• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

2 Bookings Even With "Debbie Downer" as a Guest!

In summary, the customer was difficult, had no appreciation for what the host was doing, and was disruptive.
Sheila
Gold Member
I've dealt with some negative people in my past, but man did I have a challenge on Sunday!

Backtracking a bit ... I worked a booth on Saturday & had someone approach me & ask if I was the consultant for the Sunday show. She wanted to order, but was not willing to attend the show because of a particular guest. I thought "how bad could she be?" Well, I guarantee that within 5 min's of her arrival, I knew she had to be the one the customer mentioned.

She said she was pregnant, but I'd have never guessed it. She must still be very early in the pregnancy.

She complained about the crack in the couch cushions where she was sitting. The host apologized.

When I announced that this was an interactive show, she grumbled that she didn't want to get up & work. I explained that if she couldn't go home & repeat what we did, then she didn't learn anything & what was the point of attending (in a nice joking tone of course). So she got up & followed the crowd.

She was chopping lettuce & said "I don't see the difference between these and the ones that I bought at the BX" (BX stands for "Base Exchange" - it's kind of like the old style Wal-Mart without food crossed with a JC Penny). Of course I explained how the knives at the BX are good, but PC makes good, better & best & what she was holding was "best", then elaborated on how the knives are made.

She fussed about the fact that we were making the meat for the Taco Ring in the microwave and how it would taste nasty. I explained that because the steam stays in the pot, people who don't know it was cooked in the microwave would NEVER guess that it was.

The host's microwave was a very low wattage, and the Chocolate Velvet Cake with Strawberries didn't finish cooking on a tiny section of one side. We didn't realize it until it had cooled & we lifted off the fluted stone. About 1/4 of the cake just kind of melted down the plate like a molten cake would do. She then fussed that since she was pregnant and the cake had eggs which didn't finish cooking ... she couldn't have any. I brought it to her attention that the opposite side of the cake was just fine. All the other guests laughed and were fine with it. Even after it was decorated, they were all "ooohing" and "aaahing". (I refrained from commenting when I saw Debbie Downer cutting herself a huge slice of the cake! LOL)

When I asked the guests how they liked the Taco Ring, everyone was giving positive feedback. I asked "Would you have ever guessed that the meat was done in the microwave if you had not seen it done?" Everyone was in agreement that NO, they'd have never guessed it. Add a 3 second pause ... then you hear Debbie Downer say "well, ACTUALLY, it is a little dry." Then she went on to elaborate how her taco meat is always nice & juicy (meaning "runny"). I saw other guests scowling at her. I explained that we put the cheese IN the taco meat to absorb any extra moisture so that no juice would run off the stone and into the bottom of the oven.

While I was trying to go over the host specials, she kicked the host's cat for trying to sit on her foot! :eek: That became a HUGE distraction with the host trying to get the cat away from her.

But when it was all said and done, 2 of the 9 guests booked shows. :D

I did catch a couple of guests whispering complaints about her in the kitchen. Then after she had left, the host was apologizing for inviting her. I've since received an e-mail from the host apologizing yet again. I'm a retired police dispatcher. I'm accustomed to dealing with people on the WORST day of their life (no one ever calls 911 unless they are the victim of something). I've been screamed at and cussed at too many times to count. I did feel bad for everyone who was trying to have a good time, but thankfully I don't take those types of personalities too seriously. ;)

Oh yes, we are all military here, so everyone gets paid at the same time. As a group, they all decided to wait until payday to submit the show. They would rather have the extra $ to spend than to get their products a week sooner. Of course Debbie Downer had to complain about how she was trying to get ERD orders (where the military pays for an Early Return of Dependants) - so she can have her baby in the states and made a HUGE deal about needing her order shipped to the states. Then she goes on to make a huge deal that even though she was paying by check and not credit card like the other guests, that I needed to hold her check until payday before making a deposit. :rolleyes: Luckily, she uses the same bank that I use. They process the check on the spot & then my deposit is considered "cash", I don't have to worry about her check bouncing. If there are insufficient funds, they will just hand it back to me & tell me to try again later. That's at least SOMETHING positive about having to make a 2nd trip to the bank. So after it's all said & done & I'm finished with her order & have moved on and talking to the two ladies who were booking a show, Debbie Downer interrupted me in mid sentence to announce that she'd forgotten to use the stateside address & had put her military address. I offered to let her change it, add tax & re-write her check. She refused & decided to just leave it with the military address. It's a 4 week shipping and (as I've said) the guests voted to wait a week to submit the show for payday. So now they are looking at waiting 5 weeks for their products. Something tells me I'll be dealing with Debbie Downer again before her products arrive. I'm sure she'll call in 2-3 weeks complaining that they have not yet arrived. :rolleyes:

The show is currently at $729.45 and the host is not done collecting outside orders. So with good show sales & 2 bookings I think the headache will have all been worth it in the end. :thumbup:

Dang! I wrote a book!!! :blushing:

But I do feel better getting it off my chest. ;)

wow. that was one guest! you have handled that with more tact than i would have! negative people just really bother me! *crossing my fingers for you that she doesn't call you about anything* :)

Wow...you have the patience of a saint!!!

I had a DD at my show on Sunday. After I announced the guest special, she started complaining that she could not get her stones to work right. OK??????? Luckily one expereinced lady chimes in, well you need to season them well. I still did not get what she meant about getting them to work right. Anyways, kind of changed the subject and moved on really fast! LOL! Her daughter booked a party off of me, so I am sure I will be seeing my DD again.

Before I became a consultant, my friends and I had many many parties with the same consultant and one of our coworkers was the DD of the group. SHe came to all the parties and spent lots of money, but always had negative things to say. She is a really sweet person and all, but she does not cook and just buys PC to help out whoever is having the party. On the upside, she is doing a party for me tonight and guess what? Her outside orders are at $700! I have not even done the party yet! There are 20 confirmed guests. We are doing a fundraiser for Breast Cancer 3 Day. She wants to help me, even though she does not use her stuff. I am getting lots of new contacts in my first 90 days and she is getting what she needs. We are going to do door prizes with lots of her stuff she has not even opened yet. Too crazy. Anyways, I dread the DD at my future parties and I think you do have the patience of a saint. It is so sad that some people are so negative about EVERYTHING!

Good for you for being able to stay above the fray and see this person for what she is--negative about everything.

Wow - I feel sorry for her. It has to be miserable to be that negative all the time. How sad.:(

I'm sure if she's like that all the time, no one gives much weight to anything she complains about - good for you for just going on and doing a great show for everyone else!

Awe, thanks for the compliments ladies, but it's really all about training. I took a course that taught me how to control callers, which means how to control a conversation. In law enforcement, you have a limited time to get the pertinent information obtained & relayed to the responding units. If you allow a caller to ramble, you loose precious time. The same applies in these situations. I wasn't rude, but I had a response to every one of her complaints. Which obviously worked fairly well, because each time it did stop her current complaint. She just couldn't refrain from making the next one.There are just some people in this world (my Mother included) who seriously do not realize that it's okay to not actually SAY every thought that crosses their minds. LOL Debbie Downer, was obviously one of those people. I now understand why the guest the day before was refraining from attending the show. Sad that her presence is so obnoxious that others won't attend a party because they know that she will be there. 16 RSVP'd & 9 showed. I wonder how many more found out at the last minute that she would be in attendance???

I'm like you and am in the military. I book most of my shows around paydays so people have money like you. There is one wive that I can't stand and of course she's invited to a few shows...the worst part, she's a past consultant and has to chime in on every product OR she talks about something totally different to someone else and is loud! UGH!
I felt so bad for one of my recruits because this chick showed up at her 3rd show and unfortunately I had no advanced warning. My recruit is shy to start and hates losing control of her audience that this made it even tougher! Throw in that the host and 2 others spoke spanish as their first language and BAM a double whammy. Show closed at $294 but the recruit was okay with it since she was able to get her feet wet! :)

Good luck Sheila- I'm sure you will see DD again soon complaining you cashed her check too soon (even on payday), the products haven't arrived yet (she knew the timing), etc. We'll say an extra prayer for you!

Becky, that's sad that your recruit had to deal with someone like that so early in her career. You would think that a past consultant would have the common courtesy to be polite. That's super sad that someone who's been there, done that would be so rude.And I expect complaints for the slow shipping, but the check will not be an issue. We both use Navy Federal and I know that their deposits do not show up until 2PM the NEXT day for us here in Japan. I'll wait until 3 or so when I KNOW that her husband's paycheck is there! LOL And like I said, Navy Federal processes the check right then and adds those amounts to my deposit as "cash", so there's absolutely NO possibility of those checks bouncing. :p

Sheila said:
Awe, thanks for the compliments ladies, but it's really all about training. I took a course that taught me how to control callers, which means how to control a conversation. In law enforcement, you have a limited time to get the pertinent information obtained & relayed to the responding units. If you allow a caller to ramble, you loose precious time. The same applies in these situations. I wasn't rude, but I had a response to every one of her complaints. Which obviously worked fairly well, because each time it did stop her current complaint. She just couldn't refrain from making the next one.

There are just some people in this world (my Mother included) who seriously do not realize that it's okay to not actually SAY every thought that crosses their minds. LOL Debbie Downer, was obviously one of those people. I now understand why the guest the day before was refraining from attending the show. Sad that her presence is so obnoxious that others won't attend a party because they know that she will be there. 16 RSVP'd & 9 showed. I wonder how many more found out at the last minute that she would be in attendance???

OMG - I SO need to take this course - where do I sign up?????

Probably with her law enforcement job. Though it would be great if PC offered something like this to us! :)

Wow! You did a great job!
I recently had a show with a dd.. she told me that she had high quality cookware and knives and that she was going to be a hard sell. I picked up my magic pot and magically bashed her head in. It felt great.
j/k..
I just smiled and said you will be amazed. She spent about $70.00. I guess she wasn't that hard of a sell after all.

Sheila said:
Becky, that's sad that your recruit had to deal with someone like that so early in her career. You would think that a past consultant would have the common courtesy to be polite. That's super sad that someone who's been there, done that would be so rude.

And I expect complaints for the slow shipping, but the check will not be an issue. We both use Navy Federal and I know that their deposits do not show up until 2PM the NEXT day for us here in Japan. I'll wait until 3 or so when I KNOW that her husband's paycheck is there! LOL And like I said, Navy Federal processes the check right then and adds those amounts to my deposit as "cash", so there's absolutely NO possibility of those checks bouncing. :p

Thanks- yeah you'd think a past consultant would be polite, and i'm sure there are many out there that are polite, but this one is a pain/snob even out in town. I hate to be around her.

I love Navy Federal for the exact reason you said about cashing their checks! :)
Take care!

I agree with needing a course on how to control calls! And when will you be giving lessons on how to keep your cool when dealing with DDs? I could use that one too!

beckyjsmith said:
Wow! You did a great job!
I recently had a show with a dd.. she told me that she had high quality cookware and knives and that she was going to be a hard sell. I picked up my magic pot and magically bashed her head in. It felt great.
j/k..
I just smiled and said you will be amazed. She spent about $70.00. I guess she wasn't that hard of a sell after all.

LOL - best thing I've read all day! Thanks for tickling my funny bone.
c893656c4bc54cfbe88e59d5f956dbd27f1.gif

Yes the training was through the Police Department. It was geared more toward how to calm & control callers on 911 but most of the basic principals hold true in regular day-to-day situations. The object is to remain calm in tone & demeanor. When someone calls 911 & is so frantic that they are yelling & not listening, you can calmly repeat their name (if you know it - or Ma'am/Sir if you don't) until they stop & scream "WHAT???" - now you have their attention, but you MUST be able to keep it! Most adults hate being told what to do, but if you give them a reason to listen or cooperate they usually will. So telling some one "You need to calm down" is never as effective as "I need you to calm down so that I can help you." Now you've given them a command, but since you've presented it in a calm tone and WITH a reason for why you need them to comply, they always seem to be ready to comply. It's amazing how effective the technique is!!!

The call started off with a female who had a VERY heavy ebonic accent which made some of the class members have to really strain to try & understand what it was that was being said. Now remember, the point of the training tape was to see a prime example of why a dispatcher needs to take control of a call and not allow the caller to "ramble". So the tape went something like this:

Dispatcher: 911 what is your emergency
Caller: (screaming) my husband got bit by a snake
D: where?
C: in the back yard
D: no Ma'am, where on his body?
C: (unable to understand)
D: where?
C: on the (unable to understand)...stick
D: on the what?
C: on the joystick (this time, the word was clear as a bell)
D: on the what?
C: on the ****! (4 letter word for the male anatomy) He got bit by a snake on the ****!

At this point the dispatcher didn't know what to say and was just silent, so the caller began to ramble. Apparently she had taken a first aid class that taught her that you should cut an "x" on the snake bite wound and then try to extract the venom by using your mouth for suction. So she had actually cut an X at the sight of the wound, but then realized the next step and was refusing to perform that act. The terminology that she was using was hilarious. Obviously, I can't repeat it all here. But she was screaming over & over in very common terms and using a derogatory term to refer to her African American husband - that she was not going to perform that act. "I ain't [act] that [derogatory term]'s [4 letter word for the male anatomy]!" And I swear, she said it at least a dozen times!!! We were laughing so hard that we all had tears rolling out of our eyes. The instructor kept having to pause the tape so that we could gain our composure. As soon as she would start the tape again & we would hear THAT phrase again, we would all bust out laughing. I think the instructor ended up stopping the tape 4 or 5 times.

The "what & why" technique is so much more effective than just allowing the person to rant/ramble. Actually, for you mom's - it works on kids too! My daughter is 23 months old, but starting around the age of 16 months, I could say "Kiera, I need you to use your words so that Mommy can understand what you want" She would stop her crying fit & start jabbering and signing her request. My husband used to just stop & stare in amazement. Now I'll often catch him using the technique too. ;)

ChefBeckyD said:
LOL - best thing I've read all day! Thanks for tickling my funny bone.
c893656c4bc54cfbe88e59d5f956dbd27f1.gif

:D Glad to oblige! :)

I have a "cheerleader" and a "cop" at my shows. Every time someone says something positive, the cheerleader uses the "clappy hands" to cheer them. Whenever someone is negative, the "cop" shoots them with the toy gun I give them! It stops the negativity really quickly! Maybe you need that the next time! LOL!

laughing so hard I am crying!!!!! Thanks, I needed that!!

What is a "Debbie Downer" guest?

A "Debbie Downer" guest is someone who is negative, uninterested, or uncooperative during a Pampered Chef party or demonstration.

How can I still get two bookings with a "Debbie Downer" guest?

One strategy is to focus on the positive aspects of the products and the company, and try to engage the "Debbie Downer" guest in a fun and interactive way. Another strategy is to have a backup plan, such as offering an online party option or a personal shopping experience, in case the guest is not interested in hosting a party.

What if the "Debbie Downer" guest is not interested in hosting a party or making a purchase?

It's important to remember that not every guest will be interested in hosting a party or making a purchase. In this case, it's best to thank the guest for attending and offer to keep them updated on future promotions or products that may interest them.

How can I prevent "Debbie Downer" guests from affecting the energy of the party?

One way to prevent "Debbie Downer" guests from affecting the energy of the party is to set the tone from the beginning. Start the party with a positive and enthusiastic attitude, and engage all guests in fun activities and demonstrations. Also, try to diffuse any negative comments or attitudes by addressing them with positivity and humor.

What are some tips for dealing with a "Debbie Downer" guest during a party?

Some tips for dealing with a "Debbie Downer" guest during a party include staying positive and energetic, acknowledging their comments but not dwelling on them, and redirecting the conversation to more positive topics. It can also be helpful to have a co-host or assistant who can engage the "Debbie Downer" guest while you continue with the party. Above all, remember to stay professional and not take the negative comments personally.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• wadesgirl
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
PChefPEI
  • BlessedWifeMommy
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
chezshelly
  • melissa3026