• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

30 Minute Chicken - Ideas to Promote the Show

In summary, if you are looking for an easy and convenient way to cook chicken that looks and tastes just like a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store, the 30 minute chicken at a show is the way to go!
stefani2
I have NEVER done the 30 minute chicken at a show because of the reaction my customers give me:

"I just imagine this live chicken walking out of the microwave when I open the door"

"It would be SO pale - EWWWW"

"I can't EVEN imagine!"

I think I would just have to do it for people to belive it - but I have had even a hard time to convince Hosts to give it a try. What are some benefits, descriptive words, etc. that I could use to tell people how FABULOUS this idea is?!

Now, maybe it is just the area of Canada that I live in - but I haven't found any of my customers to cook meat (chicken, ground meat, or anything!) in the microwave - so I think that is part of the reasons why it is hard to convince them. Lots have said they are 'oldfashioned and meat is to be cooked on a BarBQ or in an oven'............

First - it's not pale at all - use the seasoning recipe that is part of the show, and it comes out beautifully!Maybe offer it for free to the first person who books a 30 Minute Chicken Show?Also - here is the thread where I explain how I do my show - my story about the first time I tried the chicken is part of my show......because I felt much the same way as your guests when you talk about it!
I tell them this is one show you just have to see to believe!http://www.chefsuccess.com/f6/i-booked-my-first-30min-chicken-show-now-what-28417/

Becky - you are SO sweet :love: I appreciate you sharing this - it is something i want to try - but I have to be super excited about it first to get others willing to try.....

Jenna - have you tried the chicken yet? You should try it - you'll be amazed! I know what you mean about having to be super excited! That is why I tell my story about it at my shows - because my attitude about it totally changed once I made it for my family!Others have had the same kind of success doing the 10 Minute Pork Tenderloin.
I have a host who does the pork at least once a week at her house!

I had a show Saturday, and mentioned the 30 minute chicken during my demo (we made the Jerk Chicken Nachos and Triple Citrus Mojitos at the show). It was the perfect demographic for that mention - moms, both single and married, looking for easy dinner ideas. Several sets of ears perked up, and I did sell a DCB, just by mentioning the chicken. My host also wants one. None of them saw it done, I just mentioned that, "You can do a chicken in 30 minutes that looks and tastes just like a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store, but a lot cheaper and more convenient."It really is a phenomenal dinner. People are shocked that it turns out. I highly recommend trying it at your house so you can talk about it confidently.

I did the 30 minute chicken at a small show last week and sold three DCBs (plus the host)...two are outside orders from people who heard how great the chicken was. Whatt Becky and Ann say is so true, the guests have to see it to believe it!

You can use our SW seasoning if you don't want to use the chicken seasoning the recipe calls for. I use about 1/4 of the bottle and rub it on the chicken well and wal-la!

legacypc46 said:
I did the 30 minute chicken at a small show last week and sold three DCBs (plus the host)...two are outside orders from people who heard how great the chicken was.

I get that alot too! I had a host this month who took it upon herself to do a chicken (that wasn't our demo) and pulled it out of the micro as people started arriving! She had everyone gathered in the kitchen sampling the chicken before the show even started! Sold 2 DCB's!:thumbup:

chefmeg said:
You can use our SW seasoning if you don't want to use the chicken seasoning the recipe calles for. I use about 1/4 of the bottle and rub it on the chicken well and wal-la!
I use the flour still - it helps give it a "crust", but then I often sub the Smoky BBQ Rub for part or all of the paprika.

that sounds yummy, too! I don't know why the Sw seasoning works, but it gives it that crust, too. I think it may have to do with how much of it I use.

I was on a call last night and someone mentioned that they got an idea from Davina Messics, and not they do it as well. They do the 30 minute chicken at every show as the host gift. They have sold 65-100 DCB in a two month time that way!

When I prepare the chicken, I spritz it with oil, and then add paprika and one of our pantry seasonings, such as Italian seasoning, Southwestern, or the smoky BBQ rub. (when I do it at home, I also have used McCormick's French Herb roast rub.)

what do you mean "host gift"? Are they just bringing the ingredients themselves as a way to help their hosts?

