• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Proper Etiquette for Pet Owners: Avoiding Unwanted Greetings and Germs

In summary, people who own dogs should take care not to let them jump on people when they are visiting, and also to keep them under control when they are not at home.
Chef Stacy Edwards said:
My opinion, of course i am coming from the animal lover side of things ( 4 labs, 3 horses, 2 roosters,4 hens) I feel that if you are being invited to a home for a demo and you as a consultant are not an animal lover. Then instead of starting off on the wrong foot with the host. Weather the host does or does not put the animals away is up to them and if you are not comfortable with this then ask someone else to do the show that dosen't have a problem with animals. My director is not fond of animals at her demos so we have an agreement that instead of hurting the owners/host feelings she asks me to do the show. Some plp (elderly, handicap etc.) familys it is there life, hobby and most importantly companion for life.
I just wanted to put my $.02 in. Not to make anyone upset either way.

Uhmmm...I don't think so. It is nice that you guys have this arrangement. I'm glad that's working for you. However, I cannot give my shows away. Does your director walk in to do her shows sees that there's and animal and calls you right away?

I don't think it is starting on the wrong foot by asking them to crate or contain their pet. The wording that was mentioned earlier from Paulette's host packet letter was not mean or rude. It was a polite way to protect herself and her belongings.

It is weird that this is such a touchy subject. I am sure that I've come across nasty. I have respected your opinions on this subject and that is what I expect in return. I haven't been rude. Just honest to myself. This is how I feel.

I don't think you are rude or nasty in what you said. I don't know why people who aren't animal lovers aren't allowed to have opinions! I have been made to feel like a sub-human low life scum for not liking animals so I usually keep my opinions to myself anymore! And after this discussion, I'll continue doing that...even if it's online!

rennea said:
How sweet, she is a sweety!! Good job on the crate idea, that is what we have done. It worked with two of ours but not our bassett hound:rolleyes: She will learn to like her crate, it will become her little hide away.

Rennea

I have to tell you the collar seems to be working. It doesn't seem to bother her either than the little static shock. You know when you rub your feet on the carpet and then touch metal? That is what she feels. It will beep and a little light will flash when she barks loud enough. So not a lot but enough to make a difference. Her barking believe it or not has cut down in half. She does whine, but I'll take that over the barking. She only wears the collar when I leave the house and when she goes to bed. It should be no more than week according to some reviews that she should have to wear this thing. She has also tamed down a bit too during the day when we are home. As for the pictures are when we first got her. Now she is over 12 pounds and getting lighter in color. I will take some more today and post them.

I own two cats and they are very well behaved, as cats go, anyway. They have the good sense to run away and hide when people come over, and only make an appearance if they know who the person is.I did one show where a person's dog insisted on sniffing up my skirt every five minutes. LOL. I told the dog, i am sorry cutie, but I'm married. LOL. Cats don't bother me since they don't usually jump around my demo items, but I always ask if the host would put their dog in another room or outside, especially since lots of people will be eating and won't want their plates eaten from, food stolen, etc., or they might try to get my ingredients from a table. If women bring their children, the kids are usually put in the back room with the dog, lol. I have been fortunate not to have people insist that the dog has free reign around the house when guests are over.

Animal lover here.
My only issue is going into a hosts kitchen and finding the cat food dish on the counter! now that is gross.(JMO)
i know it's usually there because of the dog of the house but PLEASE.

I have a BIG dog and 2 cats the cats dine in the basement and even when the dog does go down she doesn't eat the kitty food (most likely out of "feline fear" :D ):D

sailortena said:
I did one show where a person's dog insisted on sniffing up my skirt every five minutes. LOL. I told the dog, i am sorry cutie, but I'm married. LOL.

Haha - that's funny. I'll need to remember that line. I'm not on either side of this debate, but just wanted to share a funny dog experience that happened just a couple of weeks ago. I was at a host's home who had a dog, and the 4 guests that showed up all brought their dogs (I have to admit that I thought that was rather strange, but whatever). The dogs "played" in the other room - they were wrestling, biting each other, etc., but fun, not hurtful. Then as soon as I started demoing, I kid you not, all five dogs came in and sat down in front of me, watching the demo. It was hilarious, because they actually looked like they were interested. Of course they were all just waiting for me to drop some food, but they sat through that whole demo - never bothered anyone, and I actually found myself talking to them as if they were part of the crowd. At the end they all got a reward - a piece of chicken from my Aloha Pizza, and then turned around and went back to their playing. The husband took a picture - I'll have to e-mail him and ask him to forward it, because it was just so funny looking. The host thanked me afterwards for being a good sport...

