• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Any Ideas? Kind of Long, Little Vent

In summary, the Consultant admitted to throwing away some PC catalogs in her office breakroom for another Consultant (apparently someone else was doing a show too). She thought it was hilarious and now she is struggling for bookings. Her manager challenged her to call and reserve a spot for the outdoor vendor/flea market event and she said she would do it because she doesn't want anyone else to do it.
amy07
I have a Consultant on my Team that is really starting to concern me. She is competitive, which can be a good thing, but now I think it is starting to cross an ethical line.
Recently she told me that her mother was trying to collect some orders for a catalog show at her office. She said her mother threw away some PC catalogs in her office breakroom for another Consultant (apparently someone else was doing a show too). She (Consultant) thought it was hilarious.
This Consultant is struggling for bookings and I have been really trying to coach her the best I can. But we all know that if they do not pick up the phone or make the contacts there is only so much we can do for them. But this really got to me today:
I know that she belongs to a local organization that has an outdoor vendor/flea market event twice a year. So, I asked her if she had called already to reserve a spot. She told me that 1. she really wasn't interested because she didn't want to get up that early and 2. that "nothing would probably come from it anyways". grrrrrr, not with that attitude.
So, I gave her a challenge to call today and get the details and let me know her decision. If she decided that she didn't want to do it, then I would call myself to reserve a spot because I'm sure someone on the team would love the opportunity. I was kind of hoping that it would spark her competitiveness a little, but I was not prepared for her response: "Well, I'll just tell you that I'm doing it, because I don't want anyone else to do it".:bugeye: I'm not sure how much longer I can hold my tongue.

amy07 said:
I have a Consultant on my Team that is really starting to concern me. She is competitive, which can be a good thing, but now I think it is starting to cross an ethical line.
Recently she told me that her mother was trying to collect some orders for a catalog show at her office. She said her mother threw away some PC catalogs in her office breakroom for another Consultant (apparently someone else was doing a show too). She (Consultant) thought it was hilarious.
This Consultant is struggling for bookings and I have been really trying to coach her the best I can. But we all know that if they do not pick up the phone or make the contacts there is only so much we can do for them. But this really got to me today:
I know that she belongs to a local organization that has an outdoor vendor/flea market event twice a year. So, I asked her if she had called already to reserve a spot. She told me that 1. she really wasn't interested because she didn't want to get up that early and 2. that "nothing would probably come from it anyways". grrrrrr, not with that attitude.
So, I gave her a challenge to call today and get the details and let me know her decision. If she decided that she didn't want to do it, then I would call myself to reserve a spot because I'm sure someone on the team would love the opportunity. I was kind of hoping that it would spark her competitiveness a little, but I was not prepared for her response: "Well, I'll just tell you that I'm doing it, because I don't want anyone else to do it". :bugeye: I'm not sure how much longer I can hold my tongue.

you: "I'm calling them and reserving a space so the team can benefit from this opportunity. Let me know if you want to buy some of the time."

I'd plan to be there the whole time and use it as a training experience for those who show up to help.

bethcooks4u said:
you: "I'm calling them and reserving a space so the team can benefit from this opportunity. Let me know if you want to buy some of the time."

I'd plan to be there the whole time and use it as a training experience for those who show up to help.

I thought of that too! The only thing is that it is a private club, so I don't know if they are only offering spaces to their members. I believe the sale is open to the community at large though. Of course, a phone call is all it takes to find out for sure!;)

I'll give her til tomorrow morning to get back to me.

how would you handle the throwing away the catalogs? I know that she personally did not do it, but still.........Guess we can see where she gets her behavior!:yuck:

amy07 said:
....how would you handle the throwing away the catalogs? I know that she personally did not do it, but still.........Guess we can see where she gets her behavior!:yuck:
There's really not much you can do/say about it now. It will come back to bite her one day.

pamperedlinda said:
There's really not much you can do/say about it now. It will come back to bite her one day.

I agree with Linda. I had a consultant that worked in our local hospital. She told another consultant on the team that the hospital was her territory. How I handled it was...1. she turned people totally off by that statement 2. I did put in my newsletter and state at meetings that one of the great things about PC is that we do not have territories. And tried to convey that to grow our business, we need to share the business and that means giving that new consultant her own shows.

I think you will find that no matter how much the mother and the consultant try to beat people into submission, she will either have to realize this and change on her own or she will unknowingly drive herself out of business.

There are subtle ways to create a team spirit but there are those that think they can get ahead by being bullies. I bet the host that put the catalogs out on the breakroom table will stick with the consultant she is working with and not switch to the mother's bully daughter for business.

thanks for the tips guys!

amy07 said:
I thought of that too! The only thing is that it is a private club, so I don't know if they are only offering spaces to their members. I believe the sale is open to the community at large though. Of course, a phone call is all it takes to find out for sure!;)

I'll give her til tomorrow morning to get back to me.

how would you handle the throwing away the catalogs? I know that she personally did not do it, but still.........Guess we can see where she gets her behavior!:yuck:

I guess there's nothing after the fact that you could do but if one of my consultants told me I would act (and be) shocked. I'd ask if she ever heard of carma - I firmly believe that what goes around comes around. If you use shady tactics someone will use them on you. It's like love, the more you give the more you get.

here's an update on this gal. I've been stewing about this ever since. I know I need to address her individually, but I know me, and I really need a cooling off period first.

