• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

aMust Read About Rice Cooker From a Customer of Mine

In summary, the customer's rice cooker spontaneously combusted after she cooked brown rice in it, and the company followed up by calling her and offering her a replacement.
kreaser
Gold Member
HI EVERYONE...I RECEIVED THIS FROM A CUSTOMER..I SENT IT ON TO PC...

Hi. My name is ______and I'm on your mailing list. I'm writing to you about a product I purchased at a party you hosted last year. I want you to know that this isn't a complaint but a letter of much concern. I bought the rice cooker and used it many times with great success. A week ago, I used it again this time placing brown rice in it (not the instant kind). I placed it in the microwave and came back in the kitchen about 7 minutes later to a room full of smoke and the horrible smell of plastic burning. I opened the microwave and much to my horror, the rice cooker lid was melting into the rice cooker. My smoke alarms then kept going off and I had to open my windows, in the middle of winter, to clear the smoke. I believe that a minute later, my microwave would have caught on fire. I immediately tossed my rice cooker into the trash, after dousing it with water. I wish I would have taken a picture of it but hindsight is 20/20. I was trying to get the smoke out of my house at that point.

After the fact, I dug out the pamphlet that came with it which says to only use rice with microwave directions. After my experience, this should be in bold, dark, underlined print with a huge "POSSIBLE FIRE HAZARD" if long-cooking stove rice is used. The long grain brown rice I used obviously soaked up all the water very quickly and started burning in less than 7 minutes. I'm glad I came to my kitchen when I did. The smell lingered in my house for almost a week, despite airing it out as best as possible during the middle of winter and going through many candles and air fresheners. I also had to buy a new microwave. There was burnt plastic stuck to bottom of it and a brown residue in the vents. I wasn't going to take any more chances.

I realize that this is user error and I'm not asking for anything to be replaced. I am asking though that you please forward this letter to the appropriate people at Pampered Chef. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would use long-cooking rice in the rice cooker. This is a great fire hazard and more obvious warning signs about using instant rice only should be placed in the directions and on the rice cooker itself. I would hate to see this happen to anyone else, especially with a worse outcome. Please email me back or call me directly if you have any questions. I greatly appreciate your attention to this matter.

Thank you,

Yes, definitely forward the letter to HO.

Although, I have to say, if they don't read the directions in the first place, they wouldn't see "Fire Hazard" either...

Yep - happened to me too - exact same thing.

Since long grain brown rice is about the only kind of rice I use, I never replaced the rice cooker. The stove works fine for me.

I wonder ... did she a) add extra water and b) cook it at 50 percent power like the directions say?Just wondering because I have a bag of brown rice that has yet to be cooked ...

Di,
I'm not sure how she cooked it...she realizes it was her fault, but she is just suggesting that the print be bigger and more upfront, or actually put on the cooker about not using long grain rice in there. I have to agree with her. We'll see what PC sends back to me

Wow, that's horrible. Glad she was able to catch it before it caught fire.

I have cooked brown rice with no problems in my rice cooker. But, I have heard of this type of happening before (happened to a customer of mine...she had used it many times before with no problem, then one night, completely melted!)

Definitely forward to TPC, and thanks for sharing!

wanted to update here..I got a call from PC this evening from the test kitchen and product area. They are going to call my customer this evening and offer her replacement, or even tell her she can file a complaint if she wants. They were very surprised that it would have happened at 7 minutes they told me..they had never heard of this, and also he said that they would definitely think about having something put right on the cooker about long grain rice. I was very impressed with this gentleman when he called. I asked him to please let me know if they were able to get in touch with her

That's really cool that they called you and followed up (and so QUICKLY).

Glad to hear the HO is handling this well.

There's another recent thread about rice cookers melting.The important thing to know about using the cooker is that it's ESSENTIAL to turn the power down to 50% after the first 5 minutes of cooking. And not to cook small amounts of rice because small amounts of food concentrate the hot spots.

Good point Ann. I am one of those guilty people, who use it at full power. Looks like I better change that asap. :)

I also have used this for brown rice and found that as long as I follow the directions it works okay. That being said, I prefer to use my electric rice cooker for rice (white or brown) since it takes about the same length of time and comes out better.

Same thing happened to me with the rice cooker. Honestly, I will not sell it to anyone from now on. The experience was just too frightening for me. My house stunk for a week too. Stove top is the way to go for rice cooking. I really believe that PC should pull that product all together before there is a serious fire which results in injury or worse.

This is an astounding thread. I have been in love with my Rice Cooker from the very beginning when I first saw the 10 minute chocolate cake. Last summer I was using mine in our RV, for a cake, and the cake turned out like a hockey puck. I blamed myself, and never warned anyone else. I eventually deodorized the cooker, and still use it. That was a one time occurrence. Nothing melted but the smell was horrible. I will definitely look at the Product Use Instructions and advise my customers. I sold several in Jan. and Feb. cause they are so great to use in RV's.

1. What is the best brand of rice cooker?

The best brand of rice cooker can vary depending on personal preference and budget. Some popular brands include Zojirushi, Instant Pot, and Aroma.

2. How do I clean my rice cooker?

To clean your rice cooker, first unplug it and wait for it to cool down. Then, remove the inner pot and wash it with warm soapy water. Avoid using abrasive materials to prevent scratching. Wipe down the exterior with a damp cloth and dry thoroughly before storing.

3. Can I cook other grains besides rice in a rice cooker?

Yes, many rice cookers have settings for cooking other grains such as quinoa, couscous, and oatmeal. Be sure to adjust the water and cooking time according to the type of grain you are cooking.

4. How much rice should I put in my rice cooker?

The general rule of thumb is to use 1 cup of rice to 2 cups of water. However, it is always best to consult the specific instructions for your rice cooker as some may vary.

5. Can I use my rice cooker to steam vegetables?

Yes, many rice cookers come with a steaming basket or have a setting for steaming. This is a convenient way to cook vegetables while your rice is cooking. Just be sure to add the vegetables in the last 5-10 minutes of the rice cooking cycle.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Senkimekia
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Senkimekia
  • PChefPEI
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
etteluap70PC
  • NewDirectorKaren