• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Cutting Meat on Wooden Boards: Debunking Bacteria Myths

In summary, to properly clean and care for a wooden board, use hot water and mild soap, avoid harsh chemicals and soaking, rinse and dry thoroughly, and regularly rub with food-safe mineral oil. It is safe to cut raw meat on a wooden board, but it's important to clean and sanitize it after each use and have a designated board for raw meat. Wooden boards can also be used for cutting vegetables and fruits, but be sure to clean it between uses. The lifespan of a wooden board depends on usage and maintenance, and it's recommended to replace it every 1-2 years. Wooden boards can also be used as serving platters, but make sure to only use one side for cutting and sanitize before and after use.
naekelsey
Gold Member
I had a customer tell me (and everyone at the party) that meat should only be cut on a wooden board because of the something about bacteria. That even "our" boards aren't good for meat.

Has anyone heard of this & know what the heck she is talking about?

She's got it exactly backwards. You should never use a wooden board to cut raw meats because of bacteria. It's ok to carve cooked meat on a wooden board (like our bamboo).

Thank you for the info..

The customer sent this to me, http://www.reluctantgourmet.com/cutting_board.htmI have read it and am kind of confused now

You have good reason to be confused. The experts can't seem to agree. I tell people to choose whichever they think is best and be sure to clean it thoroughly. That's really the key.

1. How do I properly clean and care for my wooden board?

To clean your wooden board, use hot water and mild soap. Avoid harsh chemicals and soaking the board for long periods of time. After washing, rinse the board thoroughly and dry it with a cloth or paper towel. To maintain the quality of your board, regularly rub it with a food-safe mineral oil.

2. Is it safe to cut raw meat on a wooden board?

Yes, it is safe to cut raw meat on a wooden board. However, it is important to thoroughly clean and sanitize the board after each use to prevent cross-contamination. It is also recommended to have a designated board for raw meat to avoid any potential contamination.

3. Can I use a wooden board to cut vegetables and fruits?

Yes, wooden boards are versatile and can be used to cut a variety of foods, including vegetables and fruits. Just be sure to clean the board thoroughly between uses to prevent any cross-contamination.

4. How often should I replace my wooden board?

The lifespan of a wooden board depends on its usage and maintenance. If you notice deep cuts or grooves on the board, it may be time to replace it. It is recommended to replace your wooden board every 1-2 years to ensure its safety and quality.

5. Can I use my wooden board as a serving platter?

Yes, wooden boards make great serving platters for cheeses, meats, and other appetizers. Just be sure to only use one side of the board for cutting and the other side for serving to prevent any potential contamination. Also, make sure to properly clean and sanitize the board before and after use as a serving platter.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
pcjulie
Replies
Views
ChefNic
  • Jill092375
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Jill092375