1. Pampered Chef relies on relationships and communication. How are you managing your business in the wake of Coronavirus and social distancing? Discuss here
    Dismiss Notice

Pampered Chef: ?? about little breed dogs and knee problems

1. Lisa/ChefBear

Lisa/ChefBear Veteran Member Gold Member

I've got a ?? for you......does anyone know anything about little breed dogs having knee problems and having their knees "pop out of joint"???

AND having to have knee replacement surgery???

My niece has been told her baby, Oreo will need double knee replacement surgery and is scared to death and trying to make the right decision. She's got a few months, as Oreo has to be at least 18 months old before vet will do surgery and that's about 6 months away.

Help, ideas, suggestions??

Thanks,

Lisa

2. The_Kitchen_Guy

The_Kitchen_Guy Legend Member Silver Member

All I know is that I have two little dogs and my knees hurt like hell. I didn't know there was a correlation.

3. SpiritdancerIA

SpiritdancerIA Member Gold Member

Well, the surgery isn't exactly a knee replacement - it's more of a reworking of the structures already there to keep the kneecap from popping in and out (which leads to pain, wearing away of the cartilage of the joint, and early, often crippling, arthritis).

Depending on where your niece lives, getting a second opinion from a veterinary teaching hospital would be a good option. I'd strongly suggest that whoever does the surgery be someone with lots of experience. Vets with lots of experience aren't necessarily limited to teaching hospitals, or even being board-certified in surgery. Where I moved from 2 years ago, the vet who did most of this type of surgery was in general practice, but did LOTS of procedures, and has been doing them for 30+ years, AND is always studying and researching for better ways to fix problems in pets.

Um, yeah, I guess you could say I know a little bit about the subject. Comes from 16 years of practice before "retiring" to spend time with my littles.

I can point you towards some good online info if you'd like. I'd suggest we go to PM or email, since it's kinda off topic here :)

4. Belle4562

Belle4562 Member

It is patellar luxaton - I would and find a good orthopedic vet. I'm not sure what breed your dog is, but I love yorkietalk.com - there is always a ton of information there.

Sep 1, 2009
Have something to add?