• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Urgent 31-Week Gestation Baby Being Born

fine. Birth was natural, not c-section...no official weight...a friend who is with her guesses about 3 lbs...Thinking of you & your friend. My 9 yr. old was a 30 weeker @ 1lb. 15 oz. Spent 3 weeks on the vent and months on O2. He had tons of issues @ birth, but 100% fine today.Birth was natural, not c-section...no official weight...a friend who is with her guesses about 3 lbs...Thinking of you & your friend. My 9 yr. old was a 30 weeker @ 1lb. 15 oz. Spent 3 weeks on the vent and months on O
nikked
Gold Member
A friend of mine's water broke two weeks ago (at 29 weeks) and she has been hospitalized since. She started labor last night, and the baby is in distress, showing decelerations and an infection has started suddenly. They are in the OR for delivery in case an emergency c-section is needed. The mom is Lindsey, the baby is Max. Her husband is deployed to Iraq and emergency leave was denied by the Iraq commander, despite letters from social workers, medical personnel, etc. She has 3 other children, all under age 6.

Thanks for praying...

:( My heart goes out to Lindsey, Max and her poor husband who is stuck overseas worrying! I'm guessing they are preparing to go ahead & take the baby now?

Praying for Lindsey and baby Max that everything goes smoothly. I actually have a cousin named Max who was born at 24 weeks, extremely premature at 1 lb 6 oz, who just turned 6 and is thriving. Medicine is quite the miracle for preemies nowadays.

Baby Max was born 30 minutes ago. In NICU, not stable yet, needing help with breathing. Still waiting to hear on weight.

Birth was natural, not c-section...

no official weight...a friend who is with her guesses about 3 lbs...

Thinking of you & your friend. My 9 yr. old was a 30 weeker @ 1lb. 15 oz. Spent 3 weeks on the vent and months on O2. He had tons of issues @ birth, but 100% fine today. God is good! Prayers your way.

I have a friend in the NICU right now in Okinawa with her little one. She now has two daughters and both were preemies in the hospital there in Okinawa. This one was born at 29/6 or 30/3 depending which ultrasound you want use as a guideline ~ so right there in the same zone as your friend's baby.Medicine has come a LONG way in the last few years and they are doing some amazing things with the little ones now. It's always two steps forward, and one step back. So just keep supporting her through all the good things and the setbacks. She'll be exhausted both emotionally and physically. Anything that the military wives, friends & family can do to help out will also help her through these days. Volunteering to take the older 2 out for some fun time, feeding the family, cleaning her house, doing her laundry ... it's all things that she won't have the energy to do right now. A small igloo with some drinks of her choice (tea, soda, etc.) and some snacks (fruits, candy, granola bars or what ever she likes) also helps out in any hospital waiting room. But the #1 thing that I've found that really helps out in a hospital waiting room is a bag/container with about $20 in quarters! Nothing is worse than wanting/needing something from a vending machine & you don't have change and/or it's out of change. I've handed a bag of money over a few times to friends who were sitting in a waiting room and their families still talk about how helpful it was and how their was an official "bag holder" hand off as one person left to go sleep/shower and another one took over. ;)

Thanks everyone...

Just got a pic and information...Baby Max weighs 4 lbs 3 oz and is 17 inches long...a good size! He's cute but TINY!

I'll update as developments happen...

It's no doubt a scary situation, but one that is totally "survivable"... 4lbs 3oz is great!!

Wow, 4lbs & 3 oz is pretty big for that gestation. I hope having extra weight on his side helps him to fight harder! :DIf she says it's okay to let you post some, I know I'd LOVE to see some photos!

My water broke at 28 weeks. I spent 7 weeks in the hospital. I think Baby Max will do great! I am guessing that they had already given her the meds to help lung development. It might be a little while before it's all "normal" but I'll bet he'll be fine. I'll still be praying though!

My daughter was born at 35 weeks. She is 8 and thriving. She had sleep apnea for the first 9 months or so, which she had a monitor for. As was said already, modern medicine is miraculous! I never would have imagined that anything could be done for my girl and I am happy to say that many of these events end up being a miracle with very little problems after the first few days.

