• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Trouble Thickly Slicing Carrots with an Ultimate Mandoline?

In summary, when experiencing unevenly sliced carrots while using a mandoline, make sure to adjust the blade setting and pressure, as well as secure the carrot in place. To prevent carrots from getting stuck, ensure the blade is sharp and clean and use a gentle sawing motion. The mandoline can also be used to slice other vegetables, but adjust the blade setting accordingly. While it is safer to use the hand guard, experienced users can use the mandoline without it. After use, the mandoline should be disassembled and washed with warm soapy water, and the blades can be cleaned with a brush or toothpick.
Spatch
Has anyone had trouble with the straight blade of the ultimate mandoline not cutting very thick even when it is on the thickest setting. Alot of people around here (northern minnesota) are getting their final carrots out of their gardens and canning them. I have had some frustrated customers who are just getting "paper thin" carrots. Any suggestions?

Uh, I'm no help there - I've used the Mandolin a lot and never realized it had an adjustment for the straight blade????I'd better get that out tonight!!!! LOL!

Last edited:
I have noticed that the adjustment really doesn't make much of a difference. I think it should adjust more...probably to the thickness that you are wanting!

I really think it's between (1)thin and (2)paper thin...LOL

A little more pressure may help, since the "floor" is a bit flexible.

KellyTheChef said:
I really think it's between (1)thin and (2)paper thin...LOL

Me too. I have never thought the "thick" was what I consider thick.

I do agree .....thin and paper thin. I wish they would come out with a thicker slice option for the UM.

I thought that's what the v-shaped blade was for. Of course, sometimes I'd like to have something between the slicing blade and the v-shaped blade.

This might seem silly, but you might want to make sure that they have the food guide properly in its track. I have run into two customers in the past month that didn't have it on right and the blade wasn't popping up for them. So basically what they were getting was shaved pieces from just the pressure of them pushing on it - the blade wasn't engaging at all.

Now that would be thin!

1. Why are my carrots coming out unevenly sliced?

There could be a few reasons for this. Make sure you are using the correct blade setting for the thickness you desire. Also, try adjusting the pressure you are applying while slicing and make sure the carrot is securely held in place on the mandoline.

2. How do I prevent the carrots from getting stuck in the blades?

To prevent this, make sure the blade is sharp and clean before use. It is also helpful to use a gentle sawing motion when slicing and to not push the carrot too hard against the blade.

3. Can I use the mandoline to slice other vegetables besides carrots?

Yes, the mandoline can be used to slice a variety of vegetables such as cucumbers, zucchini, and potatoes. Just make sure to adjust the blade setting accordingly.

4. Is it safe to use the mandoline without the hand guard?

We highly recommend using the hand guard for safety purposes. However, if you are comfortable and experienced with using the mandoline, you can use it without the hand guard, but with caution.

5. How should I clean the mandoline after use?

The mandoline should be disassembled and washed with warm soapy water after each use. Make sure to dry it thoroughly before storing to prevent rusting. The blades can also be cleaned with a small brush or toothpick to remove any food particles.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• jross93
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
jross93
Replies
Views
ChefBeckyD
  • koima
  • Products and Tips
Replies