Uncle Ben's in Rice Cooker

Discussion in 'Recipes and Tips' started by winklermom, Jan 24, 2011.

1. winklermom

winklermom

Can anyone tell me how to cook Uncle Ben's in the Rice cooker? I've got the kind that it says to cook on the stovetop for 25 minutes or in the microwave it would be 5 minutes on high, then 15-20 minutes on medium. I'm not sure if there is a difference in using the rice cooker or not. Any suggestions are appreciated.

2. yankfan24

yankfan24 Gold Member

If it's just long-cooking rice, then we just do ratio 1:2 (rice:water) and cook on high for 15 mintues. We used to do the 5 then 15...but it works every time doing just 15 minutes straight up. (time might depend on your microwave)

3. winklermom

winklermom

Thanks so much! I appreciate the prompt reply.

4. lesliec

lesliec

Does anyone know about plain brown rice? I threw the pkg away and have it in a pretty jar. I usually do 1C of rice and 2 1/4C of water on the stove for about 50 min, but wanted to try the Rice Cooker.

5. lt1jane

lt1jane Gold Member

I use the same ratio in the rice cooker that I do on the stovetop. I would start there with the brown rice too.

6. lesliec

lesliec

Thanks.

How long would you cook it for?

7. ilovpc

ilovpc Gold Member

I used my rice cooker for the first time yesterday with brown rice (regular), but did not cooked all the way. Does anyone done this before? How long do you cook it for and do you use the lid?
    Rice cooker directions said to follow rice package directions and there it says to cook covered for 10 minutes and then uncovered and cook for 20 minutes. I did this and did not worked.

Any tips?

Thanks,

8. pchockeymom

pchockeymom

I have never taken the lid off the rice cooker! Brown rice always takes longer, and needs more water than the 2-1 ratio used for white rice. But, it does work. I would do 1 cup rice to 2 1/4 cups water, cook on high 10 minutes then 50% for 15. Should come out fiine.