• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Leona Helmsley's $12 Million Dog: The Shocking Inheritance Story

In summary, Leona Helmsley left her dog $12 million dollars but didn't leave 2 of her grandchildren anything!!! A lot of people might not remember Leona but my mother-in-law used to work in one of her hotels. who was she? Did you see the news that Leona Helmsley (aka The Queen of Mean) left her dog $12 million dollars but didn't leave 2 of her grandchildren anything!!! A lot of people might not remember Leona but my mother-in-law used to work in one of her hotels.
Stampaholic1961
Gold Member
Did you see the news that Leona Helmsley (aka The Queen of Mean) left her dog $12 million dollars but didn't leave 2 of her grandchildren anything!!! A lot of people might not remember Leona but my mother-in-law used to work in one of her hotels.

Who was she?

Stampaholic1961 said:
Did you see the news that Leona Helmsley (aka The Queen of Mean) left her dog $12 million dollars but didn't leave 2 of her grandchildren anything!!! A lot of people might not remember Leona but my mother-in-law used to work in one of her hotels.

For some reason, I am not suprised at all! Who did she leave her dog's to?:D

Christ Follower said:
For some reason, I am not suprised at all! Who did she leave her dog's to?:D

Leon's brother, Alvin Rosenthal, was also given millions and named as Trouble's (the dog) caretaker. Trouble will also be buried next to Leona in a luxurious mausoleum. The mausoleum must also be steam-cleaned once a year.

Leona left $5 Million each to 2 of her four grandchildren, but they must visit their father's grave site once a year or they don't get anything! She didn't leave one red cent to her other 2 grandchildren for "reasons they are aware of."

MGG said:
Who was she?

She was a billionaire New York City hotel operator and real estate investor. She was a flamboyant personality and had a reputation for tyrannical behavior that earned her the nickname "Queen of Mean." She was convicted of federal income tax evasion and other crimes in 1989 and served 19 months in prison (and two more months in house arrest), after receiving an initial sentence of 16 years.

Leona Helmsley - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

She was quoted saying that only poor people paid taxes :rolleyes:

she was insane. i love my dog (my dog not my husbands puppy that just chewed up a pair of my friends kenneth cole shoes i was borrowing. lol) but i couldn't imagine leaving him $12 million even if i had it and leaving my family less. that's just crazy!

I read that yesterday and couldn't believe it. She even left money to her driver $100,000. I am nosey and I am wondering what the 2 grandkids did that didn't get anything.

Last edited:
chefheidi2003 said:
I read that yesterday and couldn't believe it. She even left money to her driver $100,000. I am nosey and I am wondering what the 3 grandkids did that didn't get anything.

i'm the same way i need to know everyones business. lol. not ashamed to admit it. lol.

I guess I'm in the minority here. Just because you're related to someone wealthy, doesn't mean you're entitled to anything when they die. It's nice, and can be a reminder of them whenever you spend some. But it shouldn't be something that you expect.

Oh I agree with you but she only had 4 grandkids and if I am not mistaken they were all siblings and she left 2 of them money and 2 of them nothing. That is the only thing that gets me. If she had left everything to her brother, and dog that would be different but for her to leave some to 2 siblings and nothing to the other two, I am just wondering what they did to deserve (not deserve) it.

I agree with Ann - I don't think any of us are entitled to anyone elses money - I would much rather have the person in my life than any amount of money
Ms. Helmsley was not a nice person from most accounts that is why she was named 'The Queen of Mean'. She was even hateful to her family members.

chefann said:
I guess I'm in the minority here. Just because you're related to someone wealthy, doesn't mean you're entitled to anything when they die. It's nice, and can be a reminder of them whenever you spend some. But it shouldn't be something that you expect.

No it certainly doesn't entitle you, BUT if that were MY relative and they left that much money to a DOG and not a penny to me, I would certainly be upset.

If she hadn't left money to the dog NOR me, then I wouldn't be upset. But come on............a DOG?? Please, she did that on purpose to 'stick it ' to them.

She was mean all the way through, even after death!!

