What to do with cooked brown rice

Discussion in 'Recipes and Tips' started by susanr613, Jun 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. susanr613

susanr613 Gold Member

In order to use up some chicken broth in the fridge, I cooked a batch of brown rice...and am looking for some creative ideas on what do do with it other than serve as a plain side.

Thanks in advance!

2. susanr613

susanr613 Gold Member

Do, not do-do!

3. ChefBeckyD

ChefBeckyD Gold Member

Make Fried Rice!

VEGETABLE FRIED RICE

NGREDIENTS

* 3 cups water
    * 1 1/2 cups quick-cooking brown rice
    * 2 tablespoons peanut oil
    * 1 small yellow onion, chopped
    * 1 small green bell pepper, chopped
    * 1 teaspoon minced garlic
    * 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
    * 3 green onions, thinly sliced
    * 3 tablespoons soy sauce
    * 1 (8 ounce) can baby peas, drained
    * 2 teaspoons sesame oil
    * 1/4 cup roasted peanuts

DIRECTIONS

1. In a saucepan bring water to a boil. Stir in rice. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
    2. Meanwhile, heat peanut oil in a large skillet or wok over medium heat. Add onions, bell pepper, garlic and pepper flakes, to taste. Cook 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Increase heat to medium-high and stir in cooked rice, green onions and soy sauce. Stir-fry for 1 minute. Add peas and cook 1 minute more. Remove from heat. Add sesame oil and mix well. Garnish with peanuts, if desired.

4. ChefBeckyD

ChefBeckyD Gold Member

Here is a recipe that I've been meaning to try, but haven't yet - it looks good to me though. We love brown rice at our house!

AMAZING BROWN RICE SALAD

INGREDIENTS

* 2 cups water
    * 1 cup brown rice
    * 1/4 cup diced red onion
    * 1/2 cup diced celery
    * 1/4 cup dried cranberries
    * 1/2 cup balsamic vinaigrette salad dressing
    * 1 tablespoon sugar

DIRECTIONS

1. In a saucepan, bring water to a boil. Stir in rice, cover, and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 45 to 60 minutes, or until done.
    2. Transfer rice to a serving bowl, and stir in onion, celery, cranberries, salad dressing and sugar. Cover, refrigerate, and serve cold.

5. I add any extra rice to soups, chili, salads. You could also make rice balls...yum...I love an Italian Rice Ball....breaded, topped with Marinara sauce and mozzerella cheese.............so delish!

6. ChefBeckyD

ChefBeckyD Gold Member

Oh - and our favorite way to eat it as a simple side is to cook it chicken broth, just like you did - and then saute it with some chopped onion, mushrooms, and crushed garlic. My 4 yr old loves it this way!

7. chefann

chefann Gold Member

mmm, that sounds good.

I recently started serving brown rice at home. I was apprehensive about it because DH can be pretty picky. But he mentioned that he liked the texture and the nutty flavor. And the birds like it, too. :) But we just usually eat it plain as a side dish with a sauced entree (like General Tso's Chicken).

8. You could also stir fry some fresh veggies and kilbosa and use the rice with that. Also, I second the fried rice yum.

9. baychef

baychef Silver Member

I like to add some veggies and some low fat cheddar cheese. Guess that could be a side, however.

Or you could add some sauteed onion, garlic and parsley for colore

10. You are asking the wrong person. I hate rice. Traumatized at a young age and can't stand the stuff.

But better the brown rice than the white. Maybe rice pudding? Which, to me, sounds horrible, but some folks might like it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.