• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Ugh! American Airlines & My Unfortunate Flight Experience

In summary, the two sisters attempted to book their airline tickets for a cruise in January, but because of the high prices of oil, they had to re-book at a higher price. The customer service representative told them that the airline company doesn't set the prices for its own products, so the sisters were unable to cancel their tickets.
Jean DeVries
Gold Member
AARGH! My sister (who just got out of the military, and is still looking for a job) and I decided that we were going to book our airline tickets for the cruise we're taking in January. We figured that since oil is like a trillion dollars a barrel, the prices can only go up, so we thought we should book now.

So, after several minutes of checking different sites, clearing our temporary internet files (did you know the longer you look, the higher the prices get? On purpose...the airlines do this to you), and looking at alternate locations, we settled on an American Airlines flight that got us where we wanted to go when we wanted to go there.

So, separately, on different computers, but talking on the phone so we could make sure we got the same flight and seats next to each other, we found the same flights, with the same rates and everything. So, at the same time, we clicked the "Purchase" button. At the same time.

My flight was the originally advertised price of $375, hers went up to $410.

And of course, I purchased, so we couldn't just start over.

So, of course, by now I'm hot. And because I work in Customer Service, I know what good customer service is and how to get it. I called the airline, hoping to be able to cancel my ticket (as I have done a few other times with competing airlines...they let you cancel if they haven't ticketed yet...which, with most airlines, takes more than 1/2 hour). I called no less than 10 minutes after booking the ticket.

The woman told me, "I'm sorry, ma'am, but that's not my problem." Um. Excuse me? You work for the company, it is most definitely your problem. And then she said to me, "I don't set the prices." True, but again, you represent the company that sets the prices. Then she told me that the company doesn't set the prices. I repeatedly asked her, "You mean the airline company doesn't set the prices for it's own product?" She said that yes they did, but the company didn't. Wha?

So, I can't cancel my flight, and my sister can't get a flight at the same price as mine. I understand how airline seats are priced (well, as well as anyone can understand that giant mystery), but what I don't understand is why their customer service representatives aren't empowered to make the customer happy. For crap sake, you can't tell me that a seat costs more three seconds later than another one. And at least their website could tell you that there's only one seat left at that price, because there were other flights that day for the same price that we could have booked instead.

This was my first, and last, flight on American Airlines. I shot them off an ugly email, so now I'm pretty sure they'll lose my luggage :) Better wear layers on my way down so I have extra clothes on the cruise :)

Using "airline" and "rant" in the same sentence is redundant.

That's when I would have hung up & called again to get a different rep. I live near a small airport with only 1 carrier that goes where I need to go, so I fly American. I've run into some real doosies for customer service reps, and some really sweet ones. So if I hit a sourpuss, I hang up & call back. Shouldn't have to, but it works in the situation.

Thanks for the tip. Usually, I do that. I've called a company back 5 times once because I knew I could find someone who would help. I'm the one my family gives all of their "customer service" problems to because they know I usually get results. It helps to know what people can get away with....

My sister also called, and although the lady was nicer, she also provided no help. At least she took ownership of the problem. She didn't fix it, but she took ownership.

What a racket.

Sadly enough, even at $410 it will probably be cheaper than driving at what will certainly be $4.00 - 4.50 a gallon gas prices by then....

What caused your unfortunate flight experience with American Airlines?

There were multiple factors that contributed to my unfortunate flight experience with American Airlines. Firstly, there were severe weather conditions that caused delays and cancellations. Additionally, there were technical issues with the plane that caused further delays and discomfort for passengers.

How did American Airlines handle the situation?

Unfortunately, American Airlines did not handle the situation well. They did not provide clear communication about the delays and cancellations, leading to confusion and frustration among passengers. They also did not offer any compensation or alternative solutions for affected passengers.

Did you receive any compensation or assistance from American Airlines?

No, I did not receive any compensation or assistance from American Airlines. Despite the inconveniences and discomfort I experienced, the airline did not offer any form of compensation or assistance to affected passengers.

What steps did you take to address the issue with American Airlines?

I reached out to American Airlines customer service and expressed my dissatisfaction with the flight experience. I also wrote a formal complaint letter and shared my experience on social media. However, I have not received a satisfactory response from the airline.

Do you have any recommendations for others who may encounter a similar experience with American Airlines?

If you encounter a similar experience with American Airlines, I recommend reaching out to customer service and filing a complaint. It is also important to document and save any proof of the flight experience, such as receipts and boarding passes. Additionally, you can share your experience on social media to bring attention to the issue.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
esavvymom
  • pampered_chef_swva
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
khergatt
Replies
Views
PampMomof3