By the way, after 32 weeks, they were breathing a sigh of relief for me. So, he's just a little too early. Better than at 29 weeks!

I'll ask tomorrow about posting pics...right now, she's just plain old pooped! Thanks for your continued prayers...

22 years ago I delivered twins at 30 weeks. 3.1 and 3.7 lbs. couple rough years, but They are taller than me now, still petite, but beautiful ladies. Miracles do happen.

pclinskie said:
22 years ago I delivered twins at 30 weeks. 3.1 and 3.7 lbs. couple rough years, but They are taller than me now, still petite, but beautiful ladies. Miracles do happen.

And you did it when medical science wasn't nearly as advanced! Big (((hugs))) to you!!!

Prayers said.

Prayers for Lindsey and lil' Max!

I know how hard it can be to have a NICU baby with other kids.

Prayers being said for Lindsay and Max. I can sure empathize with this situation. I had twins born at 29 weeks weighing 2.6 and 2.3 lbs. apiece. They are now thriving, wonderful miracles at 8 years old. Prayers can make all the difference. :)

GREAT NEWS! Lindsey's husband has been released to come home...not sure if it's permanent or a leave situation (he wasn't scheduled to be home until mid to end of August). Don't have details on when he'll back exactly, but it's in the works at least!

Baby Max had a lumbar puncture done yesterday to a brewing infection (which he might have caught from Lindsey...she was starting an infection when he was born...). Don't have any results as of yet, but definitely a prayer point!

Thanks so much for your continued prayers!

Continued good thoughts going their way! 4lb 3oz is a good size!

Glad Daddy's paperwork is in progress to get him home. Those Red Cross Emergency Messages sure can get the ball rolling! :DHopefully Max will be doing better soon! :(

I can't imagine the stress your friend must be going through. My niece was born at 34 weeks and she is n ow a bouncing baby girl of a year and a half. My sister only had one other child at the time, but it was very difficult for him because it spent most of his time with his great grand parents and had to watch his mother be taken away by ambulance. All is well now and he is a very good big brother. All will work out. I send prayers and thoughts her way. Thank God for sending Daddy home as well.

Sounds as if he is in a good place and getting what he needs. (Especially with daddy coming home soon!!)

I had b/g twins born at 27 weeks that just turned 5. They were 2.3 and 1.12 pounds and now weigh more than most their age! (And are as tall if not taller!) March of Dimes has discovered some amazing things to help preemies. Thoughts and prayers still coming their way.

A short, but good report from mom...

Lindsey said:
Max had a fairly good day. He's under the billi lights for jaundice & will be for at least 2 days. Feeds were increased. Tests tomorrow for a dimple on his spine to check for tethered cord. Signs of infection gone!

Also, sounds like hubby is home (although he may still be in the process...not sure!)...

thank you for continued prayers...

Still praying. Good news, it sounds like. Yay!

Still in my prayers and please keep us updated on this little guy's progress!

1. What is the average weight of a 31-week gestation baby at birth?

On average, a 31-week gestation baby weighs around 3.3 pounds or 1500 grams. However, the weight can vary depending on various factors such as the mother's health and nutrition during pregnancy.

2. What complications can arise from a 31-week gestation birth?

Some common complications that can arise from a 31-week gestation birth include respiratory distress syndrome, jaundice, and feeding difficulties. The baby may also have a weak immune system and be at a higher risk for infections.

3. How long will a 31-week gestation baby need to stay in the neonatal intensive care unit (NICU)?

The length of stay in the NICU for a 31-week gestation baby can vary depending on their health and development. On average, they may need to stay in the NICU for 4-6 weeks, but it can be longer if there are any complications.

4. Can a 31-week gestation baby survive outside of the womb?

Yes, with advances in medical technology and specialized care in the NICU, the survival rate for a 31-week gestation baby is high. However, they may still face some health challenges and may need ongoing medical care and monitoring.

5. What can parents do to support the development of a 31-week gestation baby?

Parents can support their baby's development by following the medical team's instructions, providing skin-to-skin contact, and practicing kangaroo care. They can also ensure their baby receives proper nutrition and gets enough rest to aid in their growth and development.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • finley1991
  • Pampered Chef Recruiting
Replies
Views
sharalam
Back