• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Can I Recruit a Pastry Chef for My Pampered Chef Team?

In summary, Angela suggests that you prepare by reviewing the recruiting album, practicing with someone, and being open to questions. She also encourages you to turn any hesitations into questions and only answer them. Finally, she suggests giving people a "try this for 60 days to see if its for you" so they do not feel like they are making a commitment.
acherry
Gold Member
Hello Everyone,
I have my first real recruiting interview on Thursday, (my 1st 2 recruits signed up and I didn't even ask them...), and I'm a little nervous!!
The big kicker though, is that she just graduated as a Pastry Chef from the Culinary Institute!!! I met her at my booth at a local fair, and she loved the products as some of them weren't included in her kit purchased from the institute...and she hasn't got a job yet, so I started telling her about PC (no, she's never heard of us) and she was very interested, as was her husband...who thought she could do this until she found a "pastry" job or even make it into a career (which is cool that he supports this too)
I gave her some info, and we are meeting this Thursday...I've been listening to the CDs, etc to help..but I'm still looking for all advice possible!!
Thanks everyone!!
Cheers,
Angela

Well, it sounds like you're doing all you can to prepare! Do you have the recruiting album with the inserts? It's a binder that has pages with stuff about the opportunity on each page. It's just good as an outline when you're reviewing all they need to know. Maybe you can practice with someone and kind of role play. Maybe your recruiter or director can do that with you, if they haven't already. They can also come up with some common objections for you so you're used to answering any questions about those. I would just try to act like you're talking about the opportunity to a friend or family member who isn't too familiar with what you do. I know when I picture myself talking to someone I know ABOUT something I know (which you do....you're already doing this job! :) ), it sets me at ease.

One way some people start off is by asking "Do you want me to share with you HOW to get started or do you want me to share with you WHY to get started?" Sometimes people are truly just ready to go and get online and do the agreement and you don't want to talk them out of it. If she's not ready to sign right there on the spot (or go home and do it) if you do have the recruiting binder, go through that first, then open it up to questions. Encourage her to think of a list of people she can ask about hosting so she can start her list of 100. Not people she only thinks will say yes, but EVERYBODY she can ask, whether or not they are people she thinks would say yes. Then encourage her to line up as best she can her first 6 shows since, as we know, this will get her off to a solid start.

Good luck! Be sure to let us know how it goes!

RecruitingResist the urge to fill them with information. Just answer the questions they ask. While there is nothing manipulative in speaking to a recruit, you know SO MUCH and it is already a little overwhelming.

The best recruiter I have ever known gave me 3 bits of advice.
1. Treat them like a pigeon. Throw a crumb, they come closer. Throw a couple crumbs, they come closer. Throw the loaf, they fly away.
2. Turn their hesitations into a question and only answer that question. Recrut: Doesn't PC take a lot of time in the evenings? You: How much time do you think it takes? / Recruit: Don't you have to go to a lot of meetings? You: What do you think our meeting schedule is? / Recruit: Doesn't your family resent your being gone so much? You: Tell me about your family. (later) How much did you think PC would take you away from them? // most importantly, don't be defensive--they are not attacking you personally, simply being critical because they care. Just answer their question and get as much information as you can from them. Show them whenever you can, that the reality is just the opposite of their fear... "some PC consultants do all their shows during the day at retirement communities / we choose to attend the meetings we find helpful to us in our business / many families appreciate the extra income PC brings and help the consultant with their show preparations."
3. Give folks a "try this for 60 days to see if its for you" so they feel like they are not making some huge commitment. She encourages folks to host 1 kitchen show that the recruiter demonstrates and gets 2 other kitchen show hosts at that show to "help Renee the Recruit", and that the Recruit gets 2 catalog shows and hosts another "open house" with a recipe demo when their tools come to collect orders, to list as their 6 bookings. She doesn't even go into the bonus and superstarters, until the recruit asks for/about it. "Oh, Renee, I totally forgot to tell you about that - yes, you also get..."
Good luck in your business!