dianevill said:
Haha - that's funny. I'll need to remember that line. I'm not on either side of this debate, but just wanted to share a funny dog experience that happened just a couple of weeks ago. I was at a host's home who had a dog, and the 4 guests that showed up all brought their dogs (I have to admit that I thought that was rather strange, but whatever). The dogs "played" in the other room - they were wrestling, biting each other, etc., but fun, not hurtful. Then as soon as I started demoing, I kid you not, all five dogs came in and sat down in front of me, watching the demo. It was hilarious, because they actually looked like they were interested. Of course they were all just waiting for me to drop some food, but they sat through that whole demo - never bothered anyone, and I actually found myself talking to them as if they were part of the crowd. At the end they all got a reward - a piece of chicken from my Aloha Pizza, and then turned around and went back to their playing. The husband took a picture - I'll have to e-mail him and ask him to forward it, because it was just so funny looking. The host thanked me afterwards for being a good sport...

Oh my gosh that is too funny!!:D Don't you wish everyone was like that at shows!

tpchefrebecca said:
Rennea

I have to tell you the collar seems to be working. It doesn't seem to bother her either than the little static shock. You know when you rub your feet on the carpet and then touch metal? That is what she feels. It will beep and a little light will flash when she barks loud enough. So not a lot but enough to make a difference. Her barking believe it or not has cut down in half. She does whine, but I'll take that over the barking. She only wears the collar when I leave the house and when she goes to bed. It should be no more than week according to some reviews that she should have to wear this thing. She has also tamed down a bit too during the day when we are home. As for the pictures are when we first got her. Now she is over 12 pounds and getting lighter in color. I will take some more today and post them.
I'm glad it's working for you and you have found it a good training tool. I myself have never had to use them, mine only bark if somebody comes too the door (knock on wood:) ) I just love the photos of her makes me want one.......

Last edited:
Dog Owner & Completely in Agreement!I have 2 "ankle bitters" Bichon's. Pretend dogs my neighbor call 'em.. :) I completely agree (germ-a-phobe) here...

At some recent shows, I have two cat's all over my demo table (repeatedly) :eek:

& a Bull Mastif (female, as big as me (see "big girl" in dictionary) & "friendly" <--ya right?!? ~ almost take my hand off! :eek: :eek:

I ?? love ?? clueless people! :mad:

I LOVE this tread! :D

Hmmm, you guys have me wondering if my girls have ever offended any of my guests in my home. I have two Miniature Schnauzers who are definitely part of the family and have no idea they are not human. LOL! They definitely bark when the doorbell rings, then they have to get a couple barks in when they see you (with tails wagging the whole time) because they KNOW you're here to see THEM. Then I have one who will calm down and go lay down, but the other one.... She's crazy! We adopted her about a year and half ago when she was almost 10 and she's hopeless! I love her but I always say she's an "affection whore." If you start petting her, don't even think you can just stop. She'll inch closer and closer, get on the couch next to you, paw you, etc. But, they don't go for the face (except me and my family). They just want love. I guess I need to be more careful about letting her "pursue" the affection the way she does because I would hate to offend anyone.

chefkeri said:
Bull Mastif (female, as big as me (see "big girl" in dictionary) & "friendly" <--ya right?!? ~ almost take my hand off! :eek: :eek:

Bull Mastifs scare me, they are so huge!! Pitbulls are another breed that make sure run for cover:eek:

I don't know if its going to happen but there has been talk that pitbulls might be banned in the state of MA. Too many attacks on little kids.

PamperedChefDebi said:
Hmmm, you guys have me wondering if my girls have ever offended any of my guests in my home. I have two Miniature Schnauzers who are definitely part of the family and have no idea they are not human. LOL! They definitely bark when the doorbell rings, then they have to get a couple barks in when they see you (with tails wagging the whole time) because they KNOW you're here to see THEM. Then I have one who will calm down and go lay down, but the other one.... She's crazy! We adopted her about a year and half ago when she was almost 10 and she's hopeless! I love her but I always say she's an "affection whore." If you start petting her, don't even think you can just stop. She'll inch closer and closer, get on the couch next to you, paw you, etc. But, they don't go for the face (except me and my family). They just want love. I guess I need to be more careful about letting her "pursue" the affection the way she does because I would hate to offend anyone.

IMO you have just hit on what I think this thread was started for... just for pet owners to realize that while you may think of your pets as family, not every share the same opinion and people can be offended if animals are "forced" upon them... just being courteous, mindful and RESPECTFUL of other's feelings - both from consultant to host and host to consultant!

chefkristin said:
I don't know if its going to happen but there has been talk that pitbulls might be banned in the state of MA. Too many attacks on little kids.

