• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Substitute for Heavy Whipping Cream in Ravioli Skillet Dish

In summary, the author is making a dish that calls for 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream, but they are short on that type of cream and they have skim milk and cream cheese available as substitutes. They found a recipe online that uses milk and butter with good results, but when they tried it with skim milk and cream cheese, the melted butter congealed again when added to the milk. They think the milk/butter substitute would work in a baked recipe like the scones, but they are unsure about the ravioli dish because it calls for a sauce that uses the whipped cream. They finally decided to use the skim milk and cream cheese substitute and it worked fine.
esavvymom
Staff member
I realized I did not have Heavy Whipping cream and it's kind of late now for me to change the dinner menu and I'd rather NOT go to the store.

I am making the Zesty Ravioli Skillet dish. Calls for 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream. Normally I have whole milk that works just fine in the recipe, but alas- I ran out of that yesterday.

What I DO have is:

Skim milk
Cream Cheese
Evap Milk (Fat free)
Cond. Milk (Fat Free

I found a recipe online that uses milk and butter...but when I did that, the melted butter, after it cooled- just congealed again when added to the milk. GROSS! Not putting that in the pasta. Not quite what I was going for.

Suggestions?

I think you could get away with the skim milk & a little softened cream cheese. :D

Ginger428 said:
I think you could get away with the skim milk & a little softened cream cheese. :D

Ditto this

I am thinking 1-2 Tbl Sp. Cream Cheese to 1 cp milk.

Not prefect but will cook up just fine and no one will know but you. :thumbup:

Saw this review of the butter/milk recipe with some tips...maybe this will help?

"I used this in a simple Blueberry Scone Recipe. I added a tablespoon of Flour to 3/4 cup 2% milk, and the 1/3 cup butter. I heated it all on the stove until thickened and melted, and then poured into a glass measuring cup and let it cool in the freezer until nice and cold before adding it to the scone recipe. They turned out fluffy, rich and yummy. I will definitely use this again, and maybe NOT use the heavy cream after all."

I think the milk/butter substitute would definitely work in a baked recipe like the scones....but I think for my ravioli, since it's more for a sauce, I would have had a clumping mess. But I had thought about the cream cheese/milk- so that's what I went with. I used about 1/3 block of cream cheese softened a bit (I cheated and softened in the microwave). Added 1/4 cup skim milk, and stirred it up till it was smooth. I could have probably used less milk- maybe start with 2 Tbsp and work up. But it worked out almost exactly like it does when I use whole milk on hand.:DThanks! Now I know a few ways to substitute- depending on the type of recipe.

Thank You...now we know how to do it. :chef:

Another substitute that works fine is Evaporated milk. In fact, it's what is used in the It's Good For You shrimp pasta recipe that's like Alfredo, only low fat. Usually, you'd use heavy cream, but that recipe uses evaporated milk, and it works out great! One of our favorite recipes in the book.

ChefBeckyD said:
Another substitute that works fine is Evaporated milk. In fact, it's what is used in the It's Good For You shrimp pasta recipe that's like Alfredo, only low fat. Usually, you'd use heavy cream, but that recipe uses evaporated milk, and it works out great! One of our favorite recipes in the book.
HA! _ that was my second choice. I even had the can on the counter. But since I only needed 1/3 cup, I didn't want to waste the rest of the can. :D But definitely good to know also!

Evaporated milk is my "secret" ingredient to perfect mashed potatoes. So good!

nikked said:
Evaporated milk is my "secret" ingredient to perfect mashed potatoes. So good!

I have done the same thing for decades (it was actually my Mom's trick) & everyone always raves over how "rich" my mashed potatoes are!

But re: the OP, I use Evaporated milk as a substitute for heavy cream in cooked dishes all the time. Used it in a Quiche last night and no one could tell I had substituted for heavy cream. I'll most likely contiue making it this way - so much less fat AND less expensive too!:thumbup:

I have also used fat free half and half with success.

when I demo that recipe i use evap milk-
the small itty bityy can- no waste

turns out fine

What can I use as a substitute for heavy whipping cream in the ravioli skillet dish?

There are a few options for substitutes for heavy whipping cream in the ravioli skillet dish. You can use half and half, which is a mixture of milk and cream, or you can use evaporated milk, which is milk that has had some of the water removed. Both of these options will provide a similar creamy texture and flavor to the dish.

Can I use milk as a substitute for heavy whipping cream in the ravioli skillet dish?

While milk can be used as a substitute for heavy whipping cream in some recipes, it is not recommended for the ravioli skillet dish. Milk has a much lower fat content than heavy cream, so it will not provide the same richness and creaminess to the dish.

Can I use coconut milk as a substitute for heavy whipping cream in the ravioli skillet dish?

Yes, you can use coconut milk as a substitute for heavy whipping cream in the ravioli skillet dish. Coconut milk has a higher fat content than regular milk, so it will provide a similar richness and creaminess to the dish. However, the coconut flavor may be noticeable in the final dish, so keep that in mind when making your substitution.

What is the best substitute for heavy whipping cream in the ravioli skillet dish for a dairy-free option?

If you need a dairy-free option for the ravioli skillet dish, you can use a non-dairy milk, such as almond or soy milk, as a substitute for heavy whipping cream. You can also use a non-dairy creamer, such as coconut creamer, for a thicker and creamier consistency.

Can I use yogurt as a substitute for heavy whipping cream in the ravioli skillet dish?

While yogurt may seem like a healthy substitute for heavy whipping cream, it is not recommended for the ravioli skillet dish. Yogurt has a different texture and flavor than heavy cream, so it will not provide the same results in the dish. Stick to one of the recommended substitutes for best results.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
ShellBeach
  • Kitchen Diva
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Jennie4PC
  • nikked
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies