• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Personal How do I handle hosting events for smokers if I am allergic to cigarette smoke?

In summary, I would suggest asking the potential host if they smoke or have any cats in the house. If they do, make sure to let them know you are highly allergic to cigarette smoke.
Gina
About a week ago I hosted a show that was for a friend of one of my past hosts. I did not know her at all or anything about her. I am allergic to cigarette smoke, and found out that this lady did so upon arriving at her house for the show! I need some advice on how to handle this in the future. How do I go about finding out if this person smokes, and what do I do if the potential host does? Thanks for any and all suggestions!:chef:

Personally, I would just ask up front. This is your health we are talking about and most people would understand, especially if you ask nicely.

I would imagine that most people would understand if, during your host coaching, you asked if they smoke. If so, you could explain that you're allergic and ask if it would be possible for there to be no smoking during the show. Be prepared, though, to get a snarky reply or two or even lose the occasional show. People are people, after all.

raebates said:
I would imagine that most people would understand if, during your host coaching, you asked if they smoke. If so, you could explain that you're allergic and ask if it would be possible for there to be no smoking during the show. Be prepared, though, to get a snarky reply or two or even lose the occasional show. People are people, after all.

I agree with Rae. Perhaps you could even say during the host coaching that you are allergic to cigarette smoke and see if that will be a problem at their house. Luckily there are fewer and fewer people who smoke now, especially in houses.

I have a feeling she would be amenable to that ... I know a lot of smokers who take to smoking outside rather than endanger their loved ones who have asthsma.

It's the same reason I won't do an outdoor show in the month of June.

Gina: Congrats on doing your first post---You'll love this site & all the knowledge/help you can gain for your biz.

Gina,

Here is the little blurb that is on the bottom of a sheet I give to the Host with their guest list. This is in "fine" print. For the most part, I've forget all about it because it's rare that I run into a situation (as someone stated above) where people are smoking in the home. However, I do think people read it because there have been times where they seem to be altering their behavior (going outside to smoke) when I’m at the house.

P.S. I am highly allergic to cigarette smoke. I am sorry for any inconvenience this may cause and appreciate your attention to this matter. If you or your guests must smoke while I am in your home, please let me know so I can make other arrangements.

My host didn't smoke at all during her show, but it was the permeation of the smoke that was already there that affected me. Thanks so much for the help!Gina

Gina said:
My host didn't smoke at all during her show, but it was the permeation of the smoke that was already there that affected me. Thanks so much for the help!

Gina

And it follows you home. Even my laptop smelled like smoke. :yuck:

chefjeanine said:
Gina,

Here is the little blurb that is on the bottom of a sheet I give to the Host with their guest list. This is in "fine" print. For the most part, I've forget all about it because it's rare that I run into a situation (as someone stated above) where people are smoking in the home. However, I do think people read it because there have been times where they seem to be altering their behavior (going outside to smoke) when I’m at the house.

P.S. I am highly allergic to cigarette smoke. I am sorry for any inconvenience this may cause and appreciate your attention to this matter. If you or your guests must smoke while I am in your home, please let me know so I can make other arrangements.

I think this is great. I am very allergic to cigarette smoke as well. Although, it's never been a problem at a show--so far.

While smoke bothers me (I have asthma), I am highly allergic to cats and can only stand in a house with a cat for around 10 minutes. I never thought this to be a problem until my last host had a cat. Luckily they had just moved into the house and the cat was afraid to come out of the bathroom still. Not sure how I will handle that next time!

1. What are the common symptoms of being allergic to cigarette smoke?

Common symptoms of being allergic to cigarette smoke include coughing, wheezing, shortness of breath, chest tightness, and itchy or watery eyes. Some people may also experience headaches, fatigue, and difficulty breathing.

2. Can secondhand smoke trigger an allergic reaction?

Yes, secondhand smoke can trigger an allergic reaction in people who are sensitive to cigarette smoke. Even being around someone who is smoking outdoors can cause symptoms for someone with a smoke allergy.

3. Is there a difference between being allergic to cigarette smoke and being sensitive to it?

Yes, there is a difference. Being allergic to cigarette smoke means that your immune system reacts to the substances in the smoke, causing symptoms. Being sensitive to it means that you experience symptoms but your immune system is not involved.

4. How can I prevent an allergic reaction to cigarette smoke?

The best way to prevent an allergic reaction to cigarette smoke is to avoid exposure to it. This may mean asking friends or family members not to smoke around you, avoiding public places where smoking is allowed, and using air purifiers in your home.

5. Can I develop a cigarette smoke allergy later in life?

It is possible to develop a cigarette smoke allergy later in life, although it is more common for allergies to develop in childhood. If you start experiencing symptoms when exposed to cigarette smoke, it is important to consult with a doctor to determine the cause and develop a treatment plan.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
chefann
  • gailz2
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
DebbieJ
  • evk1972
  • General Chat
Replies