I think that pitbulls are banned in Ontario, I heard that they were planning on doing so don't know if it ever happened.

Sorry, I just gotta pipe in here...in regards to Debi's post, YOUR dogs live in YOUR home, just as my dog lives in my home. If people come over as a guest in my home, I do not feel that I have to put my dog away, unless they are terrified of dogs. (No one I know is). Everyone who knows me, knows that all you have to do it pat her head a couple of times, and she will be happy with that. I can see requesting to a PC host that they might put their animals somewhere else during the demo if they are going to be obnoxious, but when someone comes into my home as a guest, I would be mortified if someone asked me to put her away. Although, I have had the kids take her into another room when she won't calm down. I'm sure my post will anger some of you, but I had to say something. If you don't like animals, that's your business, and that's okay! but if you are going to enter my home, you have to accept the fact that I have a dog, and deal with it. If you don't want to pet her, that's fine. After her initial excitement (couple minutes), she won't bother you anymore, unless you call her. As I said in a previous post, if I hold her when you come in, she's fine. Sorry if this is "cold", but that's how I feel. Sorry for the long post...

My Lhasa-poo, Buster was the best dog I ever had. We had to let him go last October. :( He was sociable in a polite way. I love dogs & am not especially a cat person but do have a special place in my heart for my grandcat. He come to the door when they yell "Deekie, Grama's here!":)

I also have a Scottish Terrioriest-grandog named Snickers. KG, you are right on about the rodent thing. She hates my DH's RC car:eek: :D :D :D :D

Oh! I forgot....I had a show at the Munster's house last Friday.:rolleyes: The host's DH came walking out with a noisy pouch looking thing hanging around his neck. There was a mesh panel on the pouch & I could see wiggling animals inside.:confused: One of the kids told me they were flying squirrels!:eek: Oh, swell! They were making a noise that sounded mechanical & very unhappy. He told me they were bonding with him. :rolleyes: Whatever.

The next day when I spoke with the host, she told me they are Sugar Gliders & the female is pregnant.

Anybody know anything about these? I googled & they are native of Australia
& in the possum family. At least they can't goose ya.;) :D

tpchefrebecca said:
Here is Nutmeg. All of our pets have been named after culinary terms. She is a red beagle and it seems to fit.
Oh my gosh, she is SOOO cute!!!:D

Chef Endora said:
Oh! I forgot....I had a show at the Munster's house last Friday.:rolleyes: The host's DH came walking out with a noisy pouch looking thing hanging around his neck. There was a mesh panel on the pouch & I could see wiggling animals inside.:confused: One of the kids told me they were flying squirrels!:eek: Oh, swell! They were making a noise that sounded mechanical & very unhappy. He told me they were bonding with him. :rolleyes: Whatever.

The next day when I spoke with the host, she told me they are Sugar Gliders & the female is pregnant.

My FIL use to have one of those darn things! They are cute but freaky! I would never get close enough. I don't remember much about it, this was about 11 1/2 -12 years ago... and I was pregnant with my son, so I had pregnancy brain too!
I'll ask my hubby, he's sure to know and remember it more and see if I can post some more about them on here. Anything in partcular you want to know?

You gave me an idea.I have found all of your points of veiw very interesting. I would like to do well this month and want to fill my calander. I have been trying to "break out of my circle of friends". It is tough!
After reading all of these posts I have come up with an idea. I do not want to insult ANYONE who is not a dog person. I only wish to share an idea with those who might think this could be fun.
I have alot of dog parks near my home.
I am going to make up a flyer to try and book dog cooking shows. We pet lovers spend alot of money on our pets (well I do:rolleyes: ) Why not try and tap into that market? I am sure I could find recipes made for dogs. I have read tips about using the garlic press for crushing pills. I also read somewhere about using the decorator bottles to give liqiud medications. (not something I would do, but hey to each his own:))
I figure my dogs need a walk anyway, what do I have to lose but a couple of bucks in flyers. Who knows it might be kooky enough to work.
If any one has an ideas let me know. Thanks!

tdawson said:
I have found all of your points of veiw very interesting. I would like to do well this month and want to fill my calander. I have been trying to "break out of my circle of friends". It is tough!
After reading all of these posts I have come up with an idea. I do not want to insult ANYONE who is not a dog person. I only wish to share an idea with those who might think this could be fun.
I have alot of dog parks near my home.
I am going to make up a flyer to try and book dog cooking shows. We pet lovers spend alot of money on our pets (well I do:rolleyes: ) Why not try and tap into that market? I am sure I could find recipes made for dogs. I have read tips about using the garlic press for crushing pills. I also read somewhere about using the decorator bottles to give liqiud medications. (not something I would do, but hey to each his own:))
I figure my dogs need a walk anyway, what do I have to lose but a couple of bucks in flyers. Who knows it might be kooky enough to work.
If any one has an ideas let me know. Thanks!

