• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Year-End Taxes or Quarterly Taxes?

In summary, Sarah is worried about taxes and whether she needs to pay quarterly or not. She is not an expert, but she does know that if you are an independent contractor you are not required to pay taxes quarterly. Her accountant might be able to help her more with this question.
JenniK
I just started selling PC this year, so I have no idea what to do about taxes. And I've never been good with what to do aroudn tax time. My dad is an accountant so I rely on him.

It wasn't until last month that I realized I might need to pay some for taxes, so I've put some money aside for that. However, I was talking to a friend the other day that owns a small business and she said that if I wasn't sending in quarterly taxes, that I would have to pay a large fine? Is this true?? :eek: I just assumed that if I kept my receipts and had some money aside, I could take care of all the taxes at the end of the year.

Thanks!

I've never paid quarterly taxes and I've never had fines. I'm not a tax expert in any way, shape or form, but I do believe we don't fall under all of the same tax regulations a regular small business would be subjected to. I'd definitely check with an accountant though, and if your dad does taxes in his accounting business, he'd be fine. But if he doesn't regularly deal with sole proprietorship type tax returns, you might want to check with someone who does.

When I sold Avon, I filed with my year end taxes after I got my W2 from my full time job so I plan on doing the same with PC

You only do it at the end of the year. I wonder if the taxes she sends in is the sales tax? Not sure, not an expert! If you have enough write offs you may not have to pay anything.

As independent contractors (that is what we are), we are required to claim our earnings whether or not we receive a 1099 on our tax return. We are not required to pay taxes quarterly to the government. Now, your state income tax may be different.

Just to clarify - we don't pay the sales tax, TPC does this for each state.

We DO pay taxes on our income from commissions. You can do this on a 1040 return, and claim all your expenses at the same time (hopefully, if you do everything right - including adding in your groceries and mileage, etc, you'll actually have a 'loss' at the end of the year).

I thought you don't want to have a "loss" at the end of every year..my brother is a CPA here in PA..and he told me that if you have a loss for more than I think 3 years..that it is considered a hobby. I might have misunderstood your comment Sarah I just wanted to clarify

A small business with employees would be required to pay State/Federal Withholding, Unemployment, etc....so they would be doing Quarterly Taxes. She may be doing that. (I helped set up this stuff for a business a few years back - but I'm not a tax person...just was more intelligent about it than the business owner!)As sole proprietors with no employees or any of those tax requirements on our earnings- other than regular Income Tax....I've never had to file anything other than the special forms at the Year-end. I know there is/was at least one lady on here that is an accountant...she answers alot of questions I've seen in the past- so maybe she'll see your post and give you a more "official" answer.

Thank you all so much! As soon as my friend had told me that I did panic. I was wondering why I didnt' see anything about it on here! So, phew! I've been keeping receipts (or almost all of them - I wasn't as good about when I first started as I am now), but I haven't been keeping track of mileage. I was under the impression (and not sure why), that if a show was under 20 miles from your residence you couldn't claim it. I only have one show that would fit in to that category. Is that true or not?

Mileage is mileage- if you drove anywhere for your business, grocery store, post office, a show....you can count it.If you didn't keep track, (I'm terrible at it too), I use my calendar and just know that I went to a certain meeting, or show, etc. and then can use Mapquest or something to calculate the mileage from Point A to Point B. It's better than nothing!

I am so bad with Mileage..so..at the end of the year..I always mapquest all of my shows..but..then again..it is not that bad..I don't do too many shows..I WOULD NOT want to do that if I had a bunch of shows..

you can claim a loss for up to $1500 for the first 3 years of your home business. After that you have to claim earnings I believe in order for it to not be considered a hobby

For mileage I bought a mileage book at Staples (one year off ebay) and keep it in my car at all times. If you are just recording your shows, you are missing out on a lot of mileage!

I usually input everything (expenses) as I go in P3. I use the report I get from PC and give that to my accountant. Until July of this year, I have only done PC part time--some years I would break even; some years come out at a "loss", but I haven't really ever owed because of it.

Also, any awards you get from PC you can write off when you use them for business.

