• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

How do you organize your home office for direct sales success?

In summary, the author suggests using a bookshelf to store everything for their office, including completed packets and recruiting materials.
PamperedK
Silver Member
I'm working babysteps on getting more organized, but I am looking for some pointers. I've read through most of the organization threads I could find on here to get ideas but there's still some things I need help with.

My office is quite small. Part of it is taken up by a bed as it is partly our spare room.

I have lots of shelves, but the shape of the office doesn't allow any of them to be near the desk, so things I need on a daily basis really shouldn't be on those shelves. Right?

• What do you do with your host packet stuff? Right now I have my "papers" in a hanging file rack on my desk, my catalogs are across the room on a shelf, my invites are also across the room and my outside order forms I print as I need them. It just seems like when I put host packages together, it's chaos!
  • What do you do with postcards? I have literally over 1000 postcards and I'm not sure what to do with them or where to put them. I use them a lot, for team recognition, host coaching, host thank you's, customer care, recruiting, etc...
  • I have 2 printers - a B&W laser and a colour ink-jet. I also have a lot of different paper (different colours as well as cardstock and regular printing paper) What do you do with all the paper? I have paper trays and they're stacked on top of a shelf that is over one of my printers...but the 2 printers seem to take up a lot of room. I don't want to get rid of one because I need the colour printing sometimes, but I like the laserjet for multiple copies because it's cheaper. Any ideas??
  • Where do you keep completed host packets and recruiting packets? I'd love to make them up ahead of time but I don't know where to put them.
  • Where do you put product? I don't have a lot of 'inventory' but I kind of do...I'm not sure what to do with it. Currently it's on built-in shelves above the bed.
I think that's it for now...I'll post more if I think of any.

Have you thought of portable bins for the items that go in your packets? That way you could make just one trip across the room to bring the bin over to your desk for putting your packets together. Completed packets could be kept in an open bin, so you could grab them as you need them.

raebates said:
Have you thought of portable bins for the items that go in your packets? That way you could make just one trip across the room to bring the bin over to your desk for putting your packets together. Completed packets could be kept in an open bin, so you could grab them as you need them.

You mean like one bin that keeps all the stuff for the host kit? I did that before and I ended up with a big mess! What would end up happening is I would come home from a show with the items my host didn't use, and I'd throw that stuff into the basket. By the next month, I had to sort through the basket for 20 minutes to get everything ready! Maybe I just need to clean it out more often. Or do you mean grabbing the stuff from their spots and putting it into an empty bin every time I'm going to do host packets? Cause that might just work......

I like the idea of keeping completed packets in an open bin...just have to figure out where to keep that bin...

Oh, no, I'm definitely not talking about just tossing the stuff in a bin. I like bins with hanging files or with smaller bins inside. Each item has a separate file or bin--invitations, host letters, OOFs, etc. That way you can put the stuff the a host didn't use back in the proper file or bin so it will be ready next time you're putting packets together.

raebates said:
Oh, no, I'm definitely not talking about just tossing the stuff in a bin. I like bins with hanging files or with smaller bins inside. Each item has a separate file or bin--invitations, host letters, OOFs, etc. That way you can put the stuff the a host didn't use back in the proper file or bin so it will be ready next time you're putting packets together.

Oh ok that makes more sense!! I'll have to look around to see what I can find.

I purchased a bookshelf at Walmart just over a year ago. It's pretty big and for it's size and how nice it looks, it really was a great investment. I keep everything for my office on that. Now as for extra products and things that would be considered inventory that is on shelves in my basement - but I have a lot of that stuff so I need the space for it down there.

As for the shelf in the office it is one of those wood frame bookshelves that is about six foot tall by 3 foot wide. It has five shelves. Everything is on there. My printer is even on there. I have decorative boxes - live the different sizes you can buy at craft stores or I think I got mine at Marshalls - that are all different sizes that hold everything. One has all the postcard invitations in it. My completed hostess packets - I make mine up in two pocket folders - are ready and sitting upright with the envelopes I mail them in beside the printer. I have one of those sliding three draw plastic boxes that holds paper and sitting up between that and the side of the shelf is the different packets of labels. There is one big box that has recruiting packets already made up in it. My catalogs sit on the shelf below that - if they are stamped/labeled they sit on top but if I haven't gotten to label them yet I don't take them out of the packet. Extra office supplies are in decorative boxes with lids. I do have a filing cabinet and one of the drawers is PC stuff in hanging files. That is where extra copies and things like that are but I try to make up enough packets of recruiting and hosting to last me for a season and then I only have to add specials when I pull them to send.

I hope that helps. I have been really lost in the whole organizing thing for a while but this has really helped me. I will be moving (again) in a few months and I am looking forward to making a few changes but not many. Right now I am working on paring down and simplifying so I can carry as much of my business with me rather than handing it over to the movers, since I won't see that stuff again for about six weeks I would prefer to hang onto my stuff.

