1. Pampered Chef relies on relationships and communication. How are you managing your business in the wake of Coronavirus and social distancing? Discuss here
    Dismiss Notice

Pampered Chef: Another 'help my understand facebook' question

1. legacypc46

legacypc46 Senior Member Gold Member

I've tried looking this up on the FB help page, but it just left my mind in knots.

I've noticed that when I post an update, it also appears beside my picture in the friends lists of my friends.

When I look at the friends lists of my friends, I also sometimes see a posting next to the picture of people I don't know on their list. (Just writing this is confusing me!).

The bottom line is how do I prevent my status from posting on those friend lists where people I don't know can see them? I have all my settings to 'friends only', so I don't know understand how it is happening.

Any FB-smart folks there who can help me?

Thanks in advance!!!!!!!!!!

Sep 14, 2009
  2. Shawnna

Shawnna Senior Member Gold Member

Anything you post on your page will show up on your friend's page which makes it available for their friends to see it. I haven't been able to find a way for it not to.

Sep 14, 2009
  3. Judybabe

Judybabe Guest

wow, I didn't know that!

Perhaps we should eliminate friends? Another question, can these people who see this respond directly to us?

Sep 14, 2009
  4. chefann

chefann Legend Member Gold Member

When you post a status update, only the people you specify can see it (friends). If you post a comment on your friend's update, then everyone who can see their update (their friends) can see your comment.

Sep 14, 2009
  5. legacypc46

I don't think that is happening...at least I'm not seeing any posts made by friends of friends and I don't think my stuff is showing up on their walls.

This is my problem:
    Say I click on my friend Jills' list of friends. Her list opens up showing everyone's pictures and their locations. On some of them, their latest status appears next to their picture. At first I thought it only happened when the person was a mutual friend, but that isn't always the case. For example, I don't know Jill's friend Joe, but his latest status update is appearing in her friends list.

How do I keep my status updates from appearing in other people's friends lists?

Sep 14, 2009
  6. ChefLoriG

ChefLoriG Advanced Member Gold Member

i have enough trouble keeping up with my own status and reading wall posts, I don't think most people are clicking friends lists to check them out too

Sep 14, 2009
  7. NooraK

NooraK Legend Member Gold Member

If you're looking at a friend's "Friends" list, you will see the status updates of those who are mutual friends, and those whose profile is set to "Everyone" or "Friends of Friends." If your profile is set to Friends only, your status update won't show like that to anyone except your friends.

You'll notice that you'll probably also be able to click these people's names and view their whole profile.

Sep 14, 2009
  8. NooraK

NooraK Legend Member Gold Member

If you post on someone's wall, mutual friends can see the post. Often, it will also show in the "News Feed" on your home page. It'll show up as Suzy Que -> Sally Shoe: Yadda, yadda, yadda... There will also be a link that says "See Wall-to-Wall" which will show any wall posts between those two people.

They have to be mutual friends of both to see it on your News Feed, which means they'll also see the friend's response to you. If Suzy Que is your friend, but Sally Shoe is not, Sally will be able to see what you post on Suzy's wall, but not what Sally posts on yours (unless your profile is public). They can see a little line on Sally's wall that says Sally posted on your wall. Oh, and she'll actually have to go to Suzy's page to see it, it won't show in her News feed.

Sep 14, 2009
  9. Shawnna

Shawnna Senior Member Gold Member

that makes sense.

Sep 14, 2009
  10. babywings76

babywings76 Legend Member Gold Member

Go to "settings", then "privacy settings", then "profile". You can then set everything to "only friends". Then people can only see your picture, but they can't see your wall, photos, or info.

Sep 14, 2009
  11. babywings76

babywings76 Legend Member Gold Member

Also...just a side note:

You can also create lists to organize your "friends". Such as: family, High School, College, Work, Church, CS, etc. -- or however you like to group them. Then you can set certain things private, for example...only family can see your photos, or whatever.

Sep 14, 2009
  12. starrmarie

starrmarie Member

WOW, I have a headache just reading this thread! lol, I am so lost on FB!

Sep 14, 2009
  13. legacypc46

Thanks! (And thanks to everyone else too)

Sep 14, 2009
Have something to add?