• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

What to Do With All of This Lettuce??

3. Assemble pizza and top crust with desired toppings. ...I have been receiving a box of produce from local farmers every week. It's got great stuff in it each week,....a few things I've never cooked (Collards!) but I'm really getting alot of lettuce (tis the season)....I've got a big bag of green lettuce from last week, a head of romaine from last week plus one this week, and two heads of Red Lettuce again this week. But I'm really getting alot of lettuce (tis the season)....I've got a big bag of green lettuce from last week, a head of romaine from last week plus one this week,
esavvymom
Staff member
I have been receiving a box of produce from local farmers every week. It's got great stuff in it each week,....a few things I've never cooked (Collards!)

But I'm really getting alot of lettuce (tis the season)....I've got a big bag of green lettuce from last week, a head of romaine from last week plus one this week, and two heads of Red Lettuce again this week.

WHAT can I do with it all?

Do you have some favorite salad recipes or other ways you use it?
Thought I'd ask a group of "chefs" for ideas. :) We've just been doing basic salads alot, and sandwiches/wraps. But I like different salads, esp. with fruit.

And any tips on how to cook/great recipe (not too fattening!) for Collards??

what about wilted lettuce where the dressing is made with warm bacon grease drippings
I put strawberries and blue berries in a salad with a raspberry viniagrette cut up boiled eggs and add toasted pecans and cucumberswe eat salad nearly every day so it would be gone here :)

Taco Salad is my favorite. Brown hamburger, season it with Southwestern seasoning. Add a can of drained kidney beans. Cook till beans soften. Serve with tomatoes, cheddar cheese, bell pepper, salsa, shredded carrots, and top it with Fritos and Ranch dressing. :D

I love fruit in my salads- so love the suggestion Teresa. We probably wouldn't do the bacon dressing- because I don't usually buy pork bacon..so my turkey bacon has no drippings...but it does give me the idea of bacon ON the salad. Definitely the fruit and nuts and eggs! We love raspberry vinaigrette, too.Love the idea of a taco salad Amanda! I haven't made one of those in a long time!
Ok...that gets me a few days of ideas. :) We were able to scarf through about half of a head of the red-lettuce. I still have one large romaine, and one big bag of green leaf lettuce. But I have faith! ;)

Make up some Lettuce Wraps! Grill some chicken and cut it up in small pieces, and then fix up whatever fillings you want. Use full pieces of the romaine and wrap everything in it like you were wrapping it in a quesadilla. YUM!!

babywings76 said:
Taco Salad is my favorite. Brown hamburger, season it with Southwestern seasoning. Add a can of drained kidney beans. Cook till beans soften. Serve with tomatoes, cheddar cheese, bell pepper, salsa, shredded carrots, and top it with Fritos and Ranch dressing. :D

This isn't something that I do at home but when we go to one of the local pizza places I usually get a taco salad. And instead of using dressing I just use salsa as my dressing. Saves some calories too.

Have friends over for a salad party....you provide the lettuce, your friends provide the salad fixings! Use your salad spinner, your MFP, your food chopper to prepare the feasts.

I forgot to type we add feta cheese too to the "fruit" salad and chopped red onion. sounds weird bt it is our favorite in facy probably will be dinner tonight.How about ceasar salad with the romainePC had a recipe i used to do with romaine, cooked pasta and ranch or italian dressing.... Maybe the colossal chopped salad?

There was a PC recipe for a Chicken Ceasar Salad pizza. I don't remember what book it was in. But it was SO GOOD!

chefheidi2003 said:
There was a PC recipe for a Chicken Ceasar Salad pizza. I don't remember what book it was in. But it was SO GOOD!

oooohhhh...that sounds good. I'll look for that.

SB SS 2000

Italian Salad Pizza

This flavorul pizza, topped with fresh salad ingredients, is best when served immediately.

CRUST:
1 pkg (10 oz) refrigerated pizza crust
2 garlic cloves, pressed
½ tsp dried oregano leaves
¼ tsp dried basil leaves
4 oz part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded (1 cup)
1 oz fresh Parmesan cheese, grated, divided (¼ cup)

SALAD TOPPING:
5 cups romaine lettuce, thinly sliced
1 med tomato, chopped
¼ cup pitted ripe olives, sliced
½ cup red onion, thinly sliced
¼ cup fat-free Italian salad dressing

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. For crust, roll out dough to edge of 15" Round Baking Stone using lightly foured Dough and Pizza Roller. Press garlic over dough using Garlic Press; spread with Skinny Scraper. Sprinkle dough with herbs. Bake on bottom oven rack 12-14 minutes or until crust is golden brown.