One thing I do is that most of my stuff as far as training and ideas that are actually hard copy instead of on the computer are all in a three ring binder. I pull things from Consultants News that I want to keep and put it in the binder behind the tab that works for it - recruiting, booking, host coaching, etc. I also am a big fan of the Power Hour system but again, I have put that in a three ring binder. It works much better for me that way. I'm a huge three ring binder fan - that is how I do my household bills too. If it interests you feel free to ask any questions you have about it.

Ok, I am organizationally challenged...you would die or possibly be eaten by the paper monster if you saw my office. The one organization item I purchased that I LOVE is a wire shelf that is compact, 2 columns with 6 shelves and the top is flat. It is perfect for papers. I keep my printer paper, color paper, envelopes, labels, extra notebooks, folders, sheet protectors, card stock, extra notepads/post-its on the shelves and I keep my catalogs stacked on top. It fits nicely under my multi-purpose table, and I still have leg room when sitting in a chair. The shelves are about the size of brown 10x13 envelope and purchased at Costco last year. I'm sure you could find something comparable on line or check out the Container Store. I am very visual so this allows me to see what I have on hand and I know with a glance what I need more of or what I can wait on. I typically use mine just for supplies, but you could easily store host kits, postcards, order forms, catalogs, etc on it. Mine has 12 shelves and evolved into what I use it for today. Hope that helps.

missyciccolella said:
Ok, I am organizationally challenged...you would die or possibly be eaten by the paper monster if you saw my office. The one organization item I purchased that I LOVE is a wire shelf that is compact, 2 columns with 6 shelves and the top is flat. It is perfect for papers. I keep my printer paper, color paper, envelopes, labels, extra notebooks, folders, sheet protectors, card stock, extra notepads/post-its on the shelves and I keep my catalogs stacked on top. It fits nicely under my multi-purpose table, and I still have leg room when sitting in a chair. The shelves are about the size of brown 10x13 envelope and purchased at Costco last year. I'm sure you could find something comparable on line or check out the Container Store. I am very visual so this allows me to see what I have on hand and I know with a glance what I need more of or what I can wait on. I typically use mine just for supplies, but you could easily store host kits, postcards, order forms, catalogs, etc on it. Mine has 12 shelves and evolved into what I use it for today. Hope that helps.

that sounds really interesting....Would it be too big to put ontop of the desk? I have a BIG desk but I don't want it to be too cluttered. I'm imagining it under my printer.

It would fit on your desk, but it might be tall...I am 5'4", the top hits me just above my knee with running shoes on, and if you laid 2 brown envelopes out on the desk that is about the width (clasps in front, side by side).
Does that make any sense at all?
I can't locate my yard stick...the kids used it for something over spring break and it never made it back to it's hiding place behind the office door.

pcsharon1 said:
I purchased a bookshelf at Walmart just over a year ago. It's pretty big and for it's size and how nice it looks, it really was a great investment. I keep everything for my office on that. Now as for extra products and things that would be considered inventory that is on shelves in my basement - but I have a lot of that stuff so I need the space for it down there.

As for the shelf in the office it is one of those wood frame bookshelves that is about six foot tall by 3 foot wide. It has five shelves. Everything is on there. My printer is even on there. I have decorative boxes - live the different sizes you can buy at craft stores or I think I got mine at Marshalls - that are all different sizes that hold everything. One has all the postcard invitations in it. My completed hostess packets - I make mine up in two pocket folders - are ready and sitting upright with the envelopes I mail them in beside the printer. I have one of those sliding three draw plastic boxes that holds paper and sitting up between that and the side of the shelf is the different packets of labels. There is one big box that has recruiting packets already made up in it. My catalogs sit on the shelf below that - if they are stamped/labeled they sit on top but if I haven't gotten to label them yet I don't take them out of the packet. Extra office supplies are in decorative boxes with lids. I do have a filing cabinet and one of the drawers is PC stuff in hanging files. That is where extra copies and things like that are but I try to make up enough packets of recruiting and hosting to last me for a season and then I only have to add specials when I pull them to send.

I hope that helps. I have been really lost in the whole organizing thing for a while but this has really helped me. I will be moving (again) in a few months and I am looking forward to making a few changes but not many. Right now I am working on paring down and simplifying so I can carry as much of my business with me rather than handing it over to the movers, since I won't see that stuff again for about six weeks I would prefer to hang onto my stuff.

One thing I do is that most of my stuff as far as training and ideas that are actually hard copy instead of on the computer are all in a three ring binder. I pull things from Consultants News that I want to keep and put it in the binder behind the tab that works for it - recruiting, booking, host coaching, etc. I also am a big fan of the Power Hour system but again, I have put that in a three ring binder. It works much better for me that way. I'm a huge three ring binder fan - that is how I do my household bills too. If it interests you feel free to ask any questions you have about it.

