• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

toGame or Not to Game...that Is the Question

In summary, the Stealing Hearts game is a game where guests get tickets for shouting out that they have and love a product, or that they love it and are buying it. The Got it/Love it game is where guests get a ticket for shouting out that they have and love a product, or that they love it and are buying it. The on the back game is where guests turn over their door prize slip and the first to write down 5 questions about becoming a consultant wins a prize.
Jennie50
So, I've only done four cooking shows so far, and am still developing how I do things. I have five more coming up this month, and want to make them FUN so that they'll turn into a lot of bookings!

What do you guys do to keep the show going, the people interacting, etc? Do you do games? If so, which work well for you? I've been to parties in the past that do the Left, Right things and other similar games (the consultant reads a narrative and makes the guests do stuff), and I don't personally find them particularly fun. Anyone have anything more engaging that introduces the product at the same time? I have this vague idea of doing something with their "Chef-onalities"...they demo a product they love using the voice of a celebrity chef who represents their style of cooking (ex. Paula Deen - southern comfort food; Bobby Flay -grilling; etc) ...but haven't worked it all out yet. I also don't want to assume that the guests will know all of these chefs. Thoughts on this?

I think I read a thread a while ago where someone mentioned a game similar to the Apples to Apples board game. Anyone have details? I tried to do a search and look in the files and couldn't find anything.

Thanks for your help!

My hospitality director recently told me to do the Stealing Hearts game so I tried it at my last two shows and it was a huge hit!

So, do tell. What is the Stealing Hearts game?

Teresa LM said:
So, do tell. What is the Stealing Hearts game?
Stealing Hearts Game - YouTubeShe shows a way to do this....this consultant doesn't expound on her answers much- but I think this is a group of consultants, not actual customers. But you get the idea. It is a lot more fun than what it looks like on this particular video though. ;) There may be a few others out there.

Thanks! I appreciate the help.

honestly I am not a big fan of games, I find them annoying when I am at a party and kind of embarrassing when I am presenting at one. However, I have just started doing the "Got it/Love it" game, where folks get a ticket (I use colorful pieces of pasta) for shouting out that they have and love a product, or that they love it and are buying it. I even put in a place for shouting love it and am going to HOST to get it! They get two pieces of pasta! The one with the most wins a prize. I have the host be my pasta passer-outer....

I created a PC version of Apples to Apples about 2 years ago and it is a big hit with most of my hosts. I used Pampered Chef decks of cards and the 10 per page labels to make the game. One set of labels has Pampered Chef products with some information about the product on it and the other set has food items. The guest get the product cards and then need to match their products to the food items. The notes on the product cards are the key things I want to mention.

I also offer a walk through the catalog show for hosts that do not want the game.

I do a battle of the products. for example:
I want to show that our cookware evenly distributes the heat (it will also distribute cold) and I want to show that the ice cream dipper will scoop even when the ice cream comes right out of the deep freeze. So I have 2 volunteers "melt" the ice with these 2 products. Of course they both get a small prize, but it demonstrates what I wanted in a competitive manner and guests love it. I do the same thing with the simple slicer and mandoline, the food chopper and food processor.I also have a "fresh ingredient" challenge where each guest gets a cookbook and the first to find a recipe with a fresh ingredient (herbs, veggies, etc.) wins.My favorite is the "on the back game." I have guests turn over their door prize slip and the first to write down 5 questions about becoming a consultant wins a prize. Then I answer the questions with brief answers. Someone in the audience is always thinking about it, they are just "afraid" to ask.

angel7581 said:
I created a PC version of Apples to Apples about 2 years ago and it is a big hit with most of my hosts. I used Pampered Chef decks of cards and the 10 per page labels to make the game. One set of labels has Pampered Chef products with some information about the product on it and the other set has food items. The guest get the product cards and then need to match their products to the food items. The notes on the product cards are the key things I want to mention.

I also offer a walk through the catalog show for hosts that do not want the game.

Angel, could you tell me a bit more about the Apples to Apples game? I've never played the actual game, so I'm not sure how you facilitate play. The guests get the product cards, but how do they go about matching to the food items? When do you talk about the products? As the games is going on?

