• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Am I the Only One Who Hates the Ultimate Mandoline?

In summary, the customer's current mandoline is not slicing onions or tomatoes correctly, and the safety device will not even open to do any slicing. The new mandoline that they received is defective and the safety device refuses to even open to do any slicing.
RMDave
Gold Member
I am now on my second one. The first one was defective and the safety device refused to even open to do any slicing.

HO replaced it.

The new one crinkle sliced one zucchini. Now it refuses to slice anything.

I've looked closely as I slide the holder past the blade. It never opens. Sometimes the changeable cartridge actually pops out of its locked position (just a bit).

I am sure it's Operator Error, but I'll be damned if I can figure it out and get it to work.

HELP!!!!!!!!

Everyone one of these magical devices that I've sold has been returned by the customer. "It won't slice a normal sized onion." "It slices tomatoes too thinly." "It won't slice."

Sheesh!

If the blade it not activating as the hand guard passes over it, then the blade is not snapped in fully. Make sure to push the blade ALL the way. Even if it's a smidgen off it won't work.

Liquid Sky said:
If the blade it not activating as the hand guard passes over it, then the blade is not snapped in fully. Make sure to push the blade ALL the way. Even if it's a smidgen off it won't work.
So I've noticed. Yep. It clicks into position and then ... nothing. Occasionally it will pop out a smidge and then ... nothing. Sheesh!

Hmmm....are you positive the hand guard is on correctly? Do you hear any "snapping" as you slide the guard over the blade?

it's not my favorite tool - I hardly ever demo it.

Have you watched the Product Video on CC? It's under the Products & Recipes->Pampered Chef Products-> Demonstration Videos-> Product Videos. Then select Cutting Edge -> Ultimate Mandoline -> Using Mandoline.
https://www.pamperedchef.com/repsonly/product_information/product_demo_video.jspShe shows a few tips to make sure you have the Food slider on correctly, and ways to know. If you've done everything in there, then I don't know what to tell you, my friend.

I sell at least one at every show (full price) and never have had one returned. Maybe they just don't tell me about it but the slicer is a better booking item for me than the DCB. I've had my original one for 11yrs now (old style) and no problems with the one from my kit. The crinkle cut blade on mine is pretty much exposed without the springs so I dont know why that one won't work for you. Those who say it slices an onion too thin are they using the v shaped blade or the straight blade? Maybe those peeps just like their slices 1/4" thick? hehe

Hope it gets better for u.

I show mine at almost every show...now that I know how to use it. I was putting too much force on what I was slicing and pushing the holder down from the start. I love it for cheese and onions.

Dave, mine works fine, but I hate it, too. There are those of us who just prefer using knives (I also don't use the Food Chopper all that often, though I like it much better than the Mandolin).

I have no problem with mine except for the fact that I can never find a red onion small enough to fit into the food holder. And no, I'm not buying a 3 lb bag of onions for a two-person household.But it's always functioned just fine for me.

Keith, my dear, you do realize you can cut the onion in half or quarters to get a piece that fits. Of course, if you're going to go through that much trouble, you may as well continue, and just slice it all with the knife . . . which goes back to why I do not like the UM.

Mine works fine...I just don't like it. Have not taken it to a show in a long time. I don't like that fact that I have to cut everything to the correct size. If I am having to cut something, why not just cut it all with a knife?

Jennifer E said:
Mine works fine...I just don't like it. Have not taken it to a show in a long time. I don't like that fact that I have to cut everything to the correct size. If I am having to cut something, why not just cut it all with a knife?

I think the UM works more for those who cut large quantities of foods, vs just cutting 1 onion or one tomato, etc. Or it's for those who have to have PERFECT sized cuts.

I use mine for French Onion Soup, when I'm doing something like the Veggie Pizza, or have lots of condiments for burgers or something. I use it for cheese occasionally- but without the food guard.

But I'm also still a little scared of mine, though I'm getting better- with therapy! :p (kidding) I ended up in the ER because of it last year and still can't feel that part of my finger! :rolleyes:

pampchefsarah said:
Keith, my dear, you do realize you can cut the onion in half or quarters to get a piece that fits. Of course, if you're going to go through that much trouble, you may as well continue, and just slice it all with the knife . . . which goes back to why I do not like the UM.

:D That's so funny and true.

