• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Smoke-Free Cycle: My Guilty Pleasure & Irony

In summary, the current season of America's Next Top Model is called the Smoke-Free Cycle. The show features models who smoke, and Tyra named this season in an effort to discourage young girls from following in their footsteps. Last night, when Ms. Jay went to the house to talk to the girls about style, DH looked up and said, "Wow! He's not dressed like a freak!" (He'll never admit it, but DH actually watches the show, too.)
chefann
Gold Member
I'm almost ashamed to admit that this is one of my guilty pleasures. Wednesday night, there I am with my fat butt on the couch, watching skinny girls be all snotty to each other. :) Nothin' like a little irony in the evening.

Any thoughts on the current season?

I was both incredulous and pleased that Tyra named this season the Smoke-Free Cycle. As she pointed out, lots of young girls watch the show and when they see the models smoking, it glamorizes that activity.

Last night, when Ms. Jay went to the house to talk to the girls about style, DH looked up and said, "Wow! He's not dressed like a freak!" (He'll never admit it, but DH actually watches the show, too.)

ETA: And somehow appropriately, this was post 9800. Talk about slutty.

Last edited:
I guess that means I missed the premier.:(

I do watch it too!! I think the made the right choice to go home. I think it is interesting how Heather is doing. She is very awkward but is handeling herself good. Those other girls are so snotty about her. Not sure who my favorite is yet!!

It's one of my guilty pleasures, too. I find it fascinating that women to whom I wouldn't give a second look on the street can take such beautiful pictures. The process is interesting. Honestly, I'm usually rooting against someone rather than for someone. It seems like every season there's someone who just irritates the heck out of me. I have a friend who works with several autistic people, so I'm watching Heather with interest. She seems to be doing well in overcoming her challenges.

AAAAAACCCCCKKKKK!

I missed the premier! I knew I had a show, but I totally spaced recording it. :( Does anyone know if it will show again? Probaby not, but I can hope.

I LOVE this show. I get so excited when it goes on marathon all day long, LOL! Nothing gets done at my house!

Okay for you addicted to this show...you can help my husband :)

The man that ONLY watches sports actually said to my daughter and I yesterday...."Do either of you know who won America's Next Top Model?" After we died laughing :) He said he was watching part of the finale (on the marathon) and they said they'd announce the winner after the break and he flipped back to his ball game and forgot to go back.

Lisa- the season that was on last weekend (9/15)? That was cycle 8 and the winner was Jaslene.

The premiere of this season was last week. No big revelations except for Tyra's usual "let's make it all about me."

There are some great entries on Wikipedia for the past and current seasons, including call-out order, makeovers, etc.

Rae- I'm with you in that I usually end up against one girl rather than for another. Like Cycle 6, I just wanted Jade gone. What a b-word! (Nnenna, too, that season.)

they usually replay the previous episode on sundays i love antm on of my fave's along with top chef

I must admit that I LOVE ANTM. Dh finds it SO disturbing that I HAVE to watch this show!!
Ann and Rae...I am in the same boat as y'all. I could not stand Jade and when Lisa was on the season that Nicole won. YUCK!!

I only watched it during cycle 2 and I didn't like Yoanna from the first time that I saw her and then when she won over Mercedes I decided that I didn't like the show anymore.

erinyourpclady said:
...and when Lisa was on the season that Nicole won. YUCK!!
I didn't watch a lot of that season. There were just too many girls who annoyed the heck out of me (like Lisa) or who were just too ugly to look at (like Nik - not Nicole who won, the other one).

My girls started watching it and now I am hooked!

Ann R.

i love this show! i really hope heather makes it far, those girls are being so mean to her, its not like shes deaf and cant hear them!!! what turds!

I was so upset I missed it yesterday! I keep thinking it comes on 9 instead of 8 here. I'll try to catch it Sunday. That & Grey's are the only 2 shows I LOVE to watch each week--my guilty pleasures!

pamperedgirl3 said:
I was so upset I missed it yesterday! I keep thinking it comes on 9 instead of 8 here. I'll try to catch it Sunday. That & Grey's are the only 2 shows I LOVE to watch each week--my guilty pleasures!

Mine are Grey's and Brothers and Sisters...I do watch a lot more tv than I should but most of the time I don't care if I miss something but I do not like to miss either one of those.

I spent a lot of that season yelling at my TV for Jade to shut up and go home. Attitude I can handle. Arrogance I can handle. Jade was just too full of herself. I still can't believe she lasted as long as she did. Whenever the judges told her how to improve, she either ignored them or told them why what she was doing was the right way.

Okay, I think I need to work on letting this whole Jade thing go. :eek:

The thing I always get a kick out of is the girl (or, some seasons, whole group of girls) who treats everyone like dirt, then thinks they don't like her because they're jealous. Hello! Sometimes people just don't like you.

I'm also still trying to figure out how Natasha lasted so long last season.

raebates said:
I'm also still trying to figure out how Natasha lasted so long last season.
Me, too! (I'm making the squinty pushy-lips face that Tyra always made for Natasha, you just can't see me doing it.)

