What to do with ham & turkey lunchmeat

Discussion in 'Recipes and Tips' started by babywings76, Oct 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. babywings76

babywings76 Gold Member

I have a lot of deli ham and turkey that needs to get used up. Anyone have a recipe that calls for it? I'm looking for a dinner recipe, maybe a casserole or something?

2. jrstephens

jrstephens

I like putting cream cheese with ranch seasoning in them and rolling them up. Then cut them in spirals.

3. jrstephens

jrstephens

I freeze lunch meat too.

4. you could get crescent rolls and spread like cranberry cream cheese on it, then the cheese and ham, roll up and bake. YUM!!

5. KristinS

KristinS

Grilled Cheese and Ham sandwiches (or turkey)

Scalloped potato and ham casserole

sorry... brain must not be working much today, that's all I can come up with.

6. jrstephens

jrstephens

Chop the meat up for chef salads. Make ham salad - look up recipe on internet for one. Make brunch squares or an omelete. Check out All the Best cookbook and use it for ring fillings.

7. etteluap70PC

etteluap70PC Gold Member

Paninis!

Or use them instead of ground beef and do the itialian hoagies from the Power cooking recipes.

Do you have any bread or pizza dough? do a baked roll up. roll out dough, spread with a bit of EVOO & pressed garlic. Lay out meat, cover with your favorite cheese, maybee add some finely sliced onions an bell pepper or whatever you loke. Roll it up put on stone seam side down. Bake at 350 for 15-20 mins YUM!

8. janetupnorth

janetupnorth Gold Member

Broccoli Ham Ring!

I also make a ham/macaroni salad a lot...basically...shells, chopped ham, hardboiled eggs, onion, mayo or Miracle Whip and a little salt/pepper to taste.

9. AnnieBee

AnnieBee Gold Member

Ham and cheese brunch squares! Yummy for dinner too, and cheaper if you use the shredded hash-browns and season them well yourself with salt and pepper (the patties are pre-seasoned but way more expensive).

10. babywings76

babywings76 Gold Member

Ooh, ahh! I have a Rhoades bread loaf, do you think that could work? Should I get it softened and then create this and let it rise and bake? I think I have the thin crust pizza dough also, maybe that would be easiest?

All your ideas are great! Also, would frozen broccoli work in a braid? If I thaw it a bit first?

11. etteluap70PC

etteluap70PC Gold Member

Yes the frozen loaf will do but it needs to totaly defrost and rise a bit so you can roll it out. you do not need to let it rise again after doing the filling. Thin pizza dough is easiest. There is a recipe in all the best (philly cheese steak roll) that I got this idea from.

frozen brocoli would be ok as long as it is thawed and chopped fine.

12. babywings76

babywings76 Gold Member

13. chefann

chefann Gold Member

mmm... I was going to suggest paninis, too. Ham and turkey on rye or sourdough, with some coarse mustard, cheese, and thinly sliced apples.

14. Kitchen Diva

Kitchen Diva Gold Member

When life hands you meat... make a Panini! :)

15. babywings76

babywings76 Gold Member

and now I even have the grill pan to be able to make it! :D Wow, now I have to plan what to make what night. I have one night where I need to practice the Spinach Carbonara pizza, then a braid sounds great, and I love the baked roll up. Thanks ladies, my meals for the rest of the week are all planned! :)

16. PamperChefCarol

PamperChefCarol

Turkey cranberry wreath... YUMMMMMMMMM

17. KellyTheChef

KellyTheChef Gold Member

I was just scrolling down to see if anyone mentioned this! This one is soooooooooooo good!

18. babywings76

babywings76 Gold Member

I thought that called for actual real chunks of turkey meat. What I have is just thin sliced deli meat. But that recipe sounds real good, I'll have to try it sometime.

19. BethCooks4U

BethCooks4U Gold Member

Get a refrigerated French bread loaf and bake it (or 2 and make the ring). Then make sub sandwiches with it.

The other thing I was going to mention was Panini's - LOVE THEM!!

20. mrssyvo

mrssyvo

I am making Turkey Cranberry Wreath for dinner tonight- Need to brush up on it, as it is my November recipe. 20% off stoneware, Hide the Turkey shows!!!

21. KellyTheChef

KellyTheChef Gold Member

I think it would be ideal with chunks of real turkey...but cutting up deli turkey would still be really good. Fillings for rings and braids are normally very "forgiving" so I am sure that substituting the deli meat would be fine!

22. dianevill

dianevill Gold Member

I just had a bunch of leftover deli meat, too, from a teacher conference in which I had to make wraps. Really quick meal - take the turkey, add gravy, and serve over mashed potatoes with a veggie on the side.

I donated a lot of ham to my neighbors...

23. babywings76

babywings76 Gold Member

I searched through my stuff and I can't find my braid recipe. I looked on CC, but couldn't find it listed where it'll actually show me the recipe, it just refers me to a cookbook. I don't own the cookbook that has the recipe. I couldn't find it in the recipes on here. I'll keep searching, but in the meantime, if anyone has it could you post it here? TIA

24. babywings76

babywings76 Gold Member

Nevermind, I found it. It's funny how I can never find recipes doing a recipe search, but have luck finding recipes through searching the files section. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.