2. While crust is baking, prepare toppings. Shred mozzarella cheese and grate Parmesan cheese with Deluxe Cheese Grater. Slice lettuce and chop tomato using 5" Utility Knife. Slice olives with Egg Slicer Plus. Thinly slice red onion with adjustable blade of Ultimate Slice & Grate. Place lettuce, tomato, olives and red onion in Classsic 2-Qt Batter Bowl. Add dressing; toss to coat.

3. Remove crust from oven to Nonstick Cooling Rack. Immediately top with mozzarella cheese, half of the Parmesan cheese and salad mixture. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese. Cut with Pizza Cutter; serve warm using Mini-Serving Spatula.

Yield: 8 Servings

Light Nutrients per serving: Calories 160, Fat 5g, Sodium 250mg, Dietary Fiber 2g

What about the Cheeseburger salad or the greek chicken stir fry salad from 4-5 years back. That is one of my favs with creamy garlic ranch dressing, zuccini, tomatoes and black olives....lots of romaine in that one. I love the thai lettuce wraps also.

chefheidi2003 said:

It was in the It's Good For You cookbook - one of my favs!!

You can make green smoothies! Break the romaine in half, put in blender with a little milk and/or juice, strawberries, mangoes, pineapple, banana; any fruit you want! You have a healthy smoothie! I use kale, spinach, or romaine in mine, but you can use anything with a green leaf!

wadesgirl said:
It was in the It's Good For You cookbook - one of my favs!!

Thank you. I thought that that was the book it was in but was not 100% sure. So I didn't want to give wrong info. Thank you for responding.

You can make green smoothies! Break the romaine in half, put in blender with a little milk and/or juice, strawberries, mangoes, pineapple, banana; any fruit you want! You have a healthy smoothie! I use kale, spinach, or romaine in mine, but you can use anything with a green leaf!

Do you use any sweetner? Agave? I need to eat better and I guess that I don't have good recipes to use to make green smoothies.

Do you have a recipe book that you use to make your smoothies from? If so, could you please share the name with me.:angel:

Thanks!!!!

PS My lettuce should be coming in soon from my garden.:love:

Curlyone said:
Do you use any sweetner? Agave? I need to eat better and I guess that I don't have good recipes to use to make green smoothies.

Do you have a recipe book that you use to make your smoothies from? If so, could you please share the name with me.:angel:

Thanks!!!!

PS My lettuce should be coming in soon from my garden.:love:

I don't use a recipe book; I'm sorry. I just throw in whatever I feel like eating. The healthier greens to use are kale, spinach, and romaine. I also throw in some plain greek yougurt. I don't use sweeteners because the fruit gives it plenty of sweetness. I also throw in some ground flax seed (if I'm the only one eating it; it can be hard on digestive systems if you're not used to it). I know you can google "green smoothies" and you'll get many different variations!! ENJOY!!

1. How do I keep my lettuce fresh?

To keep your lettuce fresh, store it in an airtight container or bag in the refrigerator. You can also wrap the lettuce in a damp paper towel before storing to help keep it crisp.

2. How can I use lettuce besides in salads?

Lettuce can be used in a variety of dishes besides salads. You can use it as a healthy wrap for sandwiches or tacos, add it to soups and stews, or use it as a topping for burgers and sandwiches.

3. How do I clean and prepare lettuce?

To clean lettuce, separate the leaves and rinse them under cold water. Then, pat them dry with a paper towel or spin them in a salad spinner. To prepare the lettuce for salads or other dishes, tear or chop the leaves into bite-sized pieces.

4. Can I freeze lettuce?

It is not recommended to freeze lettuce as it can become mushy and lose its crispness. It is best to use fresh lettuce for salads or other dishes.

5. How long does lettuce last in the fridge?

Fresh lettuce can last up to a week in the refrigerator if stored properly. However, it is best to use it within a few days for optimal freshness and taste.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• janetupnorth
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
pampermejolene
  • cwinter474
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
raebates
Replies