How does the "walk through the catalog show" look for you? You just literally go page by page? Category by category? How do you keep folks engaged?

Thanks for your thoughts!

grgann said:
honestly I am not a big fan of games, I find them annoying when I am at a party and kind of embarrassing when I am presenting at one. However, I have just started doing the "Got it/Love it" game, where folks get a ticket (I use colorful pieces of pasta) for shouting out that they have and love a product, or that they love it and are buying it. I even put in a place for shouting love it and am going to HOST to get it! They get two pieces of pasta! The one with the most wins a prize. I have the host be my pasta passer-outer....

What is the order of your show? When do you do the Got It/Love It game? Throughout the whole show? During the demo? After you've discussed the host benefits?

I often feel party games are hokey too, but I think that's cuz I've yet to find one that I personally find fun...I'm for anything that gets people laughing and interacting! I think the Got It/Love It thing is something most crowds wouldn't mind...thanks for sharing!

Queen of Shoppers is a fun one that people can choose to play or not play....and it is a good ice breaker, plus it gives me a chance to touch on a lot of products I don't normally bring.

I rotate between the purse game, the left right game & the ticket activity. Everyone loves the purse game and it touches on lots of subjects like hosting, recruiting and even our round up program.

Attachments

• Purse Game without referral program.doc
    31.5 KB · Views: 797
raebates said:
My show is interactive. It's changed a little since this thread, but not a lot. My show type isn't for everyone, but maybe you'll get some ideas for your own shows.

http://www.chefsuccess.com/f12/questions-rae-about-your-show-16925/?highlight=Questions+for+Rae

Thanks so much for pointing me to that thread, Rae! I really appreciate the outline, and I feel as though I would feel comfortable with a format like this one. I'm not sure I would have arrived at dropping the demo entirely, but part of the reason I asked about the flow of the show, was that my first 4 shows...well, didn't really flow. It felt disorganized, bouncing back 'n forth between the kitchen and living room, I never had everyone's attention during the demo, anyway, as some people were holding side conversations, others chose to flip through the catalog, rather that join in the kitchen activities, etc. I'm kind of a control freak, so I like the fact that I get to maintain more control..."eyes on me," and all that.

So, what have changes have you made since the original thread? Come to any new revelations in the past four years? ☺

Also, the "negativity police" thing...what do you instruct them to "buzz" on? Being negative about PC products? I've had a couple of people say things like, "I used to have the Kitchen Spritzer, but it clogged easily and didn't work the way it should." By encouraging the buzzing of these kinds of comments, I don't want people to think that I feel the need to hide product design flaws or something...that feels disingenuine to me. I was thinking of just appointing a policeman (woman) to keep us on track...buzzing people talking when I'm talking, etc, but am afraid that this could degrade if guests didn't like someone buzzing at them (the only thing I can think of that I have on-hand right now is the buzzer from the Taboo game...and it IS an annoying lil' sound).

What "commercials" do you do now? Still workin' for you?

Jennie, so the order goes as such:
I welcome folks, tell who I am, a little about PC, etc. I go around ask for folks names and their fav PC product, then I thank the host and give them their gift. Then I go through my "book" talking about host/guest specials and send that around the room. Then I pull out my pasta bowl (I use the new 1 1/2 cup glass square with the plastic top) and explain that as I use or talk about a product folks can get pasta by being the first to say "got it-love it", "love it- gettin' it", or "want it-gonna host to get it". I then ask the host to be in charge of passing out the pasta as folks earn it.
If the show or game is slow I make fun of it by holding up an item for an oddly long period of time before explaining it, etc. I try to make a little fun of myself and the game too if the crowd clearly finds it hokey. Mostly folks love to win something so usually folks get into it. Once the recipe is wrapped up I generally pass out door prize slips, explain what "round up from the heart" means and then identify the winner of the game. For me the trick is not taking it too seriously or expecting the crowd to, and just rolling with it.

