• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

America's Second Harvest: Facing High Costs, Feeding More People

In summary, Emergency Food Bank of Stockton is seeing an increase in the number of clients that they are serving. This has caused them to run out of food and have to curtail a brown bag program. The price of gasoline is causing a rise in the cost of everything else.
dannyzmom
Gold Member
Food banks face high costs but feeding more people
AP
Posted: 2008-05-26 17:19:07
STOCKTON, Calif. (AP) - Jackie Hoffman sifted through a laundry bin filled with aging bread, choosing a loaf of white.

Like nearly a third of the first 50 customers to arrive at the Emergency Food Bank of Stockton that morning, Hoffman was new to the pantry. But since she lost her sales job at a local newspaper in December, she has not found work in Stockton, which has the highest foreclosure rate in the country and a hurting job market.

"I'm down on my luck," Hoffman said, squeezing and sniffing the bread. "And food is going through the roof. I need help."

Hoffman, 55, is one of the growing number of "nontraditional" food pantry clients across the country. They include more formerly independent senior citizens, more people who own houses and more people who used to call themselves "middle-class" - those who are not used to fretting over the price of milk.

"We're getting calls all the time from people who want to know how to get here," said Kristine Gibson, community outreach manager at the Stockton food pantry. "And when I ask where they live, they give an address of a nice neighborhood, one where you or I would want to live."

April saw the biggest jump in food prices in 18 years, according to the Labor Department. At the same time, workers' average weekly earnings, adjusted for inflation, dropped for the seventh straight month.

To meet growing demand, America's Second Harvest-The Nation's Food Bank Network, pressed lawmakers for the past year to increase the annual level of funding for The Emergency Food Assistance Program, commonly know as TEFAP, from $140 million to $250 million annually.

A survey it conducted of 180 food banks in late April and early May found that 99 percent have seen an increase in the number of clients served within the last year. The increase is estimated at 15 percent to 20 percent, though many food banks reported increases as high as 40 percent.

The money was included in the Farm Bill recently approved by Congress, but won't be available until the next fiscal year, which starts in October.

"The way it's going, we're going to have a food disaster pretty soon," said Phyllis Legg, interim executive director of the Merced Food Bank, which serves 43 food pantries throughout foreclosure-ravaged Merced County.

Food banks across the country are in similar straits: While demand is up, supplies and donations are down. The food banks, like their customers, also are suffering from high gas prices and struggling with the impact of rising food prices on their operations. Some have had to cut back on how much food they give, or how often.

"If gas keeps going up, it's going to be catastrophic in every possible way," said Ross Fraser, a spokesman for America's Second Harvest.

Food banks sometimes have to move food 150 miles to a food pantry, he said.

"You're going to get to the point where they are going to have to decide whether it's cheaper to just give a food pantry a check," he said. "The price of gasoline is going to drive the price of everything else."

Prices at the pump are at record highs, averaging just below $4 a gallon, and are expected to climb further.

Stories of want and need are mounting. In informal surveys, America's Second Harvest has found a growing number of food banks in crisis mode.

In Albuquerque, N.M., the Roadrunner Food Bank reported that the pantries it serves are turning people away and running out of food.

In Baton Rouge, La., the public school system has found students hoarding their free and reduced-price lunches so they can bring them home and have something to eat at night.

In Lorain, Ohio, the Second Harvest Food Bank is finding that it is meeting only 25 percent to 30 percent of the need for food.

In Merced, the food bank is planning to curtail a brown bag program, which supplies groceries to senior citizens, from once a week to once every two weeks, Legg said.

Even in San Francisco, a city that has been relatively unscathed by the foreclosure crisis and economic downturn, food pantries are seeing hundreds of new clients.

"We've gone from serving about 450 to 600 clients a day since Christmas," said Sara Miles, director of The Food Pantry.

"This is one of the worst times that our food banks have experienced in recent years in terms of the level of need and our ability to meet the need," said Vicki Escarra, president and chief executive officer of America's Second Harvest.

The Emergency Food Bank of Stockton, which operates out of a cavernous warehouse at the fringe of town, now finds customers lining up several hours before it opens at 10 a.m.

That's because, clients say, the best food - the fresh meat and eggs - goes first.

"If I get here too late, I'll be left with Marshmallow Fluff for 14 days," said Sondra Pearson, a mother of seven. "Not," she added, "that I'm going to turn that down."

Copyright 2008 The Associated Press. The information contained in the AP news report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or otherwise distributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press. Active hyperlinks have been inserted by AOL.
05/26/08 17:18 EDT

This is really heartbreaking...there was an article in our Cleveland newspaper yesterday that 2200 students in the Cleveland Ohio school district have been homeless over the last 10 months. That is one in 25 students.

My husband was one of those food hoarding kids when he was growing up. It is sad. We are having to tighten our belts at our house, but thankfully it hasn't hit us this badly.

I hope we get a break soon. The cost of EVERYTHING is going up and up and up! It is ridiculous.

It's going to get a lot worse. And the only way it will change is when a couple thousand people flood the stairs of the capital with pitchforks and rifles.

Now, where did I put that pitchfork? :)

And to my fellow Glenn Beck Cheffers, if you've been listening- you will know what I'm talking about. He's had some amazing shows the past few nights (last week) and some pretty amazing guests on- that are outlining this crisis. He's the only one talking about it because if the government started to, we'd all panic-

Me, I'm gonna stock up on ammo and hide the key to my locking gas cap. DH says he feels (especially with his pick-up) that the gas theives will make an appearance soon.

:)

We're almost at $4.00 a gallon ($3.97 to be exact). It's crazy. We have to make sure we group all our trips. I'm glad we parked our suburban a year ago. We use one car. My husband takes me to work, so he has the car, and picks me up. We had data in our local paper about the amount of people who have already gone to the soup house. It's almost at the numbers they had by the end of last year. The new working poor are now going there, because they are in debt and finding the price of food going up. I had a conversation with the grocery clerk and told her what I was making for dinner (asian pork skillet) I told her I would give her the recipe. Even with 5 of us, we still have left overs. I like recipes that are cheaper and good for you too.

Yep...gas is about $4.25 per gallon here. Seems to rise everyday. And DH is a Beck fan so I hear it all from him...

1. What is America's Second Harvest?

America's Second Harvest is the largest hunger-relief organization in the United States, dedicated to addressing the issue of hunger and food insecurity in the country.

2. How does America's Second Harvest help those in need?

America's Second Harvest works with a network of food banks, food pantries, and meal programs to collect and distribute food to individuals and families facing hunger. They also advocate for policies and programs that address the root causes of hunger.

3. How widespread is the issue of hunger in the United States?

According to America's Second Harvest, 1 in 8 Americans struggle with hunger. This includes children, seniors, and working families who may not have enough food to eat on a regular basis.

4. How can I get involved with America's Second Harvest?

There are many ways to get involved with America's Second Harvest, such as volunteering at a local food bank, donating money or food, or advocating for hunger-relief policies. You can also participate in events or campaigns organized by the organization.

5. Is America's Second Harvest a non-profit organization?

Yes, America's Second Harvest is a non-profit organization that relies on donations and support from individuals, corporations, and foundations to carry out their mission of ending hunger in the United States.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• luvs2sellit
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
GourmetGirl
Replies
Views
MeesMom3
  • The_Kitchen_Guy
  • General Chat
Replies