• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Truffles or Trifles: The Debate Over Bowl Names

In summary, the conversation is about how people do not know what a truffle or trifle is and how it drives the speakers crazy. The speaker explains that a truffle is a small chocolate candy or a fancy mushroom and a trifle is a layered dessert. The speaker then gives an example of a dessert, which is a Chocolate Truffle Trifle. The speakers discuss how people sometimes call it a Trifle Bowl instead of a Truffle Bowl and the speaker gives a example of
leftymac
This drives me crazy.....

I don't have a speech impediment, in fact, I like to think I speak quite eloquently (even if I do have a slight southern twang) and pronounce things correctly. But WHY OH WHY OH WHY do my hosts/guests call it a TRUFFLE BOWL and not a Trifle Bowl? Even in writing they do it!!

Can't say I know what to tell ya. I cringe when I see people spell it "triffle."

I'm with you!! When they say "truffle bowl" I immediately start thinking chocolate candies or little piggies foraging in forests.

You know, that gives me a good idea for a chocolate truffle trifle.

As I am making my TRIFLE.. I always say... Now there is a difference between a Trifle and a Truffle. A truffle is a small chocolate candy or a fancy mushroom.. a TRIFLE is a layered dessert.

Some people just don't know! And I'm always looking to teach my customers something new at a show. It is a pet peeve of mine, also though :)

Hehehe, a Chocolate Truffle Trifle! Now THAT would confuse them! Love it!

chefcharity said:
As I am making my TRIFLE.. I always say... Now there is a difference between a Trifle and a Truffle. A truffle is a small chocolate candy or a fancy mushroom.. a TRIFLE is a layered dessert.

Some people just don't know! And I'm always looking to teach my customers something new at a show. It is a pet peeve of mine, also though :)

Hehehe, a Chocolate Truffle Trifle! Now THAT would confuse them! Love it!

But even if I didn't know what a truffle or a trifle was, if I heard someone call it "Trifle", I'd be repeating that and not making up my own pronunciation!

leftymac said:
But even if I didn't know what a truffle or a trifle was, if I heard someone call it "Trifle", I'd be repeating that and not making up my own pronunciation!

Well, maybe they think you don't know what you're talking about... :grumpy:

NooraK said:

That's their problem! They've refused to recognize me as the source of culinary authority.

NooraK said:

That is what I find... until they hear the explanation they think it is their way :)

leftymac said:
This drives me crazy.....

I don't have a speech impediment, in fact, I like to think I speak quite eloquently (even if I do have a slight southern twang) and pronounce things correctly. But WHY OH WHY OH WHY do my hosts/guests call it a TRUFFLE BOWL and not a Trifle Bowl? Even in writing they do it!!

OMG - it drives me crazy too! I thought it was just around here that they did that. Too funny!

leftymac said:
That's their problem! They've refused to recognize me as the source of culinary authority.

Perhaps its the hot curlers in your hair and bedazzled wedgies that drag your image down to "fast food" patron?

RMDave said:
Perhaps its the hot curlers in your hair and bedazzled wedgies that drag your image down to "fast food" patron?

But I modeled that look after you!

leftymac said:
But I modeled that look after you!

I realize that and appreciate the compliment, but you're just a copy of an original and the fans recognize that.

RMDave said:
I realize that and appreciate the compliment, but you're just a copy of an original and the fans recognize that.

I'm just the newer model, and everyone loves to replace old things with new.

leftymac said:
I'm just the newer model, and everyone loves to replace old things with new.

LOLOLOLOL

Yes, I've noticed how well the new Toyota models have been doing. Yep. You must be correct.

you two have me in stitches!! ya'll are too funny.
Keith - this has me literally laughing out loud, b/c it drives me insane as well, and I don't get it at all.
Charity - I love your explanation, I bet addressing it that way does help with clarification.

pampcheflisa said:
you two have me in stitches!! ya'll are too funny.
Keith - this has me literally laughing out loud, b/c it drives me insane as well, and I don't get it at all.
Charity - I love your explanation, I bet addressing it that way does help with clarification.

Glad you liked it! I started it because I emailed a host asking if she wanted to do the Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup TRIFLE for dessert and she responds, "Great! Plus, it'll show off the Truffle Bowl!"

I suppose that's along the same vein as people who respond to emails I send and address me as Nora. Not only is my name in my signature, but it is a part of my email address as well. As if I don't know how to spell it right...

People don't listen or read. They just don't. Those of us who do are a small minority. I've given up trying to correct people when they mispronounce or misspell things.

raebates said:
People don't listen or read. They just don't. Those of us who do are a small minority. I've given up trying to correct people when they mispronounce or misspell things.

Exactly. It's like my dad who stills calls them Soo Doo Koo puzzles. We've corrected him a million times and he solves them ALL the time, you'd think he'd get it right by now. And the whole SanTOkU vs. SanTUkO knife thing. :cool:

raebates said:

True - so true.

However, can I just mention my other pet peeve besides the whole Trifle/Truffle deal?

When people are hesitant about something and they say they are weary of it.

DRIVES ME CRAZY!

Weary means you're tired.

WARY means you have hesitation...unless they mean that they are LEERY of it...which would mean being cautious of it.