At my monthly meeting I do a cluster calendar drawing. Basically I draw a number from a hat, and whoever has a show booked on that date, gets a prize. If it is more than one person, then we will draw a name. If nobody has a show booked on that date, then the prize will "roll-over" to next month, so the "prize" can continue to grow. So, when I explained it, this same gal said, "Oh, I get it. Well, from now on I'm going to write my name all over that calendar" I ignored her in hopes that the others didn't hear her (and I could address her privately), but she kept repeating it. Finally I addressed her (and the Team), and said that IF I felt that someone was taking advantage of the rules then I would check dates to see if shows submitted matched the dates prior to awarding the prize.

Her greed and selfishness are really getting to me. I can now see why she is having problem booking shows - it's very easy to be turned off by her attitude.

How would you handle her? It's very difficult for me, because we are not actually their boss. We really are only their mentor, if they chose to have us. It's such a fine line, but I don't want her pissiness (is that a word) to ruin the encouraging/supportive/fun environment that I currently have at my meetings.

sorry for the rant........like I said, she is getting under my skin....

ick!

Change your meeting date and location and forget to tell her...okay, that probably won't work.

I am offering a drawing that is similar to yours Amy but what I am doing is asking them to put their show schedule for the next month down. Then at the next meeting I am drawing a date.

If the show was on my cluster calendar** (I'm trying tot get them to book ahead and to tell me!) and my IPT shows that a show was submitted for that date the person wins. If not, no one wins - I think I'll change it to have the prize grow like you're doing though!

**of course if they have a change they just have to tell me the new date.

Since so many of them are booking at the last minute I may just start drawing a date and if the tracker shows a show submitted that date they win. Then someone will win and they might get more excited to submit more shows each month...

pamperedlinda said:
ick!

Change your meeting date and location and forget to tell her...okay, that probably won't work.

the thought crossed my mind!;)

pamperedlinda said:
ick!

Or tell her the contest is for everyone except her!!! I feel so sorry for you AND your team.

I am not sure how I would handle this, but knowing me, I would cross the line with her because she chooses to cross the line...and certainly needs to be kicked back across.

If her "sparkling" personality is netting her zero bookings, it sounds as if this precious one could put her own self out of business. You may just have to keep it fair (not based on trust) and follow Beth's idea about checking the IPT.

Rewarding a prize on days parties were submitted in the past month may be good too. (just leave out the dates Miss Congeniality submits parties!!:devil:)

Let's get Carolyn, Linda, and all of us will go "Jersey Girl" on her. I'll start teasing my hair!!

I would address her personally and professionally. Let her know that while contests can be fun, and spark some competitiveness, you've observed some behaviors that are coming across a little strong. Remind her that you want to see her be successful, but not at the expense of anyone else. While she is in business for herself, it's not by herself. One of the great things about PC is that we, as consultants, are all here to support and encourage each other. I would just keep it very professional...Good luck!

1. Can you give me some tips for meal planning?

Meal planning can be overwhelming, but it doesn't have to be! Here are a few tips to help you get started: 1) Set aside a specific day and time each week to plan out your meals. 2) Take inventory of what ingredients you already have on hand and plan meals around those. 3) Consider incorporating theme nights, like Taco Tuesday or Meatless Monday, to make planning easier. 4) Utilize tools like our Meal Planning Pad to keep track of your plan and make grocery shopping easier. 5) Don't be afraid to repeat meals or use leftovers in creative ways to save time and money.

2. How can I make meal prep more efficient?

Meal prep is a great way to save time during the week and make healthier choices. Here are some ways to make it more efficient: 1) Plan your meals ahead of time and make a grocery list, so you have all the ingredients you need. 2) Utilize tools like our Food Chopper and Quick Slice to make chopping and slicing easier and faster. 3) Cook in bulk and freeze individual portions for easy meals throughout the week. 4) Use multitasking tools like our 3-in-1 Microwave Cooker to save time and space. 5) Clean as you go to minimize the mess and make cleanup easier.

3. What are some healthy snack options?

Snacking can be a great way to fuel your body throughout the day, but it's important to choose healthy options. Here are some ideas: 1) Fresh fruits and vegetables with hummus or nut butter for dipping. 2) Homemade trail mix with nuts, dried fruits, and dark chocolate. 3) Energy balls made with oats, nut butter, and dried fruits. 4) Air-popped popcorn with a sprinkle of nutritional yeast for a cheesy flavor. 5) Greek yogurt with fresh berries and a drizzle of honey.

4. How can I incorporate more vegetables into my meals?

Incorporating vegetables into your meals is a great way to add more nutrients and flavor. Here are a few ideas: 1) Add chopped vegetables to soups, stews, and casseroles. 2) Use zucchini or sweet potato noodles as a healthier alternative to pasta. 3) Make a stir-fry with a variety of vegetables and a protein source. 4) Sneak vegetables into dishes like meatloaf or lasagna by finely chopping or grating them. 5) Roast vegetables with olive oil and seasonings for a delicious side dish.

5. What are some easy and healthy breakfast options?

Breakfast is an important meal, but it can be challenging to find time to eat a nutritious meal. Here are some easy and healthy options: 1) Overnight oats with Greek yogurt, chia seeds, and fruit. 2) Avocado toast with a poached egg and sliced tomatoes. 3) Egg muffins with vegetables and lean protein. 4) Smoothie bowls with frozen fruits, spinach, and a scoop of protein powder. 5) Whole grain toast with nut butter and banana slices.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• PCJenni
  • Buy and Sell Items
Replies
Views
Nanisu
  • icerneaccorie
  • Buy and Sell Items
Replies
Views
pamela
  • kcjodih