I start with introductions, then tell my story. I then ask the host if they can recall all the gifts they are receiving. Usually they cannot. I remind them of any gifts I am giving them and then follow with the booking slide for the gifts that PC is giving them. Lead into host special and guest special. Explain packet and RUFTH. I end every show with the recruiting slide, prizes, an invitation to eat, and explaining where I will be collecting orders.That much of my show is consistently the same. What changes is the middle.The walk through the catalog, I focus on cookware, knives, stoneware, SA, and the host special for the month I am trying to book. I mention the trifle bowl because they cant miss the beautiful trifle that is right in front of their eyes tempting them to eat it!orWe play the game! I like this one because it takes a lot of the pressure off me. Each guest gets 7 of the product cards I have created. I then draw a food card. Every guest submits one of their product cards that can best be used to make the food item listed on the food card. I then read aloud what was submitted, explaining some of the products as we go. I do not explain every product, but I do make sure to explain all the ones that I do in the walk through the catalog. I pick the best card and that person gets the food card. Whoever has the most food cards at the end, wins.

You're welcome, Jennie.I don't do commercials anymore, but use the slides. I also ask the host why she decided to host a party.I only do the cheerleader and negativity cop when there's a large crowd. I tell the negativity cop that "I don't really like that product" isn't negativity. That's a problem that needs to be corrected. "That's a piece of crap" would be negative.

Here's the info that I have about the Stealing Hearts game (received from my Director)

might help if i attach the document :yuck:

Attachments

• StealingHeartsTicketGame.doc
    26 KB · Views: 723
You just use regular playing cards. The suit of Hearts and the suit of Spades.
If it's a big crowd (more than 5) I use the joker cards to (I just put one in with the hearts, and one in with the spades)Remember to make sure that they know they can't win a prize unless they have at least one card!I played this for the first time at the 3 shows I did this weekend and at all three it was a BIG success! Everyone LOVED it! I'm not sure it got me any solid leads but it got us all talking about the business and it got some wheels turning in their minds.

raebates said:
You're welcome, Jennie.

I don't do commercials anymore, but use the slides. I also ask the host why she decided to host a party.

I only do the cheerleader and negativity cop when there's a large crowd. I tell the negativity cop that "I don't really like that product" isn't negativity. That's a problem that needs to be corrected. "That's a piece of crap" would be negative.

Thanks again for your outline, Rae! I employed some elements from it in my show last night, and I liked many of them. My show went a lil' awry because I let another PC consultant in attendance get me flustered (link to a thread with more details on that below).
http://www.chefsuccess.com/f3/another-pc-consultant-tried-hijack-my-show-71589/#post827110

I really liked the Got it/Love it game, though, and will consider the no-demo thing in the future. I wasn't really comfortable with the idea of commercials initially...I couldn't see myself really going over-the-top with them, which is how I envisioned them being successful. Interesting that you no longer do them...do you find the slides cover the info better than the commercials? Have you lost some of the humor aspect, though?

While informative, the walk through the catalog ran REALLY long. This is, in large part, due to the constant interjections from the consultant-guest, I think, but I could sense that I was losing them near the end of the catalog. Ways to keep them engaged, other than the game?

I just use regular playing cards, but only the Hearts & Spades (26 cards in total)

I have been doing the stealing hearts game for a few months now and everyone loves it. I haven't watched the youtube video for a bit but I use 21 cards 13 hearts and 4 spades and 4 clubs taken from a regular deck and of course I have the diamonds.
Everyone gets excited that they have a bag and only a few people really don't want to steal from someone and at the end I say well Lets make a deal keep you prize (I use 1 free shipping, 1 your choice of the items in my bag $5 value or thanks for playing) or trade it in for a party this month or next and I will give you an extra $15 free at your closing.
I always give the thanks for playing person something from my treasure chest which I keep pairing knives twix clips scrapers etc in I don't want anyone to go away sad and I tell them to take a few minutes to think about but they have to decide before they peek

For those that play Stealing Hearts, do you always use bags? Do you recycle them, or just use inexpensive ones (like lunch bags)?

I plan on starting to play this game at tonight's show (I usually do the 5 questions on the DPDS game), but realized I don't have any bags here.

Oh, and is there a purpose to having one of the bags look different? or is it just to "trick" the guests?

You can do it with wrapped gifts or even envelopes. Yes, the diierent one is to add excitement and make them want it.

