• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Can You Line Stoneware with Aluminum Foil?

In summary, Racheal Ray was making a 5+ layer lasagna in a loaf pan and wondered if she could line the stoneware with aluminum foil to make it easier to clean. CarolThe parchment paper would work better, and Sarah said not to use aluminum foil in the stoneware because it will damage it.
cwinter474
Gold Member
Was watching Racheal Ray last week and she was making like a 5+ layer lasagna in a loaf pan. So I'm thinking there are 4 of us and I have the mini loaf stone, I could so make this in the stone!!!! then I thought, can you line stoneware with aluminum foil????

Not sure about the stoneware w/ foil but you DO NOT want to use ant tomato based food in foil! The acid from the tomatoes will eat the foil. Same reason you do not want to do Lasagne in a metal pan. I have seen spagetti sauce eat thru a metal pan.

On that note (semi-hijack) you never want to store anything tomato-based in plastic containers (ziploc, rubbermaid, etc) as the acid from the tomatoes will scar the plastic and make it unsafe to use. If you have them and they are scarred, throw them away! The scarring removes the protective coating that makes them safe and if you continue to use them, the unsafe plastic will leach into your food.

I saw that episode, and I believe she was lining it with foil to make it easier to clean up the pan. I have made lasagne countless times in my rectangular baker, and it does not stick. The food lifts out perfectly, and there is no cheese and sauce to scrape off like when you make it in a glass pan. All I have to do is rinse it out. I talk about this in my demos because I make this in my rectangular baker all the time. I'd never use another type of baking dish. As for your idea, I think it would make cute individual lasagnes in the mini loaf pan, so try it out and let us know what happens!!

Occasionally if I am in a lazy mood and we are cooking something messy; my husband loves these saucey chicken wings then I line the stone with parchment paper. It works great and the clean up is to pick up the paper and throw out. No need to worry about health issues and you do not lose any benifits of stoneware.
Cathy

ok, I guess I live in a cave. Did not know about the acid from tomatoes and foil and unsafe plastic. I can think of about 4 differant bowls that need to be thrown out. GROSS

I was going to use the foil to lift out the lasagne. Would the parchment paper work?

Carol

The parchment paper would work, and, at least in my opinion, provide a better end result all around (I absolutely LOVE PC parchement paper!!).

Sarah

pampchefsarah said:
The parchment paper would work, and, at least in my opinion, provide a better end result all around (I absolutely LOVE PC parchement paper!!).

Sarah

I agree with Sarah! PC parchment paper works wonderfully in our stoneware!:)

I haven't used our parchment paper... I know I'm bad.

It really will be strong enough to lift out the lasagne??? OK that's whats for dinner tonight.... wait a minute that's another thread

Parchment Paper is so much stronger than foil! I would be scared to lift a lasagna out with foil!

I've been thinking about this thread and came back to my computer after I closed CS and walked away! First of all, our parchment paper is really strong, and if it can hold up to the high heat of our stones, then it can hold up to lifting a lasagna out! If it was me, I'd do 2 sheets the long way and it should work beautifully.
Back to your original question about aluminum foil in stones... if I remember correctly, I think the aluminum foil lined in the stoneware, will make the stone not function like it should. in other words it may burn more and may not perform all the features we brag about. I just wouldn't do it. Now using it at as a cover/lid is another thing because it's not blocking the stone from the food, it's just covering it.
Just my two cents.... I just figured if this thread was staying in my mind and I kept feeling a red flag to lining a stone with foil, then I should come share my thoughts.
Good luck!:thumbup::)

I agree with Cathy...I don't think I would do the foil at all. I *KNOW* that parchment paper does NOT affect how our stones cook, and therefore have no problem telling folks to do that if they want.

As for the lasagna thing...yeah, even if it was OK to use foil on our stones, that doesn't sound right. I am surprised that she showed it. Was she doing it just to freeze the lasagna and pull it out in one piece? I don't really get her reasoning for using it...if it was for quick clean up, I promise you will be amazed at how our stoneware cleans up after lasagna! No more soaking/cleaning for three days!

She used it to lift the lasagna out in one piece. Then she cut it into two pieces.

I just bought some parchment paper at Walmart, I will let you all know how dinner turns out....

Carol

Not all parchment paper is the same, I hope you bought a name brand! When you get a chance, get some PC parchment paper, 1 tube goes a long way and it is WONDERFUL! I never knew how great it was, until I ran out and thought I had another roll but didn't and bought some other stuff!:grumpy: I then bought reynolds and it was good but PC's parchment is one of a kind and is superior to all the rest!;)

Plus we can get it on a supply order for WAY LESS!! Yippee!

I used foil on one of my bakers this week to make a skillet cake and it turned out wonderful.

I had just sent in my July supply order, so it is already down for August. Yes I bought Reynolds. Although wally brand was less, I didn't want to chance it. In oven now, will let you know in awhile how turned out.

Carol

how did your lagazana turn out?

I had been told aluminum foil can radiate heat and crack the stone. This may be limited to foil that is exposed? I have always trained my guests to not use the foil for this reason.

I use foil in mine all the time. And the Walmart brand. I do not always have parchment paper on hand. And I love those Reynolds Singles, they fit perfectly in the small bar pan and the medium one too. I mainly use it for pizza rolls. If I am baking brownies or something I will line with parchment. If anything needs to be covered while baking I always use foil.

If you want to line a Stone for less mess - then you use Parchment Paper NOT aluminum foil (you CAN NOT LINE stoneware with foil)

If you want to COVER food and use a stone - then you CAN use aluminum foil.

As long as you don't LINE the stoneware with foil - it will be fine.

Thanks for reminding me to order more Parchment Paper - I hate foil!

monica.dixon said:
how did your lagazana turn out?

Worked GREAT!

It was so much fun to watch everyones faces when they got to the table and the lagazana was still standing (more or less, but much better than usual)!!!

I used parchment paper. Was really strong, did sorta stick some.

Thanks for asking

What happens if you line a stone with aluminum foil??? (Dont' worry, I haven't done it, just ran into this post...lol)

1. Is it safe to use aluminum foil on stoneware?

Yes, it is safe to use aluminum foil on stoneware. However, it is important to make sure that the foil is not touching the sides of the stoneware, as this can cause uneven heating and potentially damage the stoneware.

2. Can I use aluminum foil to cover my stoneware before baking?

Yes, you can use aluminum foil to cover your stoneware before baking. This can help prevent the food from sticking to the stoneware and also make cleanup easier.

3. How should I clean stoneware that has been covered in aluminum foil?

The best way to clean stoneware that has been covered in aluminum foil is to let it cool completely, then remove the foil and wash the stoneware with warm soapy water. Avoid using abrasive cleaners or scrubbers, as they can damage the stoneware. If there is any stubborn residue, you can try using a nylon scrub brush or a mixture of baking soda and water to gently scrub it off.

4. Can I use aluminum foil to line my stoneware before baking for easier cleanup?

Yes, you can use aluminum foil to line your stoneware before baking for easier cleanup. However, make sure that the foil is not touching the sides of the stoneware, as this can cause uneven heating and potentially damage the stoneware.

5. Can I use aluminum foil on stoneware in the microwave?

No, you should not use aluminum foil on stoneware in the microwave. The foil can cause sparking and potentially damage your microwave. It is best to use parchment paper or microwave-safe plastic wrap to cover stoneware in the microwave.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• ChefNic
  • Pampered Chef Stoneware
Replies
Views
DebbieJ
  • HeatherP19
  • Pampered Chef Support Group
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • sixtexascooks