I think the food holder should be 1. a circle shape, so it can fit a tomato or onion more sensibly and 2. BIGGER! :cool:

The first time I was at a show and saw this being used I just rolled my eyes. If I have to get out the cutting board, the big knife, cut the thing in half, in half again, struggle to get into a groove and throw away the first few slices, unjam things that got stuck in the blade, etc...it's just a pain. I might as well just slice the thing by myself. For some uses, I think a Hold n Slice would be better.

Now, I do like it for potatoes or if I need to get many slices out of tomato and want them to be uniform. I'll use it if I have to shred a block of cheese (but definitely w/o the food holder!) I have watched the video and have practiced with it and like it a lot more now. I don't dread using it. But...if someone wants to make nice onion rings to top a burger or something, this just isn't the best tool. The food holder is just too small.

pampchefsarah said:

Yes, my dear, of course I realize that. However, what if I want rings? I'd then have to peel away layers of the onion to get it to fit, and that's just stupid.

I mainly use it for potatoes when I make a potato gratin. Or, cucumbers for cucumber salad.

babywings76 said:
:D That's so funny and true. I think the food holder should be 1. a circle shape, so it can fit a tomato or onion more sensibly and 2. BIGGER! :cool:The first time I was at a show and saw this being used I just rolled my eyes. If I have to get out the cutting board, the big knife, cut the thing in half, in half again, struggle to get into a groove and throw away the first few slices, unjam things that got stuck in the blade, etc...it's just a pain. I might as well just slice the thing by myself. For some uses, I think a Hold n Slice would be better.Now, I do like it for potatoes or if I need to get many slices out of tomato and want them to be uniform. I'll use it if I have to shred a block of cheese (but definitely w/o the food holder!) I have watched the video and have practiced with it and like it a lot more now. I don't dread using it. But...if someone wants to make nice onion rings to top a burger or something, this just isn't the best tool. The food holder is just too small.
You should email that recommendation to HO. Tell them a number of us were talking about the UM and.......ya never know!

Liquid Sky said:
Hmmm....are you positive the hand guard is on correctly? Do you hear any "snapping" as you slide the guard over the blade?

I do here it snapping in place.

RMDave said:
I do here it snapping in place.

I think she's talking about the clicking noise you would hear as the food slide moves over the blade.

I wonder - if the food slide isn't on correctly, would it maybe hit the blade just right and cause it to pop out like you mentioned? (thinking out loud....)

esavvymom said:
Have you watched the Product Video on CC? It's under the Products & Recipes->Pampered Chef Products-> Demonstration Videos-> Product Videos. Then select Cutting Edge -> Ultimate Mandoline -> Using Mandoline.
https://www.pamperedchef.com/repsonly/product_information/product_demo_video.jsp

She shows a few tips to make sure you have the Food slider on correctly, and ways to know. If you've done everything in there, then I don't know what to tell you, my friend.

Thanks, Bobbi .. I've watched again and will try the tool tomorrow when I have some time.

Hugs!

LOVE mine!! I was actually debating demoing this at every show to replace the DCB.

When you say you do cheese in it without the hand guard, do you mean you just run the cheese over the grating blade?

Mommy2amo said:
When you say you do cheese in it without the hand guard, do you mean you just run the cheese over the grating blade?

Yes, that's what she means.

I absoututly refuse to use my Mandoline...to me its like driving a stick shift car..some people have the cordination and some don't and I am the some don't..but I do still take it to shows, talk it up to the sky...and get others to demo it. and sell a few each month.

I really like mine, but I'm not too keen on using it at shows. I have done it, and I'm always impressed with myself when it works in front of people. I bring my own produce for it, though. I'm afraid of what I might get if I don't pick things out myself.

I LOVE it and use it all the time at home and at shows. I never have a problem with it at all and it doesn't take any more time - maybe less - than using a knife and all slices are uniform.

I do agree that the food holder should be round and larger but I sure hope that if they change it again, they find a way to just do the holder and make that available separately.

purpleluvs3 said:
I absoututly refuse to use my Mandoline...to me its like driving a stick shift car..some people have the cordination and some don't and I am the some don't..but I do still take it to shows, talk it up to the sky...and get others to demo it. and sell a few each month.

I love driving a stick shift, esp. in the NY snow storms, but danged if I can use the Mandoline. I was quite embarrassed at a show trying to shread cheese once and never take it any more. Amazingly people do buy it, however. I never talk about it. I do like the idea of a round container--makes so much sense!

wadesgirl said:
LOVE mine!! I was actually debating demoing this at every show to replace the DCB.
Me too! I have been using it at shows this summer, since it's a Host special.
BethCooks4U said:
I LOVE it and use it all the time at home and at shows. I never have a problem with it at all and it doesn't take any more time - maybe less - than using a knife and all slices are uniform.I do agree that the food holder should be round and larger but I sure hope that if they change it again, they find a way to just do the holder and make that available separately.
What Beth said...