There are recipes on here for Pampered Pooch shows!! Just do a couple searches.

pcchris said:
Sorry, I just gotta pipe in here...in regards to Debi's post, YOUR dogs live in YOUR home, just as my dog lives in my home. If people come over as a guest in my home, I do not feel that I have to put my dog away, unless they are terrified of dogs. (No one I know is). Everyone who knows me, knows that all you have to do it pat her head a couple of times, and she will be happy with that. I can see requesting to a PC host that they might put their animals somewhere else during the demo if they are going to be obnoxious, but when someone comes into my home as a guest, I would be mortified if someone asked me to put her away. Although, I have had the kids take her into another room when she won't calm down. I'm sure my post will anger some of you, but I had to say something. If you don't like animals, that's your business, and that's okay! but if you are going to enter my home, you have to accept the fact that I have a dog, and deal with it. If you don't want to pet her, that's fine. After her initial excitement (couple minutes), she won't bother you anymore, unless you call her. As I said in a previous post, if I hold her when you come in, she's fine. Sorry if this is "cold", but that's how I feel. Sorry for the long post...

I COMPLETELY agree with where you are coming from. BUT at the same time, I would hate someone to NOT come to my house because my dogs are "TOO" friendly for them. If they were really MORTIFIED of dogs, I would have no problem putting my girls in another part of the house. Otherwise, I do make Heidi, the Affection Whore, go somewhere and lay down, and most people say, "No, it's OK" and keep loving on her. Folks would lose on the allergy approach because my dogs are "hypo-allergenic" as dogs go. :) I'M allergic to dogs and cats. ;)

pcchris said:

I totaly respect that you do what you feel is right for you and everyone in your family.... including the 4 legged variety.

I want to give a personal experience... I have a very good friend who has 5 little dogs. They bark like crazy when anyone comes to the door. When our children were smaller (2&3 years old) we had playdates at her house sometimes. The dogs would jump at my daughter looking for attention and kisses. While she liked the dogs this behavior frightened my daughter. It really would irritate me that she knew we did not like to be jumped on but would not always kennel the dogs. I always had a much nicer time at my friends home when the dogs were out of the way for at least part of the time. Now I will say that I still wnet to this friends home In a way I always kind of dreaded it. Would you want as a pet owner for your friends to feel that way? I would not.....

Just my Honest opinion...... I mean no malice toward anyone.....

etteluap70PC said:
I totaly respect that you do what you feel is right for you and everyone in your family.... including the 4 legged variety.

I want to give a personal experience... I have a very good friend who has 5 little dogs. They bark like crazy when anyone comes to the door. When our children were smaller (2&3 years old) we had playdates at her house sometimes. The dogs would jump at my daughter looking for attention and kisses. While she liked the dogs this behavior frightened my daughter. It really would irritate me that she knew we did not like to be jumped on but would not always kennel the dogs. I always had a much nicer time at my friends home when the dogs were out of the way for at least part of the time. Now I will say that I still wnet to this friends home In a way I always kind of dreaded it. Would you want as a pet owner for your friends to feel that way? I would not.....

Just my Honest opinion...... I mean no malice toward anyone.....

That reminds me of my best friend who has a Weimerainer (can't spell it, sorry) This is a huge dog. Before our family of pets we were renting and couldn't have pets at all! Anway, she got this dog as a pup. It was already trained and she took more classes with the kids. My kids were deathly afraid of animals at the time and I asked I needed her to watch my son. My son swore to me that he would be okay and I wanted to see if he would be. He really wanted to go and I had no one else. Well it didn't go well. I came back from my show and she was scared to tell me what happened. They had to baracade my son in a safe corner with all the toys until I got back. The dog would not want to stop playing and her kids didn't want the dog in the crate since she would start barking and crying. Her husband had kept my son company and all the family tried to comfort him. I felt horrible. I couldn't believe I could have let this happened. I never went inside her house for over a year and a half after that. We didn't go trick or treating either even though that was the tradition to go to her house for halloween. It was my decision to keep my kids away from her home so that their dog who thinks she is a child and not a dog could be comfortable in her home. We decided to do play dates at parks, w/o the dog, and the kids still had their friends. This was my decision and I think the best one.

Now that we have a whole family of pets since we bought our home our kids are just fine with small animals. We are working gradually toward larger dogs. They go to puppy class with me which have all sizes and breeds of dogs. I only wish I could have had this back home in SD, CA. My kids love their pets and I can't wait for my friends to visit and see the change.