Okay, whoosh - glad I got that off my chest.:eek:

ChefBeckyD said:
True - so true.However, can I just mention my other pet peeve besides the whole Trifle/Truffle deal?When people are hesitant about something and they say they are weary of it. DRIVES ME CRAZY!Weary means you're tired.WARY means you have hesitation...unless they mean that they are LEERY of it...which would mean being cautious of it.Okay, whoosh - glad I got that off my chest.:eek:
Oh my gosh, Becky--I was just thinking of this today! I know, I see people do that a lot and try so hard to resist the urge to correct them. :D :angel:

Well, irregardless....

Sorry, just had to put that out there, that's one that makes a few of my friends INSANE! LOL

Ya know...."I could care less" about this thread. ;)

You care about it, Keith .. you know you do. You're off thinking about it right now.

ok, i'm new here, so i hope i'm not stepping on toes....

there, their, and they're...... when i was a teacher my second grade class would edit our local newspaper on this. i have a friend who is a teacher and she always messes this up in her facebook posts. really.

My pet peave is putting the ' in front of all s. Like cat's or dog's or you get the picture. Where did this ever make sense? As a fourth grade teacher, I have to reset their minds to understanding this isn't correct. I'm like Monk, I want to change all the signs in town or let them know when they have made this mistake. "Breakfast's only $3.00" Ugggh. It drives me nuts!

lesliec said:
ok, i'm new here, so i hope i'm not stepping on toes....

there, their, and they're...... when i was a teacher my second grade class would edit our local newspaper on this. i have a friend who is a teacher and she always messes this up in her facebook posts. really.

Yes, my son's teacher sent home a note with "there" instead of "their"(In 2 places!)....I had to think hard, and restrain myself from sending it back to her marked in red ink.

Ooo! Ooo!, I have pet peeve (actually, I have so many, I can hardly call them 'pets') -"I hope my team won't loose the game, tonight." Really, is it possible the game will become partially detached from its setting?

The people that say "TRUFFLE" are the same people that say PUNkin for puMPkin (that makes me grind my teeth) and then they later say..Can I Axe (aks) you a question? I reply with "No but you ask ASK me a question" (yes I do say that b/c it drives me so insane). And for the people of Boston - it is an idea that you have, not an idear...no "R" people! And you don't put clothes in a dresser draw - its a drawer (like drore that rhymes with bore).

I live in a part of NE Pennsylvania that thinks they have their own language. There's even clips on youtube about it - Haynabonics ... Where they say "a couple two tree things like, d'jeet yet? no jew? no but i gotta go up da eynon to da ack-a-me and then stop at the 'beer garden' (beer store) before i go to the corpse house (funeral home) where so and so is 'laid out' (how morbid that sounds). But I gotta get a shirt with buh-huns first. Hayna or no?" And yes - that is from Scranton - home of 'The Office'.

Ok I'll shush...

Somewhat off the original topic but people of the world please don't say "NU-kul-ar" when it is "nu-CLE-ar". Sigh!

lockhartkitchen said:
My pet peave is putting the ' in front of all s. Like cat's or dog's or you get the picture. Where did this ever make sense? As a fourth grade teacher, I have to reset their minds to understanding this isn't correct. I'm like Monk, I want to change all the signs in town or let them know when they have made this mistake. "Breakfast's only $3.00" Ugggh. It drives me nuts!

You need to read the book Eats, Shoots, and Leaves. It's great and comes with a correction kit so you can correct the signs you see in your community. :D

You might also enjoy the website The “Blog” of “Unnecessary” Quotation Marks.

Dotty said:

Say that 3 times fast!!!

Have you come up with a recipe yet??

Dotty said:

I was thinking TRIPLE TRUFFLE TRIFLE!

One that drives me INSANE, especially on FB, is that people cannot spell definitely.
So many people put an A in it somewhere and it makes me crazy!!.
It's not even that hard, just put an 'ly' at the end of DEFINITE.
okay, I feel better now and sorry if I offended anyone :eek:

pampchefsarah said:
Ooo! Ooo!, I have pet peeve (actually, I have so many, I can hardly call them 'pets') -

"I hope my team won't loose the game, tonight." Really, is it possible the game will become partially detached from its setting?

Too funny Sarah! That is a huge pet peeve of mine. I mean, seriously, lose vs. loose - that is such a basic word - I'm surprised by the amount of people who use loose instead of lose.

Something I'm seeing more often is people who can't (or just dont' want to) spell "probably" correctly, and just write "prolly." :eek:

NooraK said:
Something I'm seeing more often is people who can't (or just dont' want to) spell "probably" correctly, and just write "prolly." :eek:

It's the curse of text messaging. I'll never be able to text message, because apparently it involves purposely misspelling words. I can't bring myself to do it.

The turn this thread has taken is making me laugh.

I was a church secretary for years. I didn't create the screens for the songs, but everyone assumed I did. One song in particular used the word grateful several times. A couple of people came to me on more than one occasion to tell me that grateful was misspelled. It wasn't, so I didn't worry about it. Finally the pastor came to me and told me to let my friend who did the screens know that grateful was misspelled on this particular song, and it was driving his wife crazy. I told him it wasn't misspelled. he said, "Yes it is. Grateful is spelled g-r-e-a-t-f-u-l."

I said, "No, it isn't. Grateful does not come from the word great. It comes from gratitude." He was shocked.

Still makes me chuckle.

OK... now I have a host calling it the Trivet Bowl! LOL!

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• sarahmarie
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
yummy4tummy
  • thehaleykitchen
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
Grandmarita
  • cookingmommy