I'm going to read this through and come back with questions a bit later...

BUT I think maybe the issue I'm having is my bookshelf is quite shallow. The shelves are only 6" deep so there's not a lot I can do - I can't put catalogs on it unless they're standing up, so I'm left with keeping my training books, a few binders and baskets with prizes on it.

I think I know of the bookshelf you're talking about - I'm sure it's the same one we have in our basement. I LOVE them. I love how big it is. I'm just worried that it will be quite imposing in my little office...I'll have to take some measurements.

missyciccolella said:
It would fit on your desk, but it might be tall...I am 5'4", the top hits me just above my knee with running shoes on, and if you laid 2 brown envelopes out on the desk that is about the width (clasps in front, side by side).
Does that make any sense at all?
I can't locate my yard stick...the kids used it for something over spring break and it never made it back to it's hiding place behind the office door.

Yes, that makes sense...so you have yours on the floor?? I have floor space under my desk...it's not awkward? (awkward is a really awkward word to spell, btw)

LOOK at this!

organizer.jpg

It's very expensive but those shelves actually slide in and out! I love it!

Winnipegk said:
LOOK at this!

organizer.jpg

Would that support a printer or maybe even a monitor?

pcsharon1 said:
Would that support a printer or maybe even a monitor?

I think it would. I have a laptop so I'm just looking to support my printer....Or even other items that I can take off my desk...but I think it might be TOO big...but it would fit under my desk.

It's $200 regular..but through work I can get it for $70. Which is still a LOT considering my dad is pretty handy and could probably throw something together for me for a lot less...maybe I should talk to him!

eta: I just looked at the specs and it looks like it will only hold 9" by 12" when I really need it to support host packages in 10X13 envies.

I just recently bought those rubbermaid drawer things for all of my papers/host packet/guest packet/recruiting packet items. I bought 6 & each one has 3 drawers. I've got a label on every drawer telling me what's inside each one. My host packet items are in 2 so I just grab those two sets & off to the floor I go to make my host packets. Same way for the other items. I've got them on top of my filing cabinet. It basically looks like what you've got above, but the things that slide out are drawers, not trays.

Winnipegk said:
Yes, that makes sense...so you have yours on the floor?? I have floor space under my desk...it's not awkward? (awkward is a really awkward word to spell, btw)

Yes, awkward is awkward...every time I spell it I have to double check it.LOL
I have a table, smaller than a typical rectangular fold-up table...maybe 4' long and 2 1/2' wide (again a total guess). I keep it under the table b/c I don't typically use everything on the shelves daily, and I like a BIG work space. I like to spread out, the kids can use it...a whole different topic.
The shelves are similar to the shelves pictured above, but it looks like a shrunk down version of the metal shelves you would see in a Williams-Sonoma catalog (and for paperwork not pantry items). I have the shelves off center so I can still stretch my legs. I usually sit with my legs crossed (what we used to call Indian Style, but now they say "Criss-Cross" or maybe yoga style:p). My computer is not on the table so I'm not always sitting there; I might re-think if I sat there all the time, but it has never bothered me in the past.

Winnipegk said:
LOOK at this!

organizer.jpg

I also think mine has a bit more shelf space (taller shelf)), but very similar and I paid around $20-25 for it...if memory serves. I can't imagine I would paid anymore than $25...

crystalscookingnow said:
I just recently bought those rubbermaid drawer things for all of my papers/host packet/guest packet/recruiting packet items. I bought 6 & each one has 3 drawers. I've got a label on every drawer telling me what's inside each one. My host packet items are in 2 so I just grab those two sets & off to the floor I go to make my host packets. Same way for the other items. I've got them on top of my filing cabinet. It basically looks like what you've got above, but the things that slide out are drawers, not trays.

That's a good idea...do you mean the white, tall units? I have one with 2 small drawers and 2 large drawers. Do you find they hold up when you have heavy items in there?

When you say you 'grab those two sets' do you mean drawers or units? I'm easily confused today - sorry!! I'm just trying to picture what you mean.

Don't even ASK what MY office looks like right now, I'm right where you are. However, I remember way back when Carolyn was organizing her office someone posted that they use shoe bags that hang over the back of the door for all their postcards instead of having to have a separate box or drawer with dividers for them. Each shoe pocket held a different group of postcards.

Might be one small idea for you if you could utilize the back of your door...that is if you HAVE a door ;)

kcjodih said:
Don't even ASK what MY office looks like right now, I'm right where you are. However, I remember way back when Carolyn was organizing her office someone posted that they use shoe bags that hang over the back of the door for all their postcards instead of having to have a separate box or drawer with dividers for them. Each shoe pocket held a different group of postcards.