Chef Endora said:

My sister has gliders, they breed like crazy. They will jump (fly) from person to person and it scares me. They also have a very bad smell to them. They sleep through day and are up all night, they make lots of noise. My sister has 8 right now and two of the femals are going to have babies. My sister spends a lot of time finding good families for them use they are so different and you just can't put them anywhere and feed them anything.

rennea said:
I think that pitbulls are banned in Ontario, I heard that they were planning on doing so don't know if it ever happened.
I've heard that they're trying to do the same thing in California.

Honestly, I think it's all in the way people raise them. I know that not all pitbulls are mean or aggressive, but it's also hard to tell who's raised them to be that way and who hasn't. I just saw a list of the top 75 restricted or banned dog breeds... I guess I'm a little surprised at some of the dogs on there. Like I said before, I'm not exactly an animal lover, but I do have a German Shepherd and it's one of the listed breeds. Chow chows are also listed on there - My grandparents had one when I was growing up, and he was the sweetest dog (dumb too, but mainly sweet! lol).

ahammons said:
I've heard that they're trying to do the same thing in California.

Honestly, I think it's all in the way people raise them. I know that not all pitbulls are mean or aggressive, but it's also hard to tell who's raised them to be that way and who hasn't. QUOTE]

We have one in puppy class. His name is Trouble. I was terrified and didn't want (still don't want) my children to pet him. He is a sweetheart, but one wrong move and you just don't know. he loves treats and the kids to pet him. I guess that is the way with most dogs, but it seems the owners are really trying so that they don't have an aggressive dog. I know I will never get one.

Here's the list if anyone is interested. Sorry it's so long!
1. AIREDALE TERRIER
2. AKBASH
3. AKITA
4. ALAPAHA BLUE BLOOD BULLDOG
5. ALASKAN MALAMUTE
6. ALSATIAN SHEPHERD
7. AMERICAN BULLDOG
8. AMERICAN HUSKY
9. AMERICAN PIT BULL TERRIER
10. AMERICAN STAFFORDSHIRE TERRIER
11. AMERICAN WOLFDOG
12. ANATOLIAN SHEPHERD
13. ARIKARA DOG
14. AUSTRALIAN CATTLE DOG
15. AUSTRALIAN SHEPHERD
16. BELGIAN MALINOIS
17. BELGIAN SHEEPDOG
18. BELGIAN TURVUREN
19. BLUE HEELER
20. BOERBUL
21. BORZOI
22. BOSTON TERRIER
23. BOUVIER DES FLANDRES
24. BOXER
25. BULLDOG
26. BULL TERRIER
27. BULL MASTIFF
28. CANE CORSO
29. CATAHOULA LEOPARD DOG
30. CAUCASIAN SHEPHERD
31. CHINESE SHAR PEI
32. CHOW-CHOW
33. COLORADO DOG
34. DOBERMAN PINSCHER
35. DOGO DE ARGENTINO
36. DOGUE DE BORDEAUX
37. ENGLISH MASTIFFS
38. ENGLISH SPRINGER SPANIEL
39. ESKIMO DOG
40. ESTRELA MOUNTAIN DOG
41. FILA BRASILIERO
42. FOX TERRIER
43. FRENCH BULLDOG
44. GERMAN SHEPHERD DOG
45. GOLDEN RETRIEVER
46. GREENLAND HUSKY
47. GREAT DANE
48. GREAT PYRANEES
49. ITALIAN MASTIFF
50. KANGAL DOG
51. KEESHOND
52. KOMONDOR
53. KOTEZEBUE HUSKY
54. KUVAZ
55. LABRADOR RETRIEVER
56. LEONBERGER
57. MASTIFF
58. NEOPOLITAN MASTIFF
59. NEWFOUNDLAND
60. OTTERHOUND
61. PRESA DE CANARIO
62. PRESA DE MALLORQUIN
63. PUG
64. ROTTWEILER
65. SAARLOOS WOLFHOND
66. SAINT BERNARD
67. SAMOYED
68. SCOTTISH DEERHOUND
69. SIBERIAN HUSKY
70. SPANISH MASTIFF
71. STAFFORDSHIRE BULL TERRIER
72. TIMBER SHEPHERD
73. TOSA INU
74. TUNDRA SHEPHERD
75. WOLF SPITZ

Can you interact with Gliders? They just sounded like they were p***ed off.
Very loud, sort of nasty looking. An acquaintance told me that she got one for her son several years ago & got rid of it because it was mean. If I am gonna have an animal it has to have a sweet disposition or I won't waste my time.

