• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Navigating Religious Differences: Am I Being Offensive with My Catalog Show?

and that's it! Setting goals is huge for me. When I host coach, I let my host know that the average show is $500. I then joke, and say "but I know you are way above average." I tell them to shoot for a $1000 show. By doing this, you are giving them a target to aim for. Let them know all the free stuff that they will get for a $1000 show, then incorporate that will outlining how our host program works for the different sales levels. They will be introduced to the $1000 show, and the other levels as backups. Then, I let them know HOW to have a $1000 show--have a guest list with 40+ names, follow up with
speedychef
An acquaintance of mine is having a catalog show for me. I do some work with her husband, and we are friendly. I know they are regular churchgoers and are very involved in their church, and she mentioned that she would be passing out catalogs to church friends. I sent her host packet and set a goal for her of $500. I know that is high, but I figured we may as well go for it, and with the holidays approaching, why not? I talked to her today and she said that $500 was NOT going to happen (as though I was crazy and what in the H-E-double-hockey-sticks was I thinking) And said that they don't celebrate Christmas in their church. She said it in a kind of snotty way, and I am terribly afraid that I offended her. I suppose it was presumptious of me to assume that everyone celebrates for the holidays, but I don't know if I did something wrong and if so, how to fix it! Help!

What was the $500 goal set for? If it's so she can receive all the products she wants then I would just let her know that. I myself haven't set goals for my hostess unless it's to help them achieve their free products. I have just started offering small incentives though.

Setting a goal for your hostess is great! I do it for my catalog and kitchen hostesses, so I don't think you were wrong to do that at all. Here's what I'd do to remedy the situation:
I would call her, and explain yourself. Let her know that you apologize, that you did not realize that she did not celebrate Christmas, and apologize for the assumption. Let her know that by no means did you mean to offend her. Also, tell her that any size show she does is just fine with you. Thank her for doing the show, and explain that you were just trying to maximize her free products. Just be friendly, humble, and honest. There's no better way to deal with a situation like this than to be up front, and communicate.

Setting a goal for your hostess is great! I do it for my catalog and kitchen hostesses, so I don't think you were wrong to do that at all.
How do you go about setting up a goal for your host? I never thought of doing this I have been using the show planner and having them set their goals. Then offering small gifts for things like a $500 show, $150 in outside orders before the show, $150 for outside orders after the show, 2 booking before the show and 2 bookings after the show. Have your sales increased from doing this?

Setting goals is huge for me. When I host coach, I let my host know that the average show is $500. I then joke, and say "but I know you are way above average." I tell them to shoot for a $1000 show. By doing this, you are giving them a target to aim for. Let them know all the free stuff that they will get for a $1000 show, then incorporate that will outlining how our host program works for the different sales levels. They will be introduced to the $1000 show, and the other levels as backups. Then, I let them know HOW to have a $1000 show--have a guest list with 40+ names, follow up with each guest 2-3 days before the show, and gather outside orders. I tell them that if they can get 15 outside orders, either before or after the show, that will give them about $400 in outside sales alone! Then, if they can get 15 people at her show, they will earn an additional $600 in sales! That's it! (my average outside order is between $25-$30, and my average show order is $40) When you show them HOW to get it, they now have a focus and a goal. If you just say, "aim for $1000", they will think it's unrealistic, and either be put off or frustrated when their show isn't that high.

I do the same thing for catalog shows. I have them aim for $500. If they reach $500, I will turn it into a kitchen show and give them an additional $15 in free products. But again, you just have to let them know that to get to that $500 mark, they will need 20 orders. Then I tell them to send an email to everyone in their address book about their show, and pass out catalogs to family and friends. When they think about how many people they have in their email address book, the goal of 20 seems a little more achievable than trying to talk and convince 20 friends and family members to order.