I like mine too. Although I do agree that the holder should be round, not oval. But I think the oval shape is better for holding than a circle would be which is probably why they chose that shape. ;)My neighbor hated hers until I showed her that she could grate the carrots for her Lumpia on it. Now she freaking LOVES the thing! LOL When this girl makes Lumpia, she makes enough to feed an army! So it really does save her time to grate the carrots on the UM vs. trying to use another method. I also did some tomatoes and onions on it for her & she was super impressed. Not sure if she's tried those on her own yet or not, she didn't say.

Mommy2amo said:

Yes- just like you would an old box-grater. That's how I do it too. The grate-blade isn't as sharp as the others, and it doesn't "sneak up on you" fast like when you are slicing other items. You still have to be careful of course, but at least you don't have the cheese bogging down the slider and making a mess!

The other blades- you HAVE to use the slide, or they won't work (and they are dangerously sharp- trust me, I KNOW!).

I don't think Dave was saying he didn't like it because he just doesn't like using it. I think the problem SOUNDS like it's not working properly, so he hasn't had a CHANCE to really try it out and see if he likes it. I hope you are able to figure it out Dave, or at least find another consultant near you who maybe can take a look at it and see if it's something fixable or if you just got lucky twice and have a defective one.

esavvymom said:
I don't think Dave was saying he didn't like it because he just doesn't like using it. I think the problem SOUNDS like it's not working properly, so he hasn't had a CHANCE to really try it out and see if he likes it. I hope you are able to figure it out Dave, or at least find another consultant near you who maybe can take a look at it and see if it's something fixable or if you just got lucky twice and have a defective one.

You are correct, Bobbi. I just can't get it to work. Maybe I'm applying too much pressure at the beginning.

Closest consultant near me is probably 50 miles away. But thanks for the suggestion. LOL

When you come to the dessert, we'll work on it.

D

RMDave said:
You are correct, Bobbi. I just can't get it to work. Maybe I'm applying too much pressure at the beginning.

Closest consultant near me is probably 50 miles away. But thanks for the suggestion. LOL

When you come to the dessert, we'll work on it.

D

Really, you don't need to apply hardly any pressure at all. When I'm letting other people demo it at shows, I always tell them to guide, don't push. I let them know that it will feel like they aren't really doing anything, and that it can't be slicing, but when you look under the UM, it's all done!

The other key is DON'T stop! When you start guiding the blade up and down the base, keep it as one fluid motion.

FINALLY figured out that you have to put the food holder on right ... if you can lift the UM by it, then it's on right, if it falls off, then no.

I pretty much use it ONLY for potatoes, and only the V shaped blade seems to work.

Onions too big, tomatoes too soft and it mangles lemons!

Di_Can_Cook said:
FINALLY figured out that you have to put the food holder on right ... if you can lift the UM by it, then it's on right, if it falls off, then no.

I pretty much use it ONLY for potatoes, and only the V shaped blade seems to work.

Onions too big, tomatoes too soft and it mangles lemons!

Mine never mangles lemons with the v-shaped blade.

I wonder if my blade has become dull from dishwashing.

Di_Can_Cook said:
I wonder if my blade has become dull from dishwashing.

I dunno..maybe. I hardly use mine, but when I do it works well, so I guess that's why it's still sharp.

Dave, are you sure you have the Food Holder on the track?I also love my UM and have sold a bunch this summer. When it first came out, I bought a bunch of cheap produce and we practiced with it at our team meeting. Once you get a feel for it, it will work great! Like Becky said, you can't push! Just gentle pressure with your palm and then guide it up and down with your fingers.

OMG! Thanks, Dave. I thought I was the only one who didn't like it, or at least have problems using it. I have been hiding in the closet, hiding my feelings.
I had the older one and loved it. It did break but got years out of it. Can't stand the stupid blade guard for "safety". I only use it to grate cheese at my shows. When I am at home, I use my old "box grater" and use a knife and board to cut everything else.
I sold one to my neighbor, she was always borrowing her friends and finally bought her own. She called one day and left a REALLY nasty message:grumpy: on my voice mail because she couldn't get it to work. My gosh, you would have thought it was the end of the world. She said, "I am home trying to cut zucchini, and it won't work. Call me right away, O.K! I am standing here waiting"
LOL- to bad I wasn't home. :rolleyes:

I don't like it either, and mine works just fine. Shredding cheese is an unnecessary, slow mess! It was one of the first tools I used to make the 3 cheese garden pizza and it's more trouble than it's worth. I really don't have much occasion to need crinkle cut zucchini or perfect tomato slices.