Some of those on the list are surprising - Golden Retriever?
But as far as Pit Bulls go.......I would NEVER let my son around one. You here about attacks too often, and I know some say it's all in how they are raised - but it seems to me that often, after the attack, the owners are mystified "We can't understand - he's always been so gentle - just like part of our family...." Yep - they are all gentle - until they attack a small child. It only takes once, and I don't want my child to be that "once".

Chef Endora said:
Can you interact with Gliders? They just sounded like they were p***ed off.
Very loud, sort of nasty looking. An acquaintance told me that she got one for her son several years ago & got rid of it because it was mean. If I am gonna have an animal it has to have a sweet disposition or I won't waste my time.

My sisters are not mean but they can be mean to each other when they are breeding so I have been told. They "bark" at night when they are running around. If they were up in the daylight then they were probably upset.

I can't believe that pugs are on the list.....:eek:

Where did that list come from?? Are they kidding? Labradors and Goldens? Those are the two most family/kid friendly dogs I know. I know you didn't make the list but whoever did is whacko.

ChefBeckyD said:
But as far as Pit Bulls go.......I would NEVER let my son around one. You here about attacks too often,.

this is the part of the problem why people are so afraid of pitbulls, they are one of the very few breeds who make the news. I know people who have been bitten or chased by poodles or jack russsels and other smaller "friendly" breeds but you don't see them on the news or banned from states do we.

I know, I don't see how Golden retrievers, labs, pugs, german shepherds, and a few other breeds are on that list!!! It's crazy!
The list was made from a group called RDOWS (Responsible Dog Owners of the Western States). I think someone sent it to me in an e-mail, but I can't remember.

reba515 said:
[/COLOR][/B]

this is the part of the problem why people are so afraid of pitbulls, they are one of the very few breeds who make the news. I know people who have been bitten or chased by poodles or jack russsels and other smaller "friendly" breeds but you don't see them on the news or banned from states do we.

Maybe because children aren't killed by a poodle bite? Not trying to be sarcastic or anything - but there is a difference!

I have to say I agree Becky! That is a valid point! Usually your smaller breeds can bite but they are usually not life threatening incidents. With the larger breeds, and the more common ones that attack, it is usually life threatening or at very least life changing!

reba515 said:
[/COLOR][/B]

I know what you mean - my DH comes from a dog-loving family, and each of his brothers have at least one. One has a german shepherd, one has a boxer, two have poodles, and one has an english bulldog and Lapsa Alpsa(sp). I would much rather my children be around the GSD and Boxer than the other ones. The lapsa alpsa has bitten kids in the past, but my SIL just blamed it on the kids. I'm sorry, but there's not way I'd let mine alone with that dog! The poodles also have a tendency to snap at kids. As for the english bulldog, I just don't want her slobbering all over my kids! lol In my experience, the bigger dogs in our family have been the most gentle with kids.... but that's just my experience.

Last edited:
I remember reading about this in a parenting magazine a couple of years ago. It was to remind parents not to leave a baby alone with an animal no matter what...

Baby Girl Killed by Family Dog
Monday, October 9, 2000

A 6-week-old girl died Saturday night after she was mauled by the family's dog, according to the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department.

An uncle baby-sitting the newborn left the child on a bed unattended while he went to the kitchen to prepare a bottle for her, Solis said. When he returned, he found the family's Pomeranian dog on the bed attacking the baby, Solis said.

The man freed the child from the dog and called for help. The baby died shortly after at Queen of the Valley Hospital in West Covina.whose name has been withheld by officials, were in the Philippines, Solis said.
-----------
This is just so sad!

My point exactly. no matter the size or breed.

One freak accident doesn't really convince me....other than I wouldn't ever leave any dog alone with a newborn!

I know we're kind of going off topic with this but I just had to share a situation I'm really uncomfortable with. My next door neighbor, Jennie, had a baby last Monday. She also has a 2 year old dog, Stanley, a yellow lab mix that is very wild and untrained, who is REALLY her baby. He breaks out of the house often, and bites the kids in the neighborhood - as soon as he gets out we make the kids come inside. He has broken the skin on my daughter's arm and my son's head. I don't think he's really trying to be mean (no growling, tail is wagging), I think it's his way of getting attention, but still...

I went to visit Jennie on Thursday (so the baby, Ian, is now 4 days old). The dog was obviously jealous, jumping on me and Jennie trying to get at the baby. Jennie just poo-pooed it and said Ian would need to get used to Stanley. When I'm getting ready to leave, Jennie was starting dinner so I asked her where I should put Ian. She said on the floor. I asked her about Stanley and she said Stanley wouldn't bother him. Very uncomfortable, I started to put Ian down and Stanley immediatey went for him, licking his face. I told Jennie I couldn't put him down - I was uncomfortable with Stanley, and she was kind of irritated with me and said, "Fine, just put him in his crib." I did, and left, but I'm worried that she's doing exactly what she wanted me to do, putting the baby on the floor, and I'm just waiting for that day when the ambulance comes racing up to their house.