How do you claim your mileage? Do you use a rate (i.e per mile to come up with a dollar figure)?

cheflorraine said:
How do you claim your mileage? Do you use a rate (i.e per mile to come up with a dollar figure)?

Yes- per the IRS. You can enter the mileage amount (actual or estimated miles driven), or you can enter your odometer reading- if you track it.

http://www.irs.gov/formspubs/article/0,,id=178004,00.html (link takes you to the IRS webpage)

This whole tax thing has got me thinking so if we come out as a "loss" then are we really making money?

The other part of Quarterly Taxes-
If you are a contract employee (1099) you can set it up to pay quarterly to be applied to that year, ie pay while you go. That way IF you were to owe a bunch of money at the end of the year the brunt of it would already be paid. Does that make sense?

My ex was a DJ and that is how his was set up after one year of oweing a couple $1000. But if you either have another job or don't generate that much income from PC you should be fine.

this is the response I got from a friend who does taxes

You can claim whatever loss your business generates, but after 3 years of consecutive losses, the IRS wants you to be able to prove that it is a business NOT a hobby.
Things like, changing your advertising technique, having a business plan, etc are acceptable.

littlemaisyPC said:
This whole tax thing has got me thinking so if we come out as a "loss" then are we really making money?

Alot of the things you can write off are things you were paying for anyway - writing off mileage to the store or bank when you do personal and PC stuff, writing of household bills if you claim a home office, writing of a cell phone bill, groceries for recipe tasting (which feeds your family). Stuff like that you are paying for anyway but are now considered a business expense.

Can we write off internet as well since we need it to submit orders??

I would say you can only write off your internet if you only use it for submitting shows, since I am assuming all of us use it for personal use also I wouldn't write it off.

Jen1409 said:
Can we write off internet as well since we need it to submit orders??

I do but I also claim a home office.

wadesgirl said:
I do but I also claim a home office.

I do the same. This year I have more then doubled my business and do you know this is the WORST year I have had at record keeping??
I am going to be in a panic at the end of the year!

Question, can you figure out mileage after you have closed a show in P3? And what are we now claiming for mileage now?

I posted it earlier in this thread with a link to the IRS...but it's $0.55 for 2009. Last year, it had two rates depending on the months.
And yes- you can enter mileage after closing a show. I've never entered my expenses in conjunction with a show. I SHOULD! But there are a LOT of things I SHOULD do. :)

Another tax related question - do you do separate taxes for your PC business or just add it to your family taxes?? Will I need to go to H&R Block or can I do it myself using TurboTax?
Thanks!

What can you claim?Check out this helpful document I received from my director. :) It's been very helpful for me to wrap my head around the whole "taxes" part of this business. ;)

Attachments

• What Can I Write Off.doc
    97.5 KB · Views: 936
Dottie, I do my business in my personal taxes since I operate as a sole proprietorship. I use Turbo Tax to do my taxes.

1. What are year-end taxes?

Year-end taxes refer to the taxes that individuals or businesses are required to pay at the end of the tax year. These can include income taxes, property taxes, and any other taxes owed to the government.

2. Who needs to pay quarterly taxes?

Self-employed individuals, freelancers, and independent contractors are typically required to pay quarterly taxes. This is because they do not have taxes withheld from their income throughout the year and are responsible for paying their taxes on a quarterly basis.

3. How do I know if I need to pay quarterly taxes?

You are required to pay quarterly taxes if you expect to owe at least $1,000 in taxes for the year. You may also need to pay quarterly taxes if you expect to owe at least 90% of the taxes you owe for the current year or 100% of the taxes you owed in the previous year (110% if your income is over $150,000).

4. When are quarterly taxes due?

Quarterly taxes are due on the 15th of April, June, September, and January of the following year. If the 15th falls on a weekend or holiday, the due date is the following business day.

5. How do I pay quarterly taxes?

You can pay quarterly taxes online through the IRS website or by mailing a check or money order to the designated address. You may also be able to pay using a credit or debit card, but be aware that there may be additional fees for this option.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• pc_momof3
  • Pampered Chef Finances
Replies
Views
AnaCash
  • cookingwithdot
  • Pampered Chef Finances
Replies
Views
mrshamel3808
  • ponvn591