Meg - I heard about this too - I think she brings the chicken and does it in the micro as a gift for the host. The host can share it with her guests, or keep it for a family dinner, whatever she wants. It's done but not as part of the demo....

chefmeg said:
what do you mean "host gift"? Are they just bringing the ingredients themselves as a way to help their hosts?

Yes, and to add on to what Becky responded with above, it is in addition to or instead of giving them a Season's Best. For me, the ingredients would just be the chicken, oil, paprika, and pantry seasoning. The chicken is put in the micro at the beginning of the show, and when the micro is done, that reminds her that she has 10 more minutes to finish up the rest of her demo (to keep her show short).

Bren706 said:
Yes, and to add on to what Becky responded with above, it is in addition to or instead of giving them a Season's Best. For me, the ingredients would just be the chicken, oil, paprika, and pantry seasoning. The chicken is put in the micro at the beginning of the show, and when the micro is done, that reminds her that she has 10 more minutes to finish up the rest of her demo (to keep her show short).

You know, I am liking this idea. It's a bit pricey, but I can get chicken for 70 cents a lb at Costco, so for a 4lb chicken it's around $3.50 - and I KNOW it sells DCB's and books shows!

I like this idea too ... but for my show this Sunday, I would have to have the chicken prepared in advance and put it in the microwave when I arrive ... it would be resting as the guests came. The recipe I'm demonstrating is a microwave cake.

I just pitched it to my host (for whom I am doing the shopping to save her time) and pointed out that ironically, it would cost about the same as it would for me to give her the Southwest dip and chips. I also said I could put the chicken in the microwave on my way out the door, as a gift to her and her family. (It would be cruel to let the guests smell it cooking and not give them a bite!)

stefani2 said:
I have NEVER done the 30 minute chicken at a show because of the reaction my customers give me:

"I just imagine this live chicken walking out of the microwave when I open the door"

"It would be SO pale - EWWWW"

"I can't EVEN imagine!"

I think I would just have to do it for people to belive it - but I have had even a hard time to convince Hosts to give it a try. What are some benefits, descriptive words, etc. that I could use to tell people how FABULOUS this idea is?!

Now, maybe it is just the area of Canada that I live in - but I haven't found any of my customers to cook meat (chicken, ground meat, or anything!) in the microwave - so I think that is part of the reasons why it is hard to convince them. Lots have said they are 'oldfashioned and meat is to be cooked on a BarBQ or in an oven'............

I don't even tell the hosts. I bring the chicken myself (only $5 or $6) and do the chicken in addition to the main recipe. The host has always been pleasantly surprised that they get this little "bonus". The money made from the numerous purchases of the DCB pays me back the $5 or $6 I spent on the chicken, and then some!

So I guess I need to just bite the bullet and buy myself a DCB, huh?? I love the idea of bringing a chicken to shows as a gift for the host, and I need to get out of the "dessert show rut" and start getting people to do meal shows.

My question is how do you present the chicken to the host? What script do you use so that she doesn't feel obligated to share if she doesn't want to?

*That sounds funny when you read it "presenting the chicken to the host"! I love the idea!

KellARooni said:
My question is how do you present the chicken to the host? What script do you use so that she doesn't feel obligated to share if she doesn't want to?

*That sounds funny when you read it "presenting the chicken to the host"! I love the idea!

I guess with what everyone has posted, I would go with "as a special thank you for inviting me into her/his home, I have prepared a chicken in the DCB for my host to have for dinner one night with her family....after all, The Pampered Chef lives by our mission of bringing families together!"

jbachen said:
So I guess I need to just bite the bullet and buy myself a DCB, huh?? I love the idea of bringing a chicken to shows as a gift for the host, and I need to get out of the "dessert show rut" and start getting people to do meal shows.

yep...it will pay for itself in NO time!

jbachen said:

Well, if you really MUST stay with a dessert, there are some great DCB desserts!

Caramel Apple Bread Pudding
Mom's Apple Crisp
Any Deep dish cobbler or crisp!

But again ... if I'm going to present it to the host to have with her family ... should it be cooked in advance, or cooked on my way out the door?I think it's really cruel to have guests smell it cooking and not get to take a bite!

Di_Can_Cook said:
But again ... if I'm going to present it to the host to have with her family ... should it be cooked in advance, or cooked on my way out the door?

