• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Another Review: Steamed Wonton Purses

I finally had a chance to make these yesterday. They were really pretty good. I followed the directions exactly.First, I have never worked with ground turkey. It looks like ground beef - but it is way "mushier". Once I got over that, I was OK. I used level small scoops for each wonton and I got more than the 16 wontons. I think I got 22 wontons or so. And I still think that was plenty of meat inside the wonton.The dipping sauce was a little spicy, so I decided to use just soy sauce and add a little of the Asian Seasoning - much better. (I am still trying to figure out what Chinese restaurants use as the dipping sauce
kam
Staff member
I finally had a chance to make these yesterday. They were really pretty good. I followed the directions exactly.

First, I have never worked with ground turkey. It looks like ground beef - but it is way "mushier". Once I got over that, I was OK. I used level small scoops for each wonton and I got more than the 16 wontons. I think I got 22 wontons or so. And I still think that was plenty of meat inside the wonton.

I steamed some of them and it took closer to 8-10 minutes to come to 160 degrees.

The dipping sauce was a little spicy, so I decided to use just soy sauce and add a little of the Asian Seasoning - much better. (I am still trying to figure out what Chinese restaurants use as the dipping sauce with their dumpings...)

Then, I decide to fry the remaining wontons (DH likes them fried better than steamed so I decided to give it a try).

I took the 10" Exec Skillet and put 1 Tablespoon Oil and heated it up over Med-High heat. Then I added 12 of the wontons and "cooked" them until they were brown on the bottom (2-4 minutes) - don't turn them, just let the bottoms get brown. Then add 1/3 cup water, lower heat a little, cover and let the wontons soak up all the liquid (about 5-7 minutes).

It really worked nice. I did 16 this way, so I increased the water to 1/2 cup to make up for the additional wontons.

I :love::love:LOVE:love::love: these!

I just use the Ginger-Wasabi Sauce for dipping - it takes them to a whole new level!

kam said:
(I am still trying to figure out what Chinese restaurants use as the dipping sauce with their dumpings...)

Try a mixture of soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, and a little sesame oil.

ChefBeckyD said:
I :love::love:LOVE:love::love: these!

I just use the Ginger-Wasabi Sauce for dipping - it takes them to a whole new level!
I thought of that (based on your earlier review) - but DH doesn't care for the Ginger-Wasabi. I have the other 1/2 lb of turkey left - so I will have to try it when I make them again this week. :)

PampChefJoy said:
Try a mixture of soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, and a little sesame oil.
I have the Toasted Sesame Oil that is called for in the Asian Pork & Noodle Skillet recipe - will it work as well as regular sesame oil?

kam said:
I have the Toasted Sesame Oil that is called for in the Asian Pork & Noodle Skillet recipe - will it work as well as regular sesame oil?

Yes, it's pretty much the same thing... a little dab will do ya... it really perks up the flavor, though you can just do soy sauce and vinegar.

DH and I made these on Saturday. We doubled the receipe and had 48 of them. Oh my gosh were they good.

I have the sauce saved in the fridge for something later and we loved the Ginger Wasbi also. Which reminds me I have to order more. ;)

I my ex boyfriend was japanese, and we made the sauce that tasted just like the restaraunts one time. I remember we put some kind of chili paste in it and either chives or something like that.

Lee Kum Kee makes a chili/garlic paste that many grocery stock in the Asian food section. I like that it adds a little zip and a little garlic to whatever I'm making.

Okay when we made them at our meeting at my place we got 28. When I made them at my show last week we got 32 and my small scoop was FULL. Anyone else get this many?

We had these for dinner last night--the fourth time I have made them. My DH, DS and I love them!! In addition to the asian seasoning, I also add extra fresh garlic and grated ginger root. We like the Ginger Wasabi Sauce, as well. I get about 18-20 out of a recipe, but I used rounded small scoops of the turkey mixture.The Ginger Wasabi is also great with fresh salmon! I just brush it on the salmon and broil it for about 8-10 minutes until the glaze gets nice and brown--so easy, yet so tasty!

We had these at our cluster meeting and at a recipe bash night. I much prefer them with beef but I wasn't a big fan of the gooey wontons!

I'm going grocery shopping Thursday, I'm going to make sure I write down what I need for these so we can finally try them. They sound so yummy!

I liked the flavor, but really didn't like the wontons cooked this way. They were sticking to each other and were a bit rubbery/chewy. I mean they were okay, but I prefer them fried--But that's something I feel guilty doing these days as I look at myself in the mirror! :rolleyes:

babywings76 said:
I liked the flavor, but really didn't like the wontons cooked this way. They were sticking to each other and were a bit rubbery/chewy. I mean they were okay, but I prefer them fried--But that's something I feel guilty doing these days as I look at myself in the mirror! :rolleyes:

The frying didn't seem "that bad". I only used 1 Tablespoon of oil for 16 wontons.

I have a 1/2 lb of the turkey left and I am going to make another batch this weekend. Can't wait to try some of the sauce suggestions!

kam said:
The frying didn't seem "that bad". I only used 1 Tablespoon of oil for 16 wontons.

I have a 1/2 lb of the turkey left and I am going to make another batch this weekend. Can't wait to try some of the sauce suggestions!

I'll have to try it that way. The way I've done them in the past was where you use a lot of oil and immerse them practically. But your right , 1 tbsp. doesn't sound too bad. ;)

Does anyone have this recipe? I gave away my seasons best.....

You can view all the Season's Best recipes on CC. Just go to the recipes section, select the season's best categories, then enter in the season and year you want, then it'll bring up all of the recipes in that issue.

1. What ingredients do I need to make Steamed Wonton Purses?

To make Steamed Wonton Purses, you will need wonton wrappers, ground pork or chicken, soy sauce, sesame oil, green onions, garlic, ginger, and a steamer basket.

2. Can I use a different type of protein in the filling?

Yes, you can use any type of protein you prefer such as shrimp, tofu, or beef. Just make sure to cook it thoroughly before filling the wonton wrappers.

3. How many wonton purses does this recipe make?

This recipe makes approximately 24 wonton purses.

4. Can I freeze the wonton purses for later?

Yes, you can freeze the wonton purses before steaming them. Just make sure to place them in an airtight container or freezer bag. When ready to eat, steam them for a few minutes longer than if they were fresh.

5. Can I use a different dipping sauce?

Absolutely! You can use any type of dipping sauce you prefer, such as sweet and sour, teriyaki, or peanut sauce. Feel free to get creative and experiment with different flavors.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
MaryannNic
  • MomToEli
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
ShanaSmith
  • kam
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies