• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

? About -Cheesy Ckn Chilaquiles From 29M-Vol2

In summary, the recipe calls for the queso fresco cheese, which Walmart did not have in stock, and the salsa verde, which could be substituted with another hispanic sauce.
esavvymom
Staff member
One of the ingredients is "queso fresco' or Farmer's Cheese can be substituted.Where on earth would I find them??? My stores aren't backwoods country-stores, they have alot of variety items, including those big exotic cheese coolers by the deli. But I can't find these, and I think the recipe looks delicious.Is it something I can leave out or substitute NORMAL ingredient for? (I hate cookbooks that use weird ingredients most people wouldn't touch or try, let alone FIND. Not too many things in the Vol 2 cookbook interest me. )Thanks :D

I almost think that Walmart here carries the Queso Fresco... it's a white cheese that comes in a round block... I've never had it (have some in my fridge but haven't tried it yet) so I don't know as far as subbing it... sorry!

The ONLY place I could find it was at a Walmart grocery store. I could NOT find it anywhere else.

Also, it calls for Salsa Verde. I also had a hard time finding that! My normal Supermarket is the largest around here - and it has 3 shelves of Salsa - but not one Salsa Verde. Ugh! Had to make a special trip for that too.

Good Luck! I can sympathize.

ask someone at the store. They'll help you find it or order it for you if they don't have it.

I found it at Wal-Mart but it's not with the regular cheese. Ours was over by the cream cheese. I think there is a substitution at the bottom of the recipe.

Farmer's Cheese is usually near the cottage cheese.

google it - there are substitutions. Personally, I think this is THE BEST cookbook that PC has developed and I'm selling them like crazy! I love it (well, not so much on the potato crusted tilapia recipe)

DebbieJ said:
ask someone at the store. They'll help you find it or order it for you if they don't have it.

Sounds like you have a nice store. Mine "says" they will order - but they never get the product in.

Just recently, our store was out of enchilada sauce (they only carry Old El Paso red) and regular taco shells for over a month (closer to 2 months). I finally asked about it.
Here is the response I got from a manager. "Oh, yeah, a lot of people have been asking about that. I don't know. We must be having a problem with that brand".
That's it - no offer of help, or that he'd check into it. Nada.

Check out any Mexican Grocery stores or a place that caters to Latino food. you will have a better chance there. Even if it just a little mom and pop place.

In the ad for Aldi's that came in Sunday's Paper, they have a whole selection of Mexican cheeses that they are featuring this month.

well, being in CA it makes it easy to get any ethnic ingredient really. We had hispanic, asian, african, indian and every other kind of supermarket to choose from.

Queso Fresco (a really good, salty cheese) can be found in the 'international' section of the refigerated section, near the cream cheese, at WalMart. Usually they'll be a few different kinds of Mexican cheese, tortillas, and other hispanic ingredients. If you're not shopping at Walmart, you could try the refrigerated area in the produce section. Some stores stock these kind of things there.

For salsa verde, look in the hispanic section of your grocery store (don't ask me why, but the hispanic section is usually not in the same place as the 'international' section).

I suggest not asking a general store manager for help, but the department manager (if you want to ask why a certain product isn't stocked), or a stock person (if you're trying to find a product). Just like any job, if you don't work in that particular area, you probably don't know the right answers.

Funny how Walmart of all places would have it. Thanks for the tips!

If you happen to have the any queso blanco left over.....crumble it up and mix with a pico de gallo.....very yummy on tortilla chips.

In regards to the salsa verde....you can substitute with the "Green Enchilada" sauces sold. Hatch is a good brand and usually inexpensive....

1. What ingredients do I need to make Cheesy Chicken Chilaquiles?

The ingredients for Cheesy Chicken Chilaquiles include chicken breast, corn tortillas, salsa, shredded cheese, black beans, and cilantro.

2. Can I use a different type of protein instead of chicken?

Yes, you can substitute the chicken with ground beef, shredded pork, or even tofu for a vegetarian option.

3. How long does it take to make Cheesy Chicken Chilaquiles?

The prep time for this recipe is about 15 minutes and the cook time is 25 minutes, totaling to about 40 minutes.

4. Can I make Cheesy Chicken Chilaquiles ahead of time?

Yes, you can assemble the dish ahead of time and keep it in the fridge until you are ready to bake it. Just make sure to cover it with foil to prevent it from drying out.

5. Can I use a different type of cheese for this recipe?

Absolutely! While the recipe calls for shredded cheese, you can use any type of cheese that melts well such as cheddar, Monterey Jack, or a Mexican blend.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• akrebecca
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • mountainmama74
  • Pampered Chef Sales
Replies
Views
mountainmama74
  • pamperedlinda