I can't see you, but I'm picturing it. Hee, hee.

If you missed them, the first episode (yes, the whole thing!) is on the CW website, and the second episode is on YouTube! DH and I stayed up way too late last night watching them! :)

My DD watches ANTM faithfully! I kind of see bits and pieces of it. I can't believe the attitudes some of those young ladies have!! I haven't seen any of this season...I'll have to ask her what's going on! Thanks for the thread Ann!!

Because there have only been 2 episodes, I don't yet have a feel for who the real b-words are in the house. (Keeping in mind that of course, they edit things to increase the drama.) Except for Ebony (?), who seems to have a real attitude.
I think that making it a smoke-free cycle will definitely affect these girls. They'll be skinny girls with attitude AND nicotine withdrawl! Let's see how many gain weight, too, because of that.

I'm sooooo glad I'm not the only Cheffer watching ANTM -- I knew you guys wouldn't let me down. I used to think I was the only non-teen watching. Then I found out that my sister, and most of my friends were all closet ANTM addicts:)
(If you knew my sister, you would so get the irony!)
I missed most of week 2, so I'm glad it's on YouTube. I will be rooting for Heather. I missed the girls being mean, but I am disappointed about it. Do they know she has Aspereger's? These girls aren't 8 yrs old. They should have some maturity and sensitivity about such matters.
As much as Tyra can be a little over the top, I respect her choice to take a stand on smoking. I think she is a force for good. She wants to encourage healthy body image (by including "plus -- ha!" sized models) and diversity with her choices in contestants. I think we'll see her pulling for Heather to send a message.

7 minutes left in this week's episode, and I already know that I want neither Bianca nor Ebony to last long.

I was chanting, "Bianca, Bianca, Bianca," but they obviously didn't hear me. At least she was in the bottom two.

I can't believe she was stupid enough to be caught on camera trying to sabotage another contestant's walk by giving her purposely bad advice.Ebony looked familiar when she was standing in the group during elimination, but I can't put my finger on who- some character from a movie or something, or even Dionne from last season (the African-American gal who always looked mad in her pics).

Don't worry Rae- You weren't the only one chanting for Bianca to be gone. That girl is going to drive me crazy if she stays on much longer!

chefann said:
Me, too! (I'm making the squinty pushy-lips face that Tyra always made for Natasha, you just can't see me doing it.)

I couldn't help it...as soon I read this I started attempting to make that face :p

I can not stand Bianca either. With her purposefully giving bad advice I can not imagine anyone wanting to hire her after seeing this show. She is so not pretty outside or inside.

<giggle>
And what's sad is that we all know what I meant by that phrase, too.

==
Next week is makeovers. Based on the teaser at the end of last night's episode, someone will have a hissy fit over her hair being cut short - as usual! I wonder if they'll continue last cycle's trend of more brunettes than blondes, and more girls getting weaves for length and body than girls getting short cuts.

raebates said:
I was chanting, "Bianca, Bianca, Bianca," but they obviously didn't hear me. At least she was in the bottom two.

I was doing the same thing..... then I said fine then next week she can go home:p

At least she seemed shocked to be in the bottom two. Think she'll learn anything from that?Yeah, me neither.

raebates said:
At least she seemed shocked to be in the bottom two. Think she'll learn anything from that?

Yeah, me neither.

Ahhhh....they never do, now do they? Then they seem really shocked when they get the boot! All I can say is buh bye Bianca.....

I don't know how accurate it is, but the Wikipedia site for the current cycle has several additional weeks of call-out info, including who's eliminated.

Hmmm. Interesting.

The Wikipedia page for this cycle has been updated again to remove results for episodes that haven't aired yet. Except that someone listed Heather as the ultimate winner. (Take that info with a whole shaker of salt, as Wikipedia is monitored, but not verified, and there's no way that the CW would let something like that be leaked before the finale aired.)

Any predictions for tonight's episode? It's makeover night - always good for a hissy fit from at least one contestant!

No predictions. I'm just looking forward to the drama.

Me, too! I'm going to print out my labels and materials, and make host packs during the episode. (That way, I'm not totally wasting my time. ;) )

Mmmmmm...I can hardly wait!! LOL!!

I'm a closet ANTM junkie too! LOLAnyway, this is the first season where I'm actually rooting for someone and that would be Heather.

My comcast guide says that one of the girls makeover is her going bald! That's going to be interesting to see how well that goes over.

That's the name of the episode, too.

I loved in Cycle 6 when they told the girls they were going bald and they actually just did a bald shoot, with caps. :)

OK- coulda predicted that elimination, especially after the remarks about her talking back to Twiggy last week.LOVED the photo shoot theme!

Me too!! BTW I loved Bianca with her super short do...I think it looks great on her. Can you believe her mother told her that cutting off her hair would make her ugly?

Was Bianca the one with the orange or purple hair? I recorded the show but haven't watched it yet since I currently have 2 shows recording at the moment.

