1. Join Chef Success Today!
    Get support for your PC business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of support threads! Totally Free!
    Dismiss Notice

Pampered Chef: 2017 movie recommendations

1. Admin Greg

Admin Greg Senior Member Staff Member

This past weekend my wife and I saw Arrival and Hidden Figures. Both extremely good movies? What have you seen recently and what do you recommend?

Feb 2, 2017
    Linda Weikle and chefjeanine like this.
  2. I loved Hidden Figures. I live near White Sulphur Springs, WV where Katharine Johnson was from. Everyone in the theater was involved in the emotions of the story.

Feb 2, 2017
    chefjeanine and Admin Greg like this.
  3. mspibb

mspibb Member Gold Member

I'm currently reading "Hidden Figures" and the book is so much more than the movie. It Starts before the movie with to the race to develop planes for the war effort and profiles so many more people. I recommend reading it!

Feb 4, 2017
    Linda Weikle and Admin Greg like this.
  4. raebates

raebates Legend Member Staff Member

The book is almost always better than the movie.

Feb 5, 2017
    mspibb likes this.
  5. Saw Fences last weekend. It's 2.5 hours and slow. It stirs up your emotions and in the end, it was an interesting story.

Feb 8, 2017
    Admin Greg likes this.
  6. The_Kitchen_Guy

The_Kitchen_Guy Legend Member Silver Member

A Man Called Ove

It's tough to decide if it's a drama or a dark comedy, it's actually a little of both. A Man Called Ove is a delightful while bittersweet story. It helps if you read the book first (it's a delightful novel, too) as you'll have an understanding of the title character before the movie starts. Knowing the subplots that are necessarily left out of the film (for time constraints) also helps. If you don't read the book before you see the film, you'll want to after you see it.

I agree with Admin Greg that Arrival is an interesting character study. If you have trouble figuring it out at first, you're not alone. The light bulb will suddenly go on at the right time. :)

Admin Greg likes this.
  7. Admin Greg

Admin Greg Senior Member Staff Member

Saw John Wick 2 a few weeks ago. Good shoot em up flick to pass a rainy day!

Mar 26, 2017
  8. The_Kitchen_Guy

The_Kitchen_Guy Legend Member Silver Member

More recent viewings, and highly recommended by me (FWIW, anyway.)

"Still Life" - A quixotic case worker searches for family of people who have died alone. What starts out slowly and appears to be just an average film suddenly blossoms into a touching and deeply emotional story line about life, death and the after life. The main character, who is surrounded by death, has a liberating experience that allows him to live. An excellent film!

"Florence Foster Jenkins" - a touching story, fascinating character study and excellent portrayal by Meryl Streep.

"The Girl on the Train" - a psychological thriller along the lines of Gaslight. NOT a family film!

Finally saw "Sully" - based on the famous incident. A good story if you look past the inaccuracies added for dramatic effect.

"A Hologram for the King" - probably one of Tom Hanks' lesser known films. Much better than it sounds. :)

...and if you like completely implausible shoot 'em ups, "Olympia Has Fallen" and its sequel, "London Has Fallen."

Incidentally, Svengoolie ran the original 1931 version of Bram Stoker's "Dracula" last night, the version with the enhanced soundtrack. I haven't seen the film in years and forgot how delightfully creepy it is. Bela Lugosi was unequalled in the roll. The camera work and lighting were superb, especially when you consider the time (start of the Great Depression) when the film was made.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
Have something to add?