I think it's really cruel to have guests smell it cooking and not get to take a bite!

I would be cruel! Seriously - it would totally negate the reason for doing it if you didn't do it before hand - it's when people actually see the chicken done that they realize how great the chicken is. It could really help bookings too - then they might want to book so you'll bring them a chicken too!

And also, if you cooked it on your way out the door, you'd have to come back to pick up your DCB....

Good point ... I will need it if I do my power cooking show on June 13 (and to take out of town with me on the 15th!)

leftymac said:
I don't even tell the hosts. I bring the chicken myself (only $5 or $6) and do the chicken in addition to the main recipe. The host has always been pleasantly surprised that they get this little "bonus". The money made from the numerous purchases of the DCB pays me back the $5 or $6 I spent on the chicken, and then some!

What happens if the DCB doesn't fit in their microwave or do you check in advance?

you have NO idea what a good question this is! I did a show a few weeks ago and her microwave was a tiny one...she ended up having her sister take it to her house two doors downto cook it in her micro...wound up booking a show with the sister!
ASK!!!! if they have an apartment size or regular size microwave!

You know, I am not really sure if they actually intended the chicken to be only for the host, or if it was just the thought of paying for the chicken and providing it as an extra dish for the guests as the gift.

HA HA HA!I happened to pop by host's house to drop off some stuff ... by dumb luck she was just pulling in ... and I asked if I could peek at her kitchen ... I opened the microwave to make sure the fluted stone would fit. It's bigger than mine so the DCB should fit perfectly.

A thought...SO I have been pondering the 30 minute chicken all day and here is my idea...any suggestions are more than welcome...

For my first show I was planning on doing Jerk Nachos, SO I am thinking I will purchase two chickens. I will use the meat from that chicken to prepare the nachos during the show. I will take the other chicken to the show and do the whole "host gift" suggestion with that one...then they are getting to see the 30 min chicken and get to taste the chicken with the nachos...other than cost does anyone see a downside to this?

You got me... I am the girl from the call! :D

Here's the gig.
I will ask during host coaching if they have a microwave and the approximate size. If they have booked from a recent show, they know that I will be doing this, so they will tell me if the DCB should fit.
I buy and bring the chicken in the DCB and I bring a prep bowl that has a bit of paprika, a bit of the rosemary seasoning and a bit of kosher salt.
When I arrive I check to see if the DCB fits, if it does fabulous, if it doesn't the gig is up and I put the whole thing in the fridge and take it back home with me. (It's the thought that counts, right?)

So after the guests have arrived and before I do anything else I tell them that I am so happy they came and that I have something AMAZING to show them and a special present for my host...
"A raw chicken! Ta-Daa!" and I open the DCB and show them :)
Then I do my spiel about the baker and what it can do, yada yada. While I am talking I just sprinkle the seasoning on and spritz with olive oil (cross sell, of course!) and COVER IT and put it in the microwave for 22 minutes.

I then proceed to do my regularly scheduled show.
When the Microwave goes off that is my mental que to hurry up and finish so I know I have about 10 minutes left.
The I go get it and with much fanfare uncover for them to see how yummy-licious it is!
I then remind them features/ benefits/ uses and direct them to my website for recipes.

At my first show I did this I sold 4.

So..... 4 x $65 = $260 um, that is the present for the host :)
More guest sales and a bit more food.

This is way longer than I ever type, but I wanted you to get a clear picture, feel free to ask questions if you need clarification.
Thanks,
Cheryl

Hey, Cheryl - change your signature, girl! :D

chefann said:
Hey, Cheryl - change your signature, girl! :D

I am still waiting on the call, but I will because you are such a smart girl.

I do what I'm told :rolleyes: :D

Thanks for sharing that Cheryl. I think you were the one that came to the phone call really early, weren't you. I was like 2nd or 3rd there. It was a great conversation to start the call with!

That was me :) I broke more than one speed limit getting home :)
I LOVE Nancy Jo and I do my best to never miss her when she is available to us.
I really didn't know others were on the call me and that girl Trish were just chatting about her show average. It was a nice lead in for Nancy. Thanks:blushing:

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• joemyers1961
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
tys1031
  • smealey
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
smealey
  • Roadtripray