The sad thing is that her husband's a cop, and he has the same attitude...The other day he left the baby in the house while he mowed the lawn. I just don't get it...

I don't blame you for being uncomfortable about that! That's pretty scary!

One of the problems with pit bulls is their jaw and tooth construction, to my understanding. I believe they have one of the strongest bites--some insane amount of pounds per square inch of pressure, and their jaws "lock," if I understand correctly, so that you can't get them pried apart once they have bitten down unless they want to let go. Every breed can be dangerous in some way--and I agree that it is mostly an issue of training, socialization, and treatment of the animal.

When we bought our German Shepherd, we were told that she would learn anything very quickly (which she does), but she might not tolerate reprimands and positive reinforment was the best method of training her. We would swat her lightly with a newspaper when she had accidents in the house, but otherwise, we've trained entirely with positive reinforcement, and she's a jewel (as long as you are human and you are supposed to be in our home :) ). She a fantastic watch/guard dog. We do put her in her area when there are other kids around, however, because her protective nature could be a problem if the kids are rough-housing.

I have found this thread completely fascinating. I can relate to many of the opinions--even some of the non-animal-lover ones. Most people are willing to put a dog or other animal away if a guest is uncomfortable. I know I am, and I know most of my animal-owning friends and family are, too.

dianevill said:
The sad thing is that her husband's a cop, and he has the same attitude...The other day he left the baby in the house while he mowed the lawn. I just don't get it...

"The other day":eek: ... the baby is only a few days old!!!:eek: :eek: Did the dad have a monitor on for the baby and a receiver with him? I have done this with my kids - them in their crib, monitor on and me outside with the receiver so I can hear them. But I would NEVER mow the lawn... too much a chance that I wouldn't hear the monitor.

I KNOW I am going to be opening a new can of worms with this comment, but this is something I am VERY passionate about. I have seen TOO many kids come through the ED with injuries that were completely preventable caused by lack of supervision from parents/babysitters/guardians/etc... and unfortunately, not all of these little ones have survived. If you see ANYTHING like this again and you get that "sick-to-your-stomach / somthing-isn't-right" feeling, I would call the local child abuse/neglect hotline. I would rather take the chance of being wrong and having the neighbor never speak to me again than to not do anything and have something happen to the baby! I wouldn't be able to live with the guilt of "what if I called when...".

O.k... down off my soap box here...

katie0128 said:
" If you see ANYTHING like this again and you get that "sick-to-your-stomach / somthing-isn't-right" feeling, I would call the local child abuse/neglect hotline. I would rather take the chance of being wrong and having the neighbor never speak to me again than to not do anything and have something happen to the baby! I wouldn't be able to live with the guilt of "what if I called when...".

O.k... down off my soap box here...
I'm a mandated reporter because of my other profession (although I consider myself "retired" or on a sabbatical because I'd much rather do PC at the moment:) ), and luckily I have never had to make a hotline call other than within the parameters of my old job, but I would if I had to!! Some of the things I hear in the news or wherever make me so mad and I wished someone had called the abuse/neglect hotline. :(

dianevill said:
I know we're kind of going off topic with this but I just had to share a situation I'm really uncomfortable with. My next door neighbor, Jennie, had a baby last Monday. She also has a 2 year old dog, Stanley, a yellow lab mix that is very wild and untrained, who is REALLY her baby. He breaks out of the house often, and bites the kids in the neighborhood - as soon as he gets out we make the kids come inside. He has broken the skin on my daughter's arm and my son's head. I don't think he's really trying to be mean (no growling, tail is wagging), I think it's his way of getting attention, but still...

I went to visit Jennie on Thursday (so the baby, Ian, is now 4 days old). The dog was obviously jealous, jumping on me and Jennie trying to get at the baby. Jennie just poo-pooed it and said Ian would need to get used to Stanley. When I'm getting ready to leave, Jennie was starting dinner so I asked her where I should put Ian. She said on the floor. I asked her about Stanley and she said Stanley wouldn't bother him. Very uncomfortable, I started to put Ian down and Stanley immediatey went for him, licking his face. I told Jennie I couldn't put him down - I was uncomfortable with Stanley, and she was kind of irritated with me and said, "Fine, just put him in his crib." I did, and left, but I'm worried that she's doing exactly what she wanted me to do, putting the baby on the floor, and I'm just waiting for that day when the ambulance comes racing up to their house.

