• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Added to Newsletter List W/O Consent

In summary, Amanda's sister sends her an e-invitation to a party with another MK consultant, but she doesn't plan to go because she already has a consultant. Amanda doesn't feel comfortable with this, so she unsubscribed from the newsletter and wrote a blog post about it.
babywings76
Gold Member
I've had an experience that I thought I'd share. My sister sells Mary Kay, so she is my consultant. I have a SIL that lives on the other side of the country from me and now she is having a party w/ MK with another consultant. I don't plan to get anything, though, because to me, it doesn't make sense to buy things and pay for the shipping and such when I can get my things from my sister who lives local to me (plus she gives me a discount.) I don't even really buy that much MK stuff to begin with and have a bunch of stuff in my closet I don't use. Anyway, this consultant sent me an e-invitation with herself as the sender, not from my SIL, which threw me off at first because I had to read through the invite to figure out that it was for my SIL. I RSVP'd that I was sorry but I already have a consultant that I work with, etc. Now today I get a newsletter from her. :grumpy: It bugged me that she added me to her newsletter list without asking me or anything. She didn't take the time to listen to my reply either and go in and remove me. She probably added every single e-mail my SIL gave her to her list. Anyway, I just thought I'd share this in case others never thought of this from a guest's perspective. We should make sure that when we contact customers for the first time, that we make clear our connection. Remember that if we are sending e-invitations on behalf of our hosts that it is through our websites using their host code that we do it, and not through the PWS assistant, so that people are being invited from the person they know and not a stranger (us). And also...don't add people to your list that your host gives you. Make sure you have their consent before adding them to your newsletter lists.

Good point, Amanda. I never, ever add someone without their consent. To me that is the same as spam. Plus, I know a few MK reps, and they tell me it's against their rules to work with another person's customer. Bad form all the way around.

I'm trying to decide if unsubscribing was enough or if I need to say something to her. I wish I could say something to help her understand that what she is doing isn't a good business practice, but anyway I think of saying it sounds rude or harsh, so I'll probably just let it be. ;)

Send her a link to Jen Fong's recent blog posts about what constitutes spam :D

My former Hospitality director used to say she'd do that- she'd take all of the emails a host gave her for the evites (or that the host entered), and she'd add them to her contact/newsletter list. I never felt comfortable with that. And I'm sure realistically, it doesn't help her in the end. She probably has a lot of folks unsubscribe.

I have heard that people take the email addresses from the forwards they get and add them to their email list.... as in all the emails all the way down the forward... that's like 100+ emails... and I don't think that's right.

vanscootin said:
I have heard that people take the email addresses from the forwards they get and add them to their email list.... as in all the emails all the way down the forward... that's like 100+ emails... and I don't think that's right.

This is why HO asks everyone to BCC their emails - to protect the privacy of their customers. I have heard of unscrupulous direct sales consultants who are "exposed" to everyone else's email addresses from someone who forwarded an email without BCCing everyone, and grabbed a whole bunch of email addresses from friends of friends of friends that way.

PampChefJoy said:
This is why HO asks everyone to BCC their emails - to protect the privacy of their customers. I have heard of unscrupulous direct sales consultants who are "exposed" to everyone else's email addresses from someone who forwarded an email without BCCing everyone, and grabbed a whole bunch of email addresses from friends of friends of friends that way.

I try to BCC even in my personal correspondence, because I hate it when I receive one of those emails where it's been forwarded twenty gazillion times with everyone's email addresses there, just for the taking.

1. What does it mean to be "added to newsletter list without consent"?

Being added to a newsletter list without consent means that your personal information, such as your email address, was included in a company's newsletter mailing list without your explicit permission or knowledge.

2. How does a person get added to a newsletter list without consent?

This can happen in a variety of ways, such as signing up for a service or making a purchase and not reading the fine print that mentions being added to a newsletter list, or having your email address purchased or shared by a third party without your knowledge.

3. Is it legal to add someone to a newsletter list without their consent?

No, it is not legal to add someone to a newsletter list without their consent. In most countries, including the United States and Canada, there are laws in place that require companies to obtain explicit consent before sending marketing emails to individuals.

4. What should I do if I have been added to a newsletter list without my consent?

If you have been added to a newsletter list without your consent, the first step is to unsubscribe from the list. Most newsletters will have an "unsubscribe" link at the bottom of the email. If that does not work, you can contact the company directly and request to be removed from their list.

5. How can I protect myself from being added to newsletter lists without my consent?

To protect yourself from being added to newsletter lists without your consent, make sure to read the terms and conditions before signing up for any services or making purchases. You can also create a separate email address specifically for newsletters to avoid having your personal email address shared or sold to third parties.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• esavvymom
  • Pampered Chef Newsletters
Replies
Views
esavvymom
  • cookingwithdot
  • Pampered Chef Newsletters
Replies
Views
cookingwithdot
  • sarahsworld2000