Without goals, it's like throwing a ball without a target. You can throw the ball, but you don't know how far, how fast, or where to aim. If my host wants lots of free products, I need to tell her how many people to invite, what to say, and how many orders she'll need. Give her something to throw at! Then, when it's all said and done, she can't walk away and say, "It's impossible to have a $1000 show", and be disappointed when her sales are low. You gave her the steps and the target.

As stated above setting goals is not a bad idea. However if she did not understand why the goal was being set, to help her receive more for free, then she may be a little frustrated.

In regards to how do you fix it...I would call her on the phone (I personally would not do it via email) and first apologize for assuming that her and her friends celebrate Christmas. (For 20 years I was a member of a religion that did not celebrate any holidays and I never got offended when others assumed that I celebrate because the vast majority of people do and how were others supposed to know that I don't...anyhow.) Perhaps a comment could be made that even though they do not celebrate holidays there are other occasions to give gifts (anniversaries, weddings, bridal showers, etc.)and Pampered Chef products make great gifts. I would then expain why the $500 goal was set...so she could receive $75/$90 in FREE product, 2 half priced items and a 25% discount on all other items she purchases then ask her what she thinks would be a reasonable goal. Reiterate that she is important to you as a Hostess and that you want what is best for her.

Hope that helps,
Rhonda

Thank you guys! General concensus from my friends and family is that I didn't really do anything wrong, that I didn't know. I just felt bad. I will call her on Monday to check in and try to smooth things over...I'll keep you updated!

Well, I talked to her today and asked how things were going and she said nobody seemed interested, but that she would have 2 or 3 orders for me...unless they're big ones, her show won't qualify! What do I do? I don't know how to tell her that she needs $150 worth of orders for her show to qualify...I didn't think it would be an issue...oh dear...

do you have another party you could put it on? If you do i would do that I have also had a host who didnt reach 150 in sales and i put her product under as a guest so her show did reach 150 in sales

You just thank her for her hard work:rolleyes:, that she's doing a great job and to keep plugging along. I think the best way to look at this one is: Its not going be your dream show, but it is going to be a few extra bucks and it can reach $150 and it can lead to other business. You never know. I may metion to her: "You are doing a greatjoba and you are well on your way! When I had my show, I felt funny about asking people to buy. But once I realized how many people love the products, it became easy. Would you like me to help you earn more free products? I have a couple of things in mind."
You could ask her for her friends email addresses and email them that they can place orders to support her show. If you don't have a website, include your phone number and offer to take orders for her. You could also offer to make phone calls to let her friends know she's doing a show. After all that, if it the show is just at $150, I may enter it as a kitchen show so she gets something. Of, if you tack it on to another order, wrap up a door prize and give it to her as a special thank you. People can surprise you.

1. Can I include religious-themed products in my catalog show?

Yes, you can include religious-themed products in your catalog show. However, it is important to be respectful and considerate of different beliefs and cultures when showcasing these products.

2. How can I avoid being offensive with my catalog show when it comes to religious differences?

To avoid being offensive, it is important to be mindful of the language and images you use in your catalog show. Make sure to avoid any stereotypes or assumptions about different religions and focus on the usefulness and quality of the products instead.

3. Can I mention specific religious holidays or events in my catalog show?

Yes, you can mention specific religious holidays or events in your catalog show. However, make sure to do so in a respectful and inclusive manner. For example, you can mention that a product may be useful for a religious holiday without assuming that all of your customers celebrate that holiday.

4. How can I handle a customer who is offended by religious-themed products in my catalog show?

If a customer expresses that they are offended by religious-themed products, it is important to apologize and listen to their concerns. Offer to remove those products from the show or provide alternative options. Remember to always prioritize respect and inclusivity.

5. Can I share my personal religious beliefs during my catalog show?

It is not recommended to share your personal religious beliefs during a catalog show as it may make some customers feel uncomfortable or excluded. Stick to showcasing the products and their benefits rather than personal beliefs or opinions.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• emiscookin
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
ShellBeach
  • lockhartkitchen
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
lockhartkitchen
  • Christ Follower