1. Join Chef Success Today!
    Get support for your PC business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of support threads! Totally Free!
    Dismiss Notice

Pampered Chef: 1st laptop for daughter

1. babywings76

babywings76 Legend Member Gold Member

I need recommendations if you have them. :)

My daughter is 10 yrs old and my husband and I want to get her a laptop for Christmas. I know that sounds extreme, but she is very responsible. She doesn't really play with toys, she's not into dolls, she has plenty of craft projects kits. What she likes to do is write stories and play Webkinz. We will have rules and restrictions and set her up as safe as we can and monitor what she is exposed to and she's only going to be able to use it when her chores and schoolwork are done.

That said, what is a good basic laptop that doesn't cost an arm and a leg, yet has enough memory and is fast enough to keep up with things as she gets older and uses it for more schoolwork and such?

Nov 13, 2009
  2. PamperedChefLayla

PamperedChefLayla Member Gold Member

A dell or an HP would be good and not very expensive

3. PampChefJoy

PampChefJoy Veteran Member Gold Member

I am looking for my kids as well. They are 10 and 7 and play games online and on CD-rom. And I am tired of them trying to horn in on my computer (plus if they accidentally click on a virus or something, I don't want to lose all my business stuff!).

There are alot of Black Friday ads already sneak-peeked... did you check them out? Black Friday Ads for Black Friday 2009 and Black Friday Deals! or gottadeal.blackfriday.com

Of course, you'd have to wait in line for those great deals.

the only thing I'd recommend is to stay away from a Celeron processor. I have found them to be notoriously slow.

Nov 13, 2009
  4. chefheidi2003

chefheidi2003 Senior Member Gold Member

My mom just bought an Acer laptop at Staples for about $450 and she loves it.

Nov 13, 2009
  5. wadesgirl

wadesgirl Legend Member Gold Member

There are the new mini laptops available that may work well for a younger child.

Nov 13, 2009
  6. babywings76

I just clicked on that link and it shows that they are sold out of those now. :)

Nov 13, 2009
  7. PampChefJoy

PampChefJoy Veteran Member Gold Member

Aww bummer... I figured they'd go fast. It's posted on every "deal" website right now. Checked the reviews everywhere and it sounds like a decent value for what I need it for. My kids are going to be soooo excited!

Nov 13, 2009
  8. mountainmama74

mountainmama74 Advanced Member Gold Member

Oh yikes, I'm sorry I missed that! I'm looking for a new laptop myself right now!! The one I want is backordered at Best Buy!

9. kristina16marie

kristina16marie Advanced Member Gold Member

all i will tell you is NOT to get a dell inspiron! i bought one and it hasn't even been a year and the battery will not hold a charge, a few keyboard buttons have popped off and the stupid thing keeps freezing! it freezes so much, i stopped taking it to shows because i was having to reboot 5 times a night! i just do everything on paper now.

10. ChefBeckyD

ChefBeckyD Legend Member Gold Member

Been there, done that, then bought a MAC. Not one problem since. I am a Mac convert!

Nov 14, 2009
  11. jj16

jj16 Member Gold Member

I would have to second what Kristina said. I got a Dell Inspirion and I got the extended warranty and it only lasted 1 1/2 years and then the hard drive went out and the store wouldn't honor the extended warranty. I decided I'm done with pcs and I got a Mac yes more expensive but not the issues of viruses, etc either. There is a learning curve but I love my mac!! I will never go back to a PC.

Nov 14, 2009
  12. babywings76

I'd love to get her a Mac, (we just converted our main family computer to an iMac), but I don't know if I can spend $1,000 on a laptop. I wish there was another smaller version I could get that would be cheaper. Or, are there websites where you can find Mac's for cheaper?

Nov 14, 2009
Have something to add?