Might be one small idea for you if you could utilize the back of your door...that is if you HAVE a door ;)

I love that idea! But yeah...I don't really have a door that's accessible...I do have a door but it would be a pain to get to it every time I needed a postard. I really want some pretty boxes with index spots on the front that I can label with the type of postcards that are inside...but I can't seem to find any!!

kcjodih said:

HA! I listened to a professional organizer speak, and she suggested the hanging shoe rack (with pockets) to hang over the door to store items...well, I decided to store my current book for my club book there and when it came time to discuss the book I couldn't find it! I was "getting organized" and couldn't find it.
Go with the box idea...what about a shoe box (or similar box)...like a photo box. You can buy the tabs at an office store, and if you feel crafty, spray an old shoe box with spray adhesive (available at Wal-Mart) and cover with fabric, paper, whatever you like and makes you happy. :D That is my current way to be crafty...I lack in that department too.

Winnipegk said:
I love that idea! But yeah...I don't really have a door that's accessible...I do have a door but it would be a pain to get to it every time I needed a postard. I really want some pretty boxes with index spots on the front that I can label with the type of postcards that are inside...but I can't seem to find any!!

Look for photo boxes. JoAnn Fabrics, Hobby Lobby, Michaels, etc, all carry them.

I have been hitting our dollar stores here and getting smaller boxes and things. My problem here is that I don't have a space I can call my office. Right now I have everything stored next to my chair in the living room. I sit here and do most of my work. We also have a futon for a couch right now so I slide boxes under there for storage.

Once all of the remodeling is done in the house, I'll have a place to call my own for the business, but right now I'm just makind due with little space.

I can't stand clutter, so if it isn't neat and put away i wouldn't ever come in here to work. I think i posted pictured a feew years ago it hasn't changed because it worksI have LB baskets all over my office they are organized by category
1 has catalogs
1 has host packet stuff (including extra catalogs) I keep all copies in the polyvinyl accordian pleated folders (sorted by color recipes in orange, host planner in purple, website sheet in red etc )
1 has postcards
1 DPS

PamperedK said:
LOOK at this!

organizer.jpg

This is exactly what I would suggest for paper but you also have those ones that are cheaper that you put together. They don't slide out but you can still see the colors of the paper.

Some thing else that I love to suggest is a rolling cart that you can hang file folders in. In each file, you can put each item that goes in to your hostess packets. Once you are done creating the packets, simply roll the filing cart away. We use them all the time in the office and I am suggesting them more and more to the people I help organize.

I have the stackable cubes that you can buy at AC Moore/Michaels and Target. I have the white ones and some are just open cubes with a shelf in them and door, some have 4 drawers, some have 4 slat dividers, some have 3 wide shallow drawers etc. I love that they are mix-n-match and it works for everything. I even have my printer on top. The one with the slat dividers is great for binders and for use with magazine holders (which catalogs go in well!). ALso next to those I have a wicker 4 drawer filing cabinet on wheels which I use the green hanging folders in - label everything and find what works for you. ie: a drawer for show files (then in numerical order by show #), a drawer for Host & Guest Packets Info etc.

Last but not least, if you are a pack rat on the computer (like me), then there is a simple system - folders by subject. One master folder I named Pampered Chef (deep thought huh?) then in that folder there are folders for all subjects: Training, Flyers & Order Forms, Consultant News, Recipes, Product Uses, Shows, Host Packets, Guest Packets, Business Forms/Files, Fundraisers, Registries etc.

Binders, Binders, Binders - my final words. :D

What is the purpose of the "(Another) Organization Thread"?

The "(Another) Organization Thread" is a forum where Pampered Chef consultants can come together to share tips, strategies, and support for organizing their business, events, and workspace.

Who can participate in the "(Another) Organization Thread"?

Any Pampered Chef consultant is welcome to join the "(Another) Organization Thread" and contribute to the discussions and resources shared. It is a great opportunity to connect with other consultants and learn from their experiences.

How do I access the "(Another) Organization Thread"?

The "(Another) Organization Thread" is located on the Pampered Chef Consultant Community website. Simply log in to your account and navigate to the "Forums" section. From there, you can find the thread under the "Business" category.

What types of topics are discussed in the "(Another) Organization Thread"?

The "(Another) Organization Thread" covers a wide range of topics related to organization in the Pampered Chef business. This includes tips for keeping track of orders, managing inventory, scheduling parties, and setting up a workspace.

Can I ask for specific advice or share my own tips in the "(Another) Organization Thread"?

Absolutely! The "(Another) Organization Thread" is meant to be a collaborative and supportive space for consultants to help each other. Feel free to ask for advice or share your own tips and strategies for staying organized in your Pampered Chef business.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Kelly8
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
ChefJen2012
  • naekelsey
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
esavvymom
  • msmileyface