Great! Thanks Beth. I do have some padded envelopes that I will use for today.

I have some boxes that look like Chinese food take out containers. I got them at a party warehouse for about 50 cents a piece. I put the 3 small gifts and a recipe card in each of them for the Stealing Hearts game. I explain during the start of the game that the guests can't open the boxes until the game is over and that they get to keep the gift, but not the box. Therefore, I can use them over and over again. Not bad investment for $1.50!!! Plus, they are hot pink and very cute!!

I use pretty lunch bag sized bags I get at Michaels. I'll print off a 40% off coupon, then a set of 12 costs about $3.00. I use pink, blue, and yellow bags, fold top down and tape shut. I put a recipe card in each, a twixit clip in each and then 1 more twixit in one, 1 citrus peeler in one, and 1 scraper in one. Guests just LOVE this game!

ShelbyMichalek said:
You just use regular playing cards. The suit of Hearts and the suit of Spades.
If it's a big crowd (more than 5) I use the joker cards to (I just put one in with the hearts, and one in with the spades)

Remember to make sure that they know they can't win a prize unless they have at least one card!

I played this for the first time at the 3 shows I did this weekend and at all three it was a BIG success! Everyone LOVED it! I'm not sure it got me any solid leads but it got us all talking about the business and it got some wheels turning in their minds.

Just out of curiosity - has anyone ever had a negative response to using a deck of cards? The only reason I ask is because I knew an extremely religious older woman once who was completely appalled by anything that had anything to do with playing cards - they represented gambiling and evil to her. Maybe a strange question, but just thought I'd ask! :)

Pampered Angel said:
Just out of curiosity - has anyone ever had a negative response to using a deck of cards? The only reason I ask is because I knew an extremely religious older woman once who was completely appalled by anything that had anything to do with playing cards - they represented gambiling and evil to her. Maybe a strange question, but just thought I'd ask! :)

Ha! Ha! I bet bingo cards would be okay! lol
I don't know what religion doesn't play cards. I'm Catholic and we play cards. I don't think it's a bad thing :)

Ha! Ha! I bet bingo cards would be okay! lol
I don't know what religion doesn't play cards. I'm Catholic and we play cards. I don't think it's a bad thing :)
I agree! But there are some religions that are much "stricter" than us Catholics :D

As far as using gift bags, if you politely ask if you can have the bags back, you don't have to worry about it. Something like, "Now we're done, open up your bag and enjoy your gift! If you don't mind leaving the bag so I can recycle it that would be great!"

I use the 99c gift bags at Target. They're super cute and cheap!

Pampered Angel said:

If she is THAT strict aboutit, any game would like rub her wrong because it represents gambling.....in some form.

I wouldnt get hungup on what one person out of a thousand does. You cant please everyone all of the time. And they do not have to play!

Just out of curiosity - has anyone ever had a negative response to using a deck of cards? The only reason I ask is because I knew an extremely religious older woman once who was completely appalled by anything that had anything to do with playing cards - they represented gambiling and evil to her. Maybe a strange question, but just thought I'd ask!
There are many more conservative denominations/faiths in our area. I've had hosts ask if I use cards in my parties because they don't allow playing cards in their home and have heard that some consultants for different companies use them. They have no issues with other types of games and drawings I've done. So, it wouldn't hurt to have a game in reserve just in case the host balks at a card game.

I'm LDS (Mormon) and some in our faith are stricter than others regarding playing with "face cards". We don't believe in gambling, so some take that to the extreme and don't allow face cards to be used in their homes. I think it's also because the face cards depict evil scenes sometimes...but that might just be a rumor. lol Most LDS families will have SkipBo, Rook, Uno, etc...it's not that we don't play games or want to miss out on fun. It's not a set-in-stone rule that we don't use face cards, but it is something you come across often, so most members of our church avoid them so as not to have to deal with it. So you could just use another type of card game like Rook and use the colors of one suit, and just go by the highest cards...you could even use the Rook (bird) card as a bonus card.ETA: Is there a way you could use tickets instead?

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Sara Dawn
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • Sara Dawn
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
byrd1956
  • LBurke