• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Empowering Your 18 Year Old Niece to Start Her Own Business: Tips and Advice

In summary, the conversation revolves around a niece who just turned 18 and is interested in joining the PC business. Her aunt, who is already a consultant, is apprehensive about her joining due to her lack of experience in the "real world." Others in the conversation advise treating her like any other recruit and offering her the same tools and advice. They also mention that age does not necessarily determine success in this business. Some suggest having the niece's mother, who is also the sister of the aunt, join in on the discussion to provide support. Overall, the conversation highlights the potential for success regardless of age and the importance of treating the niece as an adult and giving her the opportunity to succeed on her own.
wadesgirl
Gold Member
My niece who just turned 18 over the summer has been expressing an interest in PC since earlier this year. She did a catalog show for me then and wants to do one now. She's struggling finding a job that will pay her but also be flexible. Last night we talked about her catalog show and her mom (my sister) mentioned that she should start her own business under me. I would love to sit down and talk to her but I'm a little apprehensive. She is a senior in high school and really doesn't know much about "the real world". I'm a little afraid that she will require more work than me or her mom have time for! Anyone have any good advice on how to deal with someone so young?

I would not prejudge!! Give her the same tools and advice that you would give any recruit. That is the beauty of this business, You can do as little or as much as you want to determine your own paycheck!

I agree with Michelle. You never know, Many students work for extra income and they put many hours in at low paying jobs. You can offer her a great way to make good income and truely enjoy doing it.

Darcy

I got to thinking that a lot of the products she mentioned yesterday are in the kit:
Food Chopper
Cookware
Forged CutleryI'm not prejudging her just trying to figure out the best way to approach her. Maybe I'll have my sister sit in with us when we discuss the business that way if my niece ever has any questions my sister can be there for her too.And since she wants to do a catalog show, she could just turn it into her first show.

I just signed my 20 year old cousin. I think if she has the ability to do a catalog show, she could give it a try. While it does require work, if she enjoys it & doesn't mind putting the work in, she may have a very successful business by the time she's out of college (if she's going) or by the time she's 25 when most people are just thinking it out.

I just signed an 18 yo. There is no reason to treat her any different than anyone else.

Okay, I am 24 and I started this business when I was 19. I don't know if I would ask your sister to join you when you talk to your niece; if your niece wants her there she will bring her. Treat her like any other adult. I am very successful at this biz (selling about $3000 every month) and I still get treated like a baby by older pc consultants :) I have seen many older consultants that are immature, so I don't think age matters.

anyone remember a 19-year old named Jillian Eisenberg???

it doesn't matter what age, if you have smarts, passion, and drive, you can achieve anything!!

have fun with her!

I think your niece would be like any other consulant: they can make it or not. Its up to her! I wouldn't invite the Mom unless she is your upline director.

AJPratt said:
I think your niece would be like any other consulant: they can make it or not. Its up to her! I wouldn't invite the Mom unless she is your upline director.
Good point!

susanr613 said:
anyone remember a 19-year old named Jillian Eisenberg???

it doesn't matter what age, if you have smarts, passion, and drive, you can achieve anything!!

have fun with her!
Yes I know Jillian was very young when she started!

gilchrist_pchef said:
Okay, I am 24 and I started this business when I was 19. I don't know if I would ask your sister to join you when you talk to your niece; if your niece wants her there she will bring her. Treat her like any other adult. I am very successful at this biz (selling about $3000 every month) and I still get treated like a baby by older pc consultants :) I have seen many older consultants that are immature, so I don't think age matters.
Good to hear from someone who was that young when you started!

DebbieJ said:
I just signed an 18 yo. There is no reason to treat her any different than anyone else.
That's why I posted, I guess I just see her differently because she's my niece! I've known her her whole life! I also cannot believe that she is 18, I guess she is an adult now I should treat her like one.

I love this board, because aside from all of the great info and advice, you can use everyone here as a guage to check yourself. I am always asking "Is it me?!" LOL

AJPratt said:
I love this board, because aside from all of the great info and advice, you can use everyone here as a guage to check yourself. I am always asking "Is it me?!" LOL

Exactly! That's why I like to post things here. I can see everyone else's opinion on what I'm thinking!

I would say that the time you spend with your niece teaching her the business will be an investment in HER future. Give her the guidance she will need and don't give up on her. She is young and she is going to be trying to find her *place* in the world. What better gifts can you give her than the gifts of your love, time, and guidance.

What is an 18 Year Old Recruit Lead?

An 18 Year Old Recruit Lead refers to a person who is 18 years old and has expressed interest in joining a particular organization or military branch.

Why is an 18 Year Old Recruit Lead important?

18 year olds are typically considered adults and are eligible to join certain organizations or branches of the military. They also bring youthful energy and potential to the organization.

How can an 18 Year Old Recruit Lead be obtained?

An 18 Year Old Recruit Lead can be obtained through various methods such as recruiting events, referrals, social media, or through partnerships with schools and community organizations.

What qualities should an 18 Year Old Recruit Lead possess?

An ideal 18 Year Old Recruit Lead should possess qualities such as determination, discipline, leadership potential, physical fitness, and a desire to serve and make a positive impact.

What are the benefits of targeting 18 Year Old Recruit Leads?

Targeting 18 Year Old Recruit Leads can bring fresh perspectives, diverse backgrounds, and a potential long-term commitment to the organization. They can also help with succession planning and fill entry-level positions.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Malinda Klein
  • Pampered Chef Recruiting
Replies
Views
Aunticooks
  • pamperedlinda
  • Pampered Chef Recruiting
Replies
Views
Tropicalburstqt2
  • hmolah