She gave money to charities and didn't pay her bills or taxes WOner how many people are trying to levy her estate for all the contractors and bills she had not paid

I strongly believe that spend your money dont save it for your relatives... my grandmother is 84 and she won't spend her money b/c she wants to make sure all her children get so much... I think thats crazy! She should be living her life with it and enjoying herself!

Carissidy said:
I strongly believe that spend your money dont save it for your relatives... my grandmother is 84 and she won't spend her money b/c she wants to make sure all her children get so much... I think thats crazy! She should be living her life with it and enjoying herself!

I totally agree! My grandmother had the same idea about not spending money on herself. She was probably in her late 60's or early 70's & needed a new TV. She didn't want to buy it because she didn't think she would live long enough to get her money's worth out of it!! My mom convinced her to go ahead & spend the money. Any enjoyment she got out of it was worth whatever it cost. It's kinda funny because she ended up living until she was 97!!!

As far as Leona's grandchildren...they didn't necessarily have to "do" anything. She would walk into one of her hotels & if she saw someone that she didn't like their looks....she would have them fired on the spot. She wouldn't know anything about them & how they did their job...she just didn't like their looks!

The hotel that my mother-in-law worked for had just installed brand new carpet. Leona walked in & didn't like it & ordered it ripped out & new carpet installed.

Carissidy said:

I am with you on this one. My grandparents had a lisence plate that said "spending our grandkids inheritance" and they were serious. But I think that it was great that they had fun and spent it since they are the ones who earned it.

We're all entitled to do whatever we want with our money, but to give 12 mill to a dog when there are people starving in the world... ? Just seems foolish. I want to know who the dog is going to leave the money to? ;) And to leave money to others with "strings attached" like visiting someone's grave each year seems manipulative and small to me... I"m not one that would want to feel like the puppet strings are being jerked.

dwyerkim said:
We're all entitled to do whatever we want with our money, but to give 12 mill to a dog when there are people starving in the world... ? Just seems foolish. I want to know who the dog is going to leave the money to? ;) And to leave money to others with "strings attached" like visiting someone's grave each year seems manipulative and small to me... I"m not one that would want to feel like the puppet strings are being jerked.

On Memorial day they can go put flowers on the grave.:D Also what happens if they move away from the cemetary that this person is buried in??

I don't think a relative is entitled just because they are family. It is a little hard to see leaving it to an animal.

Don't get me wrong our puppy is part of the family, I would make sure she was well taken care of.

The article said that the other two g-kids didn't get money "for failure to name any of their children after her late husband."

OH!!! I didn't read that, all I read was that they didn't get any money "for reasons known to them."

dwyerkim said:
This was probably her intention... That they'd have to think about her and how she was still manipulating from the grave. That's why she probably left most of the $$ to the dog so that everyone would know who was most important to her (rub it in.) I agree that no one is entitled though...

What is the "$12 Million Dollar Dog!"?

The "$12 Million Dollar Dog!" is a new, innovative kitchen tool from Pampered Chef that allows you to easily and quickly chop, dice, and mince fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

How does the "$12 Million Dollar Dog!" work?

The "$12 Million Dollar Dog!" features a sharp, stainless steel blade that rotates as you roll the tool over your ingredients. This rotational motion creates a chopping effect, making it easy to achieve the desired consistency.

What are the benefits of using the "$12 Million Dollar Dog!"?

The "$12 Million Dollar Dog!" saves time and effort in the kitchen by making chopping tasks faster and more efficient. It also helps to achieve consistent results and reduces the risk of injury from using traditional knives.

Is the "$12 Million Dollar Dog!" easy to clean?

Yes, the "$12 Million Dollar Dog!" is dishwasher safe for easy cleanup. It can also be easily hand washed with soap and water.

Can the "$12 Million Dollar Dog!" be used for all types of ingredients?

Yes, the "$12 Million Dollar Dog!" is versatile and can be used for a variety of fruits, vegetables, and herbs. However, it is not recommended for use with hard or frozen ingredients.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Tash
  • The_Kitchen_Guy
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
The_Kitchen_Guy
Replies
Views
gingertannery