Gives my goose bumps, hope nothing ever happens to that little baby:( Who the heck leave a newborn alone!!! Crazy!!

The same folks that don't put their dog away when people come over. You have to remember that these pets are animals first. They will return to their nature.

ChefBeckyD said:
But as far as Pit Bulls go.......I would NEVER let my son around one. You here about attacks too often, and I know some say it's all in how they are raised - but it seems to me that often, after the attack, the owners are mystified "We can't understand - he's always been so gentle - just like part of our family...." Yep - they are all gentle - until they attack a small child. It only takes once, and I don't want my child to be that "once".

Golden Retrievers won't hurt anyone.... ok, maybe they will kiss you to death but that's about it!!

Wrong"The same folks that don't put their dog away when people come over. You have to remember that these pets are animals first. They will return to their nature."

Entirely not related--it takes poor parenting skills to leave a newborn alone outside of a safe crib environment, with or without an animal present. Just because you love your pets and leave them out when company comes over, that doesn't mean you have poor parenting skills. That's just ridiculous.

Most pet owners know that leaving a baby alone with any dog, cat, or other pet is a liability, so they don't do it. I'm one of those pet owners, and I take offense to the notion that because I love my pets I would be equated with a negligent parent. Nonsense.

<h2>1. Why do people let their dogs answer the door?</h2><p>People may let their dogs answer the door because they view their pet as a member of the family and may not see any harm in it. They may also feel that their dog is friendly and won't harm anyone. However, it is important to remember that not everyone may feel comfortable with dogs answering the door, and it is important to respect others' boundaries and preferences.</p><h2>2. What can I do to avoid being jumped on by a dog when entering someone's home?</h2><p>If you are uncomfortable with dogs jumping on you, it is important to communicate this to the pet owner before entering their home. You can politely ask them to keep their dog restrained or to put them in another room while you are visiting. You can also try to avoid eye contact and turn your body to the side to make yourself seem less threatening to the dog.</p><h2>3. Is it okay to let a dog lick me on the face or hands?</h2><p>This is a personal preference and can vary from person to person. However, it is important to remember that dogs carry bacteria in their mouths, and it is possible to get sick from being licked. It is always a good idea to wash your hands after interacting with any animal.</p><h2>4. How can I politely decline a dog's unwanted greetings?</h2><p>If you are uncomfortable with a dog's greetings, you can politely decline by saying something like, "I'm sorry, I don't feel comfortable with dogs jumping on me. Can you please call them away?" or "I prefer not to be licked by dogs. Is it okay if I pet them instead?" Remember to always communicate your boundaries respectfully.</p><h2>5. Are there any etiquette classes for pet owners?</h2><p>While there may not be specific etiquette classes for pet owners, there are resources available that can help educate pet owners on proper pet etiquette. Some local animal shelters or training facilities may offer classes or workshops on responsible pet ownership. It is also important for pet owners to stay informed and educated on the proper care and behavior of their pets.</p>

1. Why do people let their dogs answer the door?

People may let their dogs answer the door because they view their pet as a member of the family and may not see any harm in it. They may also feel that their dog is friendly and won't harm anyone. However, it is important to remember that not everyone may feel comfortable with dogs answering the door, and it is important to respect others' boundaries and preferences.

2. What can I do to avoid being jumped on by a dog when entering someone's home?

If you are uncomfortable with dogs jumping on you, it is important to communicate this to the pet owner before entering their home. You can politely ask them to keep their dog restrained or to put them in another room while you are visiting. You can also try to avoid eye contact and turn your body to the side to make yourself seem less threatening to the dog.

3. Is it okay to let a dog lick me on the face or hands?

This is a personal preference and can vary from person to person. However, it is important to remember that dogs carry bacteria in their mouths, and it is possible to get sick from being licked. It is always a good idea to wash your hands after interacting with any animal.

4. How can I politely decline a dog's unwanted greetings?

If you are uncomfortable with a dog's greetings, you can politely decline by saying something like, "I'm sorry, I don't feel comfortable with dogs jumping on me. Can you please call them away?" or "I prefer not to be licked by dogs. Is it okay if I pet them instead?" Remember to always communicate your boundaries respectfully.

5. Are there any etiquette classes for pet owners?

While there may not be specific etiquette classes for pet owners, there are resources available that can help educate pet owners on proper pet etiquette. Some local animal shelters or training facilities may offer classes or workshops on responsible pet ownership. It is also important for pet owners to stay informed and educated on the proper care and behavior of their pets.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• GeorgiaPeach
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Chef Endora
Replies
Views
AlowayFamily
Back