• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Making a Difference: Taking the U.S. Census Bureau Test

In summary, the U.S. Census Bureau is looking for people to help with the project. You can get paid $14 an hour and you don't have to work nights or weekends.
lovescooking
Gold Member
Today I took the U.S. Census Bureaus test to help with the Census. I actually thought this would be a good way to promote my business in my community and make some $$ at the same time.
Not sure if anyone else is looking for a way to make a difference but the U.S. Census Bureau sure could use all the help they can get with this project.
I plan on covering all my expenses for NC by doing this. I just wanted to share.

I was thinking about doing this as well for some extra $$. Is there a place online I could read more about it?

Good idea!
I just looked online and found this
http://2010.census.gov/2010censusjobs/

hmm... might be just what we need.

Thank you for posting this, they are paying $14 an hour in my area...hit the pavement but great idea to wear some PC apparel :)

ughubug said:
Thank you for posting this, they are paying $14 an hour in my area...hit the pavement but great idea to wear some PC apparel :)

Oh, you can bet that I will have on my logo wear! I don't leave home without it!:D
Maybe I will carry the Dots Tote bag when I have to go for the house visits.

Sounds interesting.... I could always use some extra money! I can't find on their website though if you get to choose your hours and between PC and some other commitments, weekends would be hard for me to commit to. Thanks for the link!

I seem to remember reading that it would be nights and weekends as that is when most people are at home.

I went and took the test last week but I haven't heard anything back from them yet so fingers crossed!

I need any and all work I can get right now!

I took the test as well and have not heard back. I scored 26/28 so I figured I would get called since you only had to a 10 to pass!

I can't participate.You see, they know that I've taken leave of my census.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
I can't participate.

You see, they know that I've taken leave of my census.

I like that!:D

When I took the test they told us there would be data entry jobs, field jobs, etc. The hours would be whatever you can give. On the application it list 8am to 12noon, 12noon to 4pm and 4pm to 9pm Sunday through Saturday. You can work up to 40 hours a week and you get paid weekly. If the job you gets requires driving you also get your mileage paid for.

great Idea.... the town I teach in is trying to push people to complete the cencus.. as it determines the money we get from the state for special programs. Many people who would fall into the lower bracket are not filling it out... many reasons why... maybe I can promote healthy and the $2 per serving meals???

I am working in the Census office in Oregon. I am in recruiting and we are telling people that we are calling to hire end of Feb first part of March. Also vetrans get preference on jobs, depending on their test scores. Then we start calling based on need for area and test scores. Also make sure you answer the phone when they call. If you don't answer they leave a message, then they call the next person, first person they talk to gets the job.

Thanks for sharing that, kristenlee. I will be sure to keep my cell phone on when I am not at home. Would not want to miss that call!

I will be taking the exam tomorrow eve. Can't wait!

I took the test today and got 25/28. It's SUPER easy!

Kristenlee...thanks for sharing the information. I took the test in January and have been waiting and waiting~

redsoxgirl said:
I took the test today and got 25/28. It's SUPER easy!

That's what I got, DH got a 27/28 and he's ESL and not US citizen LMFAO!

Did they mention the "supervisor test" to you? Did you consider taking it?

robochick84 said:
That's what I got, DH got a 27/28 and he's ESL and not US citizen LMFAO!

Did they mention the "supervisor test" to you? Did you consider taking it?

No one mentioned the "supervisor test" to our testing group. I probably would have taken it just to see what score I would get.

Has anyone gotten a call yet?

No call yet.

no call here.

Check your test scores. If you don't get over 90% take the test again. There is a lot of competition for the jobs. Depends on test score and the need in your area. They will not hire you outside your area.

Training today - first of 4 days - got one recruit lead (these are all people now with a "part time job", stay at men and women, self-employed), one booked party, one order. (and that was in one 10-min break and one 30-min lunch break!) Took my new dots roller bag - and brownies on bar pan to share...what a fun day.

Chip... I tried to PM you but it is disabled... You need to take out your web address, it is against policy. If you want people here to know it just post as /chiplines. Don't want to see a fellow cheffer get in trouble with HO.

kristenlee said:
Check your test scores. If you don't get over 90% take the test again. There is a lot of competition for the jobs. Depends on test score and the need in your area. They will not hire you outside your area.

It may be different in areas. I know here, you only had to get 10 correct, that's not even 50%.

ChipLines said:
Training today - first of 4 days - got one recruit lead (these are all people now with a "part time job", stay at men and women, self-employed), one booked party, one order. (and that was in one 10-min break and one 30-min lunch break!) Took my new dots roller bag - and brownies on bar pan to share...what a fun day.

That is great! Wonder how many more recruit leads, bookings and orders you will end up with at the end of training?!

Thought I would give an update on this. I have not received a call yet.
However, while waiting I was offered a full time job so I took it! I have been working for over a week and I like it.
I will miss out on conference this year but next year I will be there because I will have paid vacation time to use.
I am also happy to report that I have some new customers already!$$$

lovescooking said:
Thought I would give an update on this. I have not received a call yet.
However, while waiting I was offered a full time job so I took it! I have been working for over a week and I like it.
I will miss out on conference this year but next year I will be there because I will have paid vacation time to use.
I am also happy to report that I have some new customers already!$$$

Congrats!

I also, after one year, finally have a job again and just completed my first full week!

I started receiving calls from the census about a week ago. I keep receiving them from different people, which is rather tedious in my opinion. Perhaps they are for different districts, etc? But I keep getting more calls and reasked.

I don't have the ability to do the training now that I am working, and with working full time, PC, and grad school, I don't know where I would find the time to do it after that!

how long does it take to take the exam?

smspamperedchef said:
how long does it take to take the exam?

I may be wrong, but I don't think the exam is available any longer.

It was only a half hour.

robochick84 said:
Congrats!

I also, after one year, finally have a job again and just completed my first full week!

I started receiving calls from the census about a week ago. I keep receiving them from different people, which is rather tedious in my opinion. Perhaps they are for different districts, etc? But I keep getting more calls and reasked.

I don't have the ability to do the training now that I am working, and with working full time, PC, and grad school, I don't know where I would find the time to do it after that!

Congrats to you also!

I have been a stay-at-home-Mom for the last 11 years and decided it was time to get back out there.

I would not have the time for the training either. I want to make sure that I have plenty of time for TPC also.

I trained last week and will start the actual census taking tomorrow :) YAY! Unfortunately, you can not wear logo wear during the process. Yay for my car sticker :)

Well, I decided this past week to take the offer from the Census as I was laid off again last Friday (already) from my new job.

I was hoping someone who is currently doing the census may have some enlightening information regarding unemployment and working the census?

Does this work like any part-time work and you just keep calling every week and file as usual?

Do you have to close your UI claim and reopen when you finish the part time census position?

Thanks for any info... the info on the Internet is "vague".

Keep your fingers crossed. I took the test in 2008 and just got a call last week. I too am thinking I can try and get some business by wearing my logowear.

I am now a crew leader for non response follow up. It was due to this link that I applied for the census...Thank you for starting it! I have 3 substantial orders and 2 recruit leads!

ughubug said:
I am now a crew leader for non response follow up. It was due to this link that I applied for the census...Thank you for starting it! I have 3 substantial orders and 2 recruit leads!

Great news! What do you wear or carry while you are our and about?

I was supposed to be on assignment this week, but we do not have a crew leader in our area yet. It seems to be here that crew leaders only make $1 more an hour, and no one is willing to step into the position..... forget the FOS, people get in and leave the same week!

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
PamperChefCarol
  • The_Kitchen_Guy
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
NooraK
  • tmseiling
  • General Chat
Replies