Good Luck Angela and let us know how it goes!! :D

!!Hi Everyone,
So here's my update...well, I don't think I did that well at the "interview" as it is sooo hard to minimize the amount of information, when its just bursting to come off my tongue...but alas, her two hesitations were, she hates selling, and the cost of the kit...
So I told her that "You don't "sell", you teach, and that you actually have the best possible background for this...I said "look how many people pay $100 a ticket to go see Emeril Live, as a professional Chef and a Pampered Chef, your guests will be so excited that a "professional Chef" is teaching them "great tips" and if they spend $100 they actually get to "take something home" as opposed to "throwing away a ticket". Plus you can always lead into recruiting by saying "You don't have to be a Professional Chef to be a Pampered Chef consultant and let me show you why"... You will be teaching/showing them how to make great recipes with great products...and after that..the products sell themselves.."

And then I mentioned that she can have her own show, and bring down the cost of the kit that way. So she says her house is very small...so I offered my house for her show, and she said...........YES!!!!! She's so excited...about the flexibility (she has 3 kids) and the money potential and knowing she is NOT ALONE...and not selling door-to-door!! So we have her show in early Sept., so she is able to get started quickly after that...
So although my interviewing "skills" weren't all that great...her passion for cooking and getting great products overrode my terrible sputtering words!!
Well, luckily, I will never have a 1st interview ever again...and with practice, I'll get better...so...I guess I need to get more recruiting interviews lined up so I can practice...hehehe...and who knows...maybe more than one will say Yes..!
Thanks for all your help/support and advise...it really helped!
Cheers,
Angela

Yea!!WAY TO GO ANGELA!! I'm sure your interview wasn't a "sputtering" mess of words :p !!! You just opened a new door for her! Isn't it great knowing you helped?! Congrats on your new recruit!!! :D :D

Congratulations Angela!!! You did a WONDERFUL job at addressing her selling hesitation!

Great job, Angela!From what you described, it doesn't sound like you sputtered at all! Great job addressing her concerns! We really do teach, and that's what gets the sale, not being a "professional salesperson". Congrats again!

Diane

Angela,
It sounds like you did a great job! Don't worry about it not coming off your tongue perfectly. I can't even do that at my shows....even after 2 1/2 years! It sounds like you handled her concerns very well! I really like the teaching vs. selling example! That was great!! And you obviously handled her objection about the cost of the Starter Kit perfectly! When did she book the show for? What a great offer to let her have it at your house! You'll definitely have to keep us posted.

Great job with your first interview! You're right, you'll never have a "first" one again and you'll always learn ways to tweak it. :D

Wow! I wish I could think that quickly! Congratulations!

What is a 1st ever recruiting interview?

A 1st ever recruiting interview is the initial meeting between a candidate and a company's hiring team. It is the first step in the hiring process and is used to evaluate a candidate's qualifications and fit for the job.

How should I prepare for a 1st ever recruiting interview?

To prepare for a 1st ever recruiting interview, research the company and the position you are applying for. Practice common interview questions and have examples ready to showcase your skills and experience. Dress professionally and arrive early for the interview.

What types of questions can I expect in a 1st ever recruiting interview?

In a 1st ever recruiting interview, you can expect to be asked about your work experience, skills, and qualifications. You may also be asked behavioral and situational questions to assess how you would handle certain situations on the job.

How long does a 1st ever recruiting interview typically last?

The duration of a 1st ever recruiting interview can vary depending on the company and the position. On average, it can last anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour.

What happens after a 1st ever recruiting interview?

After a 1st ever recruiting interview, the hiring team will review your performance and determine if you are a good fit for the job. If you are selected, you may be invited for a second interview or receive a job offer. If you are not selected, you may be notified of the decision or placed on a waiting list for future opportunities.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• ShelbyMichalek
  • Pampered Chef Recruiting
Replies
Views
Jolie_Paradoxe
  • Cr8vKitchen
  • Pampered Chef Recruiting
Replies
Views
esavvymom
  • Jolie_Paradoxe