such as gloves and goggles. Pampered Chef offers a soapmaking kit that includes all the necessary equipment to get you started.

3. Can I use regular kitchen tools for soapmaking?

No, it is not recommended to use regular kitchen tools for soapmaking as the ingredients and chemicals used can damage them. It is best to use tools specifically designed for soapmaking to ensure safety and the best results.

4. Is soapmaking a difficult hobby to pick up?

Soapmaking can seem intimidating at first, but with the right guidance and practice, it can become a fun and rewarding hobby. Pampered Chef offers resources and recipes to help you get started and improve your soapmaking skills.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take while making soap?

Yes, it is important to wear protective gear such as gloves and goggles to prevent any contact with the chemicals used. You should also work in a well-ventilated area and follow the instructions carefully to avoid any accidents.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Lisa/ChefBear
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
sharalam
Replies
Views
erinb
  • missyciccolella
  • General Chat
Replies