• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Best Laptop for a Responsible 10-Year-Old: Recommendations and Tips

In summary, my daughter is going to get a laptop for Christmas and it doesn't have to be a very expensive one. She is going to use it for schoolwork and for playing Webkinz. She is not going to be able to use it when her chores and schoolwork are done, but she will have rules and restrictions set up. There are a lot of Black Friday ads already sneak-peeked and Kristina recommends staying away from a Dell Inspirion because she has had problems with it.
babywings76
Gold Member
I need recommendations if you have them. :)

My daughter is 10 yrs old and my husband and I want to get her a laptop for Christmas. I know that sounds extreme, but she is very responsible. She doesn't really play with toys, she's not into dolls, she has plenty of craft projects kits. What she likes to do is write stories and play Webkinz. We will have rules and restrictions and set her up as safe as we can and monitor what she is exposed to and she's only going to be able to use it when her chores and schoolwork are done.

That said, what is a good basic laptop that doesn't cost an arm and a leg, yet has enough memory and is fast enough to keep up with things as she gets older and uses it for more schoolwork and such?

A dell or an HP would be good and not very expensive

I am looking for my kids as well. They are 10 and 7 and play games online and on CD-rom. And I am tired of them trying to horn in on my computer (plus if they accidentally click on a virus or something, I don't want to lose all my business stuff!).

There are alot of Black Friday ads already sneak-peeked... did you check them out? Black Friday Ads for Black Friday 2009 and Black Friday Deals! or gottadeal.blackfriday.com

Of course, you'd have to wait in line for those great deals.

the only thing I'd recommend is to stay away from a Celeron processor. I have found them to be notoriously slow.

My mom just bought an Acer laptop at Staples for about $450 and she loves it.

There are the new mini laptops available that may work well for a younger child.

I just clicked on that link and it shows that they are sold out of those now. :)

Aww bummer... I figured they'd go fast. It's posted on every "deal" website right now. Checked the reviews everywhere and it sounds like a decent value for what I need it for. My kids are going to be soooo excited!

Oh yikes, I'm sorry I missed that! I'm looking for a new laptop myself right now!! The one I want is backordered at Best Buy!

all i will tell you is NOT to get a dell inspiron! i bought one and it hasn't even been a year and the battery will not hold a charge, a few keyboard buttons have popped off and the stupid thing keeps freezing! it freezes so much, i stopped taking it to shows because i was having to reboot 5 times a night! i just do everything on paper now.

kristina16marie said:
all i will tell you is NOT to get a dell inspiron! i bought one and it hasn't even been a year and the battery will not hold a charge, a few keyboard buttons have popped off and the stupid thing keeps freezing! it freezes so much, i stopped taking it to shows because i was having to reboot 5 times a night! i just do everything on paper now.

Been there, done that, then bought a MAC. Not one problem since. I am a Mac convert!

I would have to second what Kristina said. I got a Dell Inspirion and I got the extended warranty and it only lasted 1 1/2 years and then the hard drive went out and the store wouldn't honor the extended warranty. I decided I'm done with pcs and I got a Mac yes more expensive but not the issues of viruses, etc either. There is a learning curve but I love my mac!! I will never go back to a PC.

I'd love to get her a Mac, (we just converted our main family computer to an iMac), but I don't know if I can spend $1,000 on a laptop. I wish there was another smaller version I could get that would be cheaper. Or, are there websites where you can find Mac's for cheaper?

1. What is the best laptop for my daughter's first computer?

The best laptop for your daughter's first computer will depend on her specific needs and preferences. Some popular options for a first laptop include the MacBook Air, Dell Inspiron, and Microsoft Surface Pro.

2. What features should I look for in a laptop for my daughter?

Some important features to consider when choosing a laptop for your daughter include the processor speed, amount of RAM, storage capacity, and battery life. You may also want to consider the weight and size of the laptop if she will be carrying it around.

3. Is it better to get a Windows or Mac laptop for my daughter?

This will depend on your daughter's personal preference and what she will be using the laptop for. Mac laptops are known for their sleek design and user-friendly interface, while Windows laptops offer a wider variety of options and may be more affordable.

4. Should I purchase a warranty for my daughter's laptop?

It is always a good idea to consider purchasing a warranty for your daughter's laptop, especially if it is her first one. This can provide added protection in case of any hardware or software issues that may arise.

5. Are there any parental controls or safety measures I should implement on my daughter's laptop?

Many laptops come with built-in parental controls and safety measures that you can set up to protect your daughter while she is using the computer. These may include content filters, time limits, and monitoring tools. It is also important to educate your daughter about internet safety and responsible computer usage.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• jst4467
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
koima
  • lesliec
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
emiscookin
  • babywings76