• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

"Amid 'Food Culture' Boom, Many Can't Cook"

In summary, the article discusses the growing trend of "food culture" in cookbooks and chef shows, but also highlights the lack of basic cooking skills among many adults. This is attributed to the decline in home-cooked meals and parents passing on cooking knowledge to their children due to busy work schedules. The article emphasizes the importance of these skills in promoting healthier eating habits and mentions the increasing popularity of cooking resources such as cookbooks and culinary courses.
sOhSherri
This article was on AT&T Homepage today. I thought I would share it.

Amid 'Food Culture' Boom, Many Can't Cook

Updated 3:14 PM ET July 10, 2005

By MICHAEL HILL

HYDE PARK, N.Y. (AP) - On a weekend when other kitchen classrooms at the Culinary Institute of America are packed with adults preparing paella and green mango salad, Chef Greg Zifchak is teaching Chicken Roasting 101.

Fifteen students in Zifchak's "Cook's Skill Development" class mimic his graceful stuffing, trussing and slicing with uneven results. Onions are chopped tentatively and tied-up drumsticks flop around. One student holds a green sprig up and asks "Is this thyme?"

The adult ed class illustrates a paradox: Even as "food culture" blossoms in countless cookbooks and chef shows, many adults simply don't know cooking basics. Experts blame it on a transmission breakdown. While parents traditionally shared cooking tips with their kids, the passage of kitchen wisdom has become rarer among time-pressed modern families.

"My mother was a working woman, a career woman," said 38-year-old Beth Nolcox, one of the students. "There wasn't that transfer of skills or recipes."

Call it the lost-in-the-kitchen generation _ as families began eating together less often, a sizable number of people grew up never learning to brown ground beef slowly or to add butter to minestrone to heighten flavor.

John Nihoff, a professor of gastronomy at the culinary institute who studies food culture, said that as society became more work-oriented in the '60s, not only was Mom more likely to work outside the home, but workdays for both parents got longer.

With Mom and Dad both out of the house more, families cooked less and relied more on store-bought food. The old tradition of Mom passing on cooking skills suffered, Nihoff said. He notes that Americans now spend $121 billion a year on "home meal replacements" _ partially- or fully-cooked dinners eaten at home that are bought in restaurants or supermarkets.

Many parents figure: Why roast a chicken when they're already rotating on the spit at the supermarket?

But even in families that prepared home-cooked dinners, younger adults say the after-school focus was more on tending to homework than to cooking.

"I knew how to boil water, but my mother never said, `This is what you have to do.' So I just kind of picked up everything myself," said Laura Boggs, a 22-year-old Albany resident. She took cooking lessons last summer from a "foodie" friend in return for teaching him to play guitar.

"I never touched a food processor before then," she said.

Chef Zifchak comes across adults with kitchen knowledge gaps all the time. He said none of the students in his recent skills class handled knives correctly. And he noticed students seemed overly impressed when he demonstrated how to saute fish.

"It was like, 'Oh my God, he makes it looks too easy,'" he said, "and all I did was heat up oil and put a piece of fish in the pan."

Zifchak accordingly kept his kitchen tips simple: Don't overstir while caramelizing onions, baste a lot for successful browning, leaning on the stove is "very dangerous."

What's being lost is more than just a quaint skill, but an important family tradition that encourages healthier eating, said Lisa Young, a nutritionist and author of "The Portion Teller." She said that instead of baking potatoes and broiling flounder, parents are bringing in french fries and deep-fried fish. A dietof that sort of food can lead to obesity and other health problems, she said.

"It's higher in fat, higher in salt, higher in calories, bigger portions ... and it's lower in fiber and lower in vitamins and minerals," Young said.

There's a danger the problem will become self perpetuating _ a generation without kitchen skills passes on little more than take-out-ordering skills to their children. But Nihoff sees signs of change.

The renewed interest in fresh, wholesome food feeds into the notion of family cooking. People still want to cook _ particularly when they settle down to raise families, he said.

And if Mom or Dad didn't teach them, they're finding how-to-cook information through other sources. Cookbooks touching on everything from eggs to escargot are a boom business. Food shows are on 24-7 and there's a rapidly growing number of culinary courses available _ like the daylong course Nolcox took with Chef Zifchak.

Midway through, Nolcox admitted that rushing around the kitchen and prepping chicken with partner Monique Heenan was a little different than watching chefs on TV. But despite the sweltering heat and stray hairs pasted to her forehead, she said she was happy:

"It's exciting to be a real chef!"

Thats a great story, I might actually make several copies of that and pass them around at kitchen shows! :p

You know another advantage to cooking your own food at home is its normally cheaper. The article mentioned that many families just buy premade food or partially done dinners in the frozen section at the store. It can get really expensive buying all those already done or almost done dinners. Plus making your own meals usually tastes better than frozen boxed dinners. Thanks for sharing that article!

1. What is the "Food Culture" boom?

The "Food Culture" boom refers to the recent trend of people becoming increasingly interested in food and cooking. This can include trying new recipes, exploring different cuisines, and attending cooking classes or events.

2. Why are more people unable to cook despite this boom?

There are a few reasons why many people still struggle with cooking despite the "Food Culture" boom. One is the convenience of pre-packaged and fast food options, which can make it easier to avoid cooking altogether. Another is the lack of basic cooking skills and knowledge, which may not have been taught or passed down from previous generations.

3. How can Pampered Chef products help with this issue?

Pampered Chef offers a variety of kitchen tools and gadgets that make cooking easier and more efficient. Our products are designed to help people of all skill levels, from beginners to experienced cooks, create delicious meals at home.

4. What resources does Pampered Chef offer for those looking to improve their cooking skills?

We offer a wide range of resources, including cooking classes, recipes, and tips and tricks on our website and social media channels. We also have a community of consultants who are passionate about cooking and can provide personalized support and advice.

5. How can I get started with Pampered Chef if I want to improve my cooking skills?

You can get started by browsing our products and recipes on our website or by attending a cooking class or workshop hosted by a consultant. You can also connect with a consultant directly to learn more about our products and how they can help you in the kitchen.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• lockhartkitchen
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
raebates
  • The_Kitchen_Guy
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
raebates
Replies