• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

andIt Starts...first Airline to Start Charging for Carry-Ons!

In summary, Spirit Airlines is charging $30 for a carry-on bag if you pre-order it online, and $45 if you do not pre-order. The fee goes into effect on April 6th. This is in response to other airlines charging for checked baggage.
esavvymom
Staff member
I wondered how long it would take before an airline would start charging for a Carry-On bag. A whopping $45 ($30 if you pre-order online)!! It's free if you can fit it under your seat.....
Spirit Airlines to charge for carry-on bags - Apr. 6, 2010Should we take bets on how long before the other carriers follow suit? They all seem to watch what happens to the first brave company, and then if things don't fall apart, they all start doing it. At least it doesn't start until August....so should impact anyone for conference flights- but I bet the holidays this year will be costly. Just ridiculous! You pay $$$ for the ticket, then JUST as much just to take a bag or two! It will be cheaper to FedEx the bags to your destination!

Spirit Air has been one of the airlines that has had a LOT of people JUST carry on and not check luggage. No surprises there.Also, the last few times we have flown there was a full row available for each passenger (Chicago to Florida). Really, I am not kidding. There were probably 40 on the flight I took back from Florida in early March. They CAN'T be making ANY money that way!!!

I've never flown that airline, but I know how annoying it can be to be stuck behind people who try to carry on more than they are supposed to take & then you have to wait for them to find a place for all of it. I've been out of the US for so long, I didn't realize that some of the carriers are charging for checked baggage now. It says that they are lowering the checked baggage price so it looks like it would be an incentive for them to check it vs. carrying it on. It might speed up the boarding & deboarding process, but it will increase the number of people standing in line to check baggage at the counter and the number of people standing around waiting for their luggage to come down the conveyor belt. It all sounds like a big hassle either way.I'm shipping clothes from Japan to TX when I go home in May. I'm taking a 1 year old, a 2 year old and what I absolutely HAVE to have on the plane as far as snacks, diapers and toys to keep them entertained. Oh, and of course my laptop & about 6 catalogs & order forms. I'd LOVE to sit on the plane & make a catalog show out of a 12.5 hour flight! LOL (I actually had a dream last month that I had people standing in line on the plane to place orders. Wouldn't THAT be nice. Too bad it was just a dream!)

This is ridiculous!!!! I do know it is annoying when people have large carry-ons, but geez!!

Wow, a catalogue show on a plane. What a cool idea! Of course, they'll all have to choose the direct shipping option. Let us know if it ever happens.

jwpamp said:
Spirit Air has been one of the airlines that has had a LOT of people JUST carry on and not check luggage. No surprises there.Also, the last few times we have flown there was a full row available for each passenger (Chicago to Florida). Really, I am not kidding. There were probably 40 on the flight I took back from Florida in early March. They CAN'T be making ANY money that way!!!
I didn't see it so much about THAT particular airline and them making money, etc.....as much as it's a precursor to the OTHER airlines doing it. They are watching to see consumer reaction. If it's decent or no impact to business so much, then you'll see American, Continental, United, etc- all start doing their own similar fees.And I agree that having folks bring everything on board is a pain- but it's the airlines fault. What did they THINK people would do when they got charged for ANY checked bag?? Geesh.... Keep the carry-on and 1st bag free...set a SIZE limit if you have to. Then charge a reasonable fee for the 2nd and above bags. OR better yet...just have a reasonable ticket charge and NO baggage fees. ....they way they did it for years! It's amazing that the fees came about when gas was over $3-4 a gallon...but did the fees go away when the gas prices went back down? Uh..NO.

1. What is the reason for Pampered Chef starting to charge for carry-ons?

The decision to charge for carry-ons is a business strategy to generate additional revenue for the company. This will also help to offset the costs of providing additional services and amenities to our customers.

2. Will all airlines start charging for carry-ons?

Currently, not all airlines charge for carry-ons. However, with the constantly changing landscape of the airline industry, it is possible that more airlines may adopt this practice in the future.

3. How much will it cost to bring a carry-on on Pampered Chef flights?

The cost for a carry-on will vary depending on the flight and destination. We encourage customers to check our website or contact us directly for specific pricing information.

4. Are there any exceptions to the carry-on fees?

There are some exceptions to the carry-on fees, such as for elite members, credit card holders, and active military personnel. These individuals may be eligible for waived or reduced fees for carry-ons. More information on these exceptions can be found on our website.

5. How can I avoid paying for carry-ons on Pampered Chef flights?

There are a few ways to potentially avoid paying for carry-ons on our flights. One option is to only bring a personal item that meets our size restrictions. Another option is to become an elite member or credit card holder, which may offer waived or reduced fees for carry-ons. Additionally, booking a higher fare class or purchasing a package deal may also include a free carry-on allowance. We recommend checking our website for more details on these options.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Jean DeVries
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Jean DeVries
  • PampMomof3
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
dannyzmom
  • MomToEli