I won't be watching until Sunday's replay...I tape Pushing Daisies and Deal or No Deal...so, since this isn't an official "spoiler" thread, someone want to email me what happens...

Thanks!

Debala715 said:
Was Bianca the one with the orange or purple hair? I recorded the show but haven't watched it yet since I currently have 2 shows recording at the moment.
Yes, Bianca is the one with the purple hair, who has a real attitude problem (or at least she did in the past).

Nikke, I sent you an email.

I have to admit I didn't think Bianca would be the big makeover drama. She's a lot of drama. I just didn't think she'd be the one to freak out over a change.

As for what her mom told her, I can tell you from experience that moms often make incredibly stupid, scar-for-life comments to their daughters. My mom once told me when I was about 12 that I wasn't all that pretty, so when my hair looked bad I looked really bad. Not that you're all that sensitive at 12 :eek: . It's not like I've remembered it for over 30 years or anything. :rolleyes:

And, yes, I expected miss "I don't have a prickly personality" to be the one to go. You can't challenge every comment from the judges without being seen as difficult. Again, I have to ask, have these people not seen the show before? Also, do these girls not think that Tyra and the others might have a chance to see how they behave and what they say? That girl kept making very disparaging comments about fashion modeling. Hellooooooo! I loved Nigel's comment that she's very smart but not wise. I know many people like that.

I must admit that DH and I thought Victoria's comment at the shoot was hilarious: I look like Princess Leia lost a fight with a cactus.

Ebony needs to work on appearing to care as much as she says she does. Chewing her lip and rolling her eyes all the time makes her look like she doesn't want the constructive criticism, even though she says she wants to improve.

And poor Chantal. I can see her being in the next few to go if she doesn't figure out how to take direction at the shoots.

Yeah, but I felt kind of sorry for Chantal at the shoot. It sounded like Jay and the photographer were giving her completely opposite direction. It's hard to implement both "Look up," and "Look down," at the same time.

The Leia vs cactus comment was great.

<h2>1. What is the Smoke-Free Cycle and why is it significant?</h2><p>The Smoke-Free Cycle is the name given to the current season of America's Next Top Model by host Tyra Banks. It is significant because it aims to promote a smoke-free lifestyle and discourage the glamorization of smoking, especially to young girls who may be watching the show.</p><h2>2. What are your thoughts on the current season of America's Next Top Model?</h2><p>I am both surprised and pleased that the current season has been named the Smoke-Free Cycle. It is refreshing to see a popular show taking a stand against smoking and its negative effects. I also appreciate the irony of watching models, who are often portrayed as perfect and flawless, being shown in a more realistic and relatable light.</p><h2>3. What was your reaction to Tyra's decision to name the season the Smoke-Free Cycle?</h2><p>I was initially surprised, but ultimately happy with Tyra's decision. It shows that she is not afraid to use her platform to promote a positive message and encourage healthy habits among her audience. It also sets a good example for the models and viewers of the show.</p><h2>4. Did you have any thoughts on the recent episode where Ms. Jay talked to the girls about style?</h2><p>I found it interesting that even your DH, who may not typically watch the show, noticed that Ms. Jay was not dressed in his usual eccentric style. It goes to show that the show is not just about fashion and beauty, but also about personal growth and development.</p><h2>5. Do you have any other comments on the current season of America's Next Top Model?</h2><p>I find it fitting that this post is numbered 9800, as it adds a touch of irony to the discussion about irony in the show. Overall, I am enjoying this season and appreciate the focus on promoting a smoke-free lifestyle and promoting a more realistic and diverse view of beauty in the fashion industry.</p>

1. What is the Smoke-Free Cycle and why is it significant?

The Smoke-Free Cycle is the name given to the current season of America's Next Top Model by host Tyra Banks. It is significant because it aims to promote a smoke-free lifestyle and discourage the glamorization of smoking, especially to young girls who may be watching the show.

2. What are your thoughts on the current season of America's Next Top Model?

I am both surprised and pleased that the current season has been named the Smoke-Free Cycle. It is refreshing to see a popular show taking a stand against smoking and its negative effects. I also appreciate the irony of watching models, who are often portrayed as perfect and flawless, being shown in a more realistic and relatable light.

3. What was your reaction to Tyra's decision to name the season the Smoke-Free Cycle?

I was initially surprised, but ultimately happy with Tyra's decision. It shows that she is not afraid to use her platform to promote a positive message and encourage healthy habits among her audience. It also sets a good example for the models and viewers of the show.

4. Did you have any thoughts on the recent episode where Ms. Jay talked to the girls about style?

I found it interesting that even your DH, who may not typically watch the show, noticed that Ms. Jay was not dressed in his usual eccentric style. It goes to show that the show is not just about fashion and beauty, but also about personal growth and development.

5. Do you have any other comments on the current season of America's Next Top Model?

I find it fitting that this post is numbered 9800, as it adds a touch of irony to the discussion about irony in the show. Overall, I am enjoying this season and appreciate the focus on promoting a smoke-free lifestyle and promoting a more realistic and diverse view of beauty in the fashion industry.

Back