1. Pampered Chef relies on relationships and communication. How are you managing your business in the wake of Coronavirus and social distancing? Discuss here
    Dismiss Notice

Pampered Chef: Any preggo chefs going to conference??

1. kittychef

kittychef Member

What are you bringing with you to make it a little easier? I'm 7 months and this is my first time going to conference I'm really excited!!

Jul 11, 2009
  2. NooraK

NooraK Legend Member Gold Member

I am not pregnant, but thinking back to how I felt at 7 months, here are a few things:
    -A bottle for water (though I'm bringing one anyway :) )
    -Lots of snacks - There isn't much time or many places to get food between classes/sessions, and having some fruit and cereal bars or nuts or something might help
    -A Boppy Wedge - At that point my stomach was big enough that sleeping was getting uncomfortable. I bought a little wedge shaped pillow (which may be helpful at home, too).

I can't think of much else that would be special for you to bring, but I hope that helps.

Jul 11, 2009
  3. pjpamchef

pjpamchef Member Silver Member

I was 36 weeks when I went to my first NC, and I'd add to previous post very good walking shoes!!!

Jul 11, 2009
  4. DebbieJ

DebbieJ Legend Member

I am 32.5 weeks and just returned from wave 1.

My best advice? The things you will need the most are patience and thick skin. I CANNOT believe how many woman came up to me and asked how far along I was and then proceeded to make a rude comment about how big I was. UN-FRICKEN-REAL!

Honestly, there is very little walking this year b/c all the workshops are in Building E along with all the booths and general session. People kept asking me if I was doing okay with all the walking when in reality I got sick of SITTING so much! On Day 2 I actually purposely walked across the bridge and back in between workshops to get some exercise and stretch my legs.

Bring a refillable water bottle as PC has water stations everywhere and just make sure to get an end seat in workshops and general sessions so you can go when you need to. :)

Oh, and no need to bring a special pillow. Just call housekeeping at your hotel and have them bring up a few extras for you.

And to the rest of you going--DO NOT walk up to the pregnant ladies and make rude remarks. YOU KNOW BETTER!

Jul 11, 2009
  5. ChefBeckyD

ChefBeckyD Legend Member Gold Member

That was the worst part about being pregnant! All of a sudden, nothing is off limits to say, and you have no personal space anymore! I hated it when people I didn't know or barely knew would feel free to touch my belly.:grumpy:

Good to know about the walking! Is building E where the Arie Crown Theatre is? Has it been remodeled some?

Jul 11, 2009
  6. DebbieJ

DebbieJ Legend Member

yes, same building as the Theatre. No remodeling noticed.

Jul 11, 2009
  7. pampchefsarah

pampchefsarah Senior Member Gold Member

Deb, thanks so much for letting us know about the limited walking. My Director has pneumonia, but is determined to get on that plane tomorrow. She's thinking she'll have to spend most of the time in the room because she won't be able to walk much, so she'll be glad to know it won't be too bad.

Thank you, also, for not spoiling any surprises!!

Finally, thanks for the tip on what NOT to say to a pregnant woman. Since I'm large to begin with, many people couldn't tell when I was pregnant, haha, so I didn't have that same problem. I'm sure I'm guilty of this faux pas, and will try to be more considerate in future.

Jul 11, 2009
  8. kittychef

kittychef Member

Thanks so much for the info!! I'm leaving for conference right now!!

Deb, I actually had someone ask me if I was having twins!! I wanted to slap her!!

Jul 12, 2009
  9. kittychef

kittychef Member

Thanks so much for the info!! I'm leaving for conference right now!!

Deb, I actually had someone ask me if I was having twins!! I wanted to slap her!!

Jul 12, 2009
  10. redsoxgirl

redsoxgirl Veteran Member

Last year when I went I was 5ish months and I wore sneakers every day and always had water with me. I also gave myself permission to leave workshops if I wasn't feeling up to it.

Jul 12, 2009
  11. cincychef

cincychef Advanced Member

I just got back also and am 31 weeks, the very first day someone asked me how far along I was and then said man you're huge!
    I was looking forward to being around other women who would know better for a few days but that didn't happen. I also walked across the bridge to stretch my legs. So you already got some great advice!

Jul 12, 2009
  12. baychef

baychef Senior Member Silver Member

It has been almost 20 years since I was pregnant for my son but I bite my tongue everytime one of these annoying questions start to roll out of my mouth. I think it is just like someone saying "great weather we are having" or "how are you today?" (like they REALLY want to know the truth if you are having a crappy day!!)

I remember towards the end of my pregnancy answering the same questions so many times, I felt like wearing a sign:

"How are you feeling?" ~ very pregnant, swelled ankles, hot, puffy...just crappy!! Thanks for reminding me!

"When are you due?" ~ you mean you aren't boiling the water? what's wrong with you?

"What are you going to call the baby?" ~ something nicer than what I want to call you right now!

Oh, I could go on, but I won't!!! Don't get me wrong, I actually loved being pregnant, but the last 2 weeks are just uncomfortable and my irritation level was really high!!!

Thank you for letting us know what building everything will be in! That is great since I have a bum leg. Just did a show and I need to ice it down. Don't want to miss a bit of the conference so less walking is a great thing this year! Wave 3...so excited and ready to go!!

Jul 12, 2009
  13. cathyskitchen

cathyskitchen Senior Member Gold Member

I always tell pregnant women that they look great!! Even before I had kids, I always thought PG women were beautiful, and never called them "huge" - how awful!! Sorry you had to endure that, Deb!! :(

14. kittychef

kittychef Member

You're cracking me up!!
    I did have comments but nothing too rude. They were several pg girls there and we all had the same tired look. The walking did take a toll on me so I took my time walking I was late for some workshops but I just couldn't waddle any faster LOL. I did see another pg girl who ws getting her foot wrapped by paramedics I felt bad for her

Jul 16, 2009
Have something to add?