Shredded cheese is so conveinent to buy in the bag right from the grocery store - so why bother? How many blocks of cheese would I need to shred myself to offset the $60 cost of the UM? TOO MANY LOL

:thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown:

I use mine all the time. My son uses it to grade cheese. I have been taking it to shows to demo. I have been making the Cran Raspberry Fizz (cutting limes). At home I cut baby reds, and spread out over the stone, add some garlic and butter and top with thinly sliced steak. I share these recipes at shows. I think if people know more of what they can use it for, they are more apt to purchase it. I'm going to be doing cooking demos at the local Sat. market, and I will definitely be taking this to demo vegetables.

I can't wait to try that steak and potatoes! Do you bake it or broil it? do you cook the potatoes partially first?
yum

I don't use broil, because I'm using the stone. The potatoes are thinly sliced, as is my steak, so I don't precook. Just throw in the oven at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes until done. They are delicious. My rectangle stone is so seasoned, because this is the one we use the most.

Thanks, Julie! I can't wait.....wonder if I have any steak in the freezer right now?

We're having the remainder of our boneless short ribs tonight. I'm broiling them on the baking sheet. I smothered them with Raspberry Habenero Sauce. Yumm!

I took off the tip of a finger on the old about 4 years ago and was very afraid to use the newer one. Safer yes, sharp, yes! However, I got over it and started using mine. I used enough that I really do like it. Yes, onions are a pain in the rear end and the tomatoes, I use the straight blade and use the thicker setting and I like those. So no I would say I like using mine. I have sold maybe 13 or 14 since I started really suing it last March at parties. Dave I wish I could tell you what it is though that makes mine work and yours not!

Be sure you take the food handler off (slide it to the end) and re-attach it so it is at the closest position. For whatever reason, it can slide on top (not engaged in the track) or in the slicing position (between two edges) where it works.It sounded to me from your initial post, like you didn't have the food handler in the right position on the mandoline. The ONLY thing you should be able to lift off the machine, is the oval piece with the logo on it. ALL THE REST is attached to the machine until you slide it off the bottom end.Second tip I share is to act like you are erasing a whiteboard (chalkboard gone techno) and keep pushing the food away from you until you hear a click, which is the slicing blade popping back into the machine.I like it because it is safer than the previous mandoline (which I still use 'cause it isn't worn out yet) but the newere one does take considerable getting-used-to.Finally, remember to begin with a FLAT edge on whatever you're slicing (onion - cut it in half first, place cut half down on mandoline). You'll get it. It has its idiosyncrasies, but is a good tool and I am comfortable using it and showing others how to, as well.

I just used mine last week to grate soap to make homemade laundry detergent. :D

Mine works just fine, but I hate it. I only use it when I am making potato gratin or need to slice things evenly. I rarely demo it and have considered not taking it to my shows. I'm glad to see that other people don't. The only problem is if I don't take it that means I'll have TWO UMs because I got one before I became a consultant and then I got one with my kit too. Maybe I'll give one away or sell it. I certainly don't need two!

I have used the UM one time and like everyone else, I'd rather just use a knife and save the hassle. Mine doesn't always cooperate with me either when it comes to changing blades - I think it has a mind of its own. :)

mvm630 said:
Mine works just fine, but I hate it. I only use it when I am making potato gratin or need to slice things evenly. I rarely demo it and have considered not taking it to my shows. I'm glad to see that other people don't. The only problem is if I don't take it that means I'll have TWO UMs because I got one before I became a consultant and then I got one with my kit too. Maybe I'll give one away or sell it. I certainly don't need two!

I too, only use it when I am making scalloped potatoes. I got one with my FPV when I hosted a show and then, got another one in my kit. I don't take it to shows because I really look clumsy when using it. I am with all the others that mentioned they find it hard to use. I got "rid" of my consultant kit one by offering it as an incentive to my hosts.....1st host to have a $1000 show would get the UM as a Thank You from me and all the other host benefits offered by PC.....incentive lasted until my second show:sing:

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• clshirk
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
jenapc
  • afokkema4u
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Staci
  • DebPC