• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Crispy Oatmeal Cookies Gone Soft: What Happened?

In summary, the chips didn't get crispy the first time they were cooked in the chip maker. The first batch came out well, but the rest of the batches didn't do as well. The chip maker can be used to make sweet potato chips, but some people had problems with the first batch. Some people rotate the chips, stop the cooking process, open the door to let out the steam, keep the chips from browning in the center, and let the chips cool before sealing them up.
DebPC
Staff member
I made a bunch one morning and put them in a baggie for my husband to try about 12 hours later. They were no longer crispy. Did I not cook them enough-I thought they were done. Anyone had this happen?

mine have stayed crispy overnight. Was the original batch crispy?

I put mine in bag not crispy they were when I cooked them hmm there has to be a way to keep them that way so take all suggestions TIA

I cook mine- transfer them to a cooling rack - when cool put them in zip top bag- no problems keeping them. I've even kept them for a week and they were fine

maybe they were not cooked all the way or they were warm when packaged up

That's what I'm wondering- maybe I didn't cook them long enough. I'm so happy to hear others have had success. Thanks for your imput- tomorrow I'll cook them longer.

I have had kept the chips crispy by just loosely wrapping them in a layer of paper towel. made chips friday night and still crispy tonight.

Make sure they are cool before you seal them up. I just put them in a bowl while making them then stored in one of our new storage containers. I make them ahead of time then take them to shows so they can taste them. I have sold a bunch of simple slicers and chip makers.

REALLY you are able to use the chip maker? I have tried and tried, but no luck. I REALLY want it to work. In fact, my 13 year old daughter asked if we could please try it again tonight! She's determined to make it work.. ME? not so much... and I'm a chip girl!

I've only tried mine once so far, but didn't have a lot of luck. The chips on the outside never got crispy even after 4-5 minutes in the microwave for one tray! And by that time the ones in the middle were burnt.

I just borrowed the chip maker from my director. The first batch came out well, but the rest of the batches didn't do as well. My questions for folks for whom this product works:

1) Do you turn the chips sometime in the cycle?
2) Do you stop the cooking at all during the process? Do you open the door (lets out the steam)?
3) Do your chips get crispy before they get brown or when they get brown?
4) How do you keep your sweet potato chips from browning in the center?
5) how did you experiment to find out the time to make chips?
6) After how many batches do you let your microwave cool? How long do you let it cool? Mine was really hot after 4 batches so I just quit. It took over an hour to cool off.

Dotty said:
I just borrowed the chip maker from my director. The first batch came out well, but the rest of the batches didn't do as well. My questions for folks for whom this product works:

1) Do you turn the chips sometime in the cycle?
If you have more than one tray you do need to rotate them - also if you don't have a turn table the directions tell you what to do
2) Do you stop the cooking at all during the process? Do you open the door (lets out the steam)?
I have before to check them, doesn't seem to cause a problem
3) Do your chips get crispy before they get brown or when they get brown?
Mine never get brown, just crispy
4) How do you keep your sweet potato chips from browning in the center?
Haven't tried them yet
5) how did you experiment to find out the time to make chips?
Start at the lowest time recommended and keep adding 30 seconds to it. I know my microwave takes over 6 minutes for two trays. So now I set my microwave for 3 minutes, rotate my trays then 3 more minutes, then I go every 30 seconds after that
6) After how many batches do you let your microwave cool? How long do you let it cool? Mine was really hot after 4 batches so I just quit. It took over an hour to cool off.
Haven't tried more than one batch

Answers in red above.

For those having problems, just keep trying them. Like I said above, mine take over 6 minutes so if they don't seem to be working, keep trying.

And they may not be crispy until after they cool. So if they are starting to brown, try taking them out to cool and see if that helps. I've read of several folks who found that to be true, as have I.

wadesgirl said:
Answers in red above.

For those having problems, just keep trying them. Like I said above, mine take over 6 minutes so if they don't seem to be working, keep trying.

Thanks.. however, for #1, I meant flip the chips over on the tray so they would cook more evenly. I didn't have the directions for the tray when I borrowed it. I should have looked them up online, of course! :p

Dotty said:

1) Do you turn the chips sometime in the cycle? No, the rotating turntable in the oven works
2) Do you stop the cooking at all during the process? No Do you open the door (lets out the steam)? No
3) Do your chips get crispy before they get brown or when they get brown? They get crispy but not really brown. I sprinkled mine with salt and chipotle rub seasoning so there was some "darkness" from that but the sweet potatoes did "crinkle"
4) How do you keep your sweet potato chips from browning in the center? They didn't
5) how did you experiment to find out the time to make chips? It seriously depends on the wattage of the microwave; I believe the directions say not to attempt if you don't have a rotating turn table. I made some in my 1100 watt microwave and they were done in about 3 minutes; I made some at work in our little 700 watt microwave and a single tray took 7 (yes, seven) minutes and they perhaps could have gone for 20 more seconds.
6) After how many batches do you let your microwave cool? I made 4 batches How long do you let it cool? Mine was really hot after 4 batches so I just quit. It took over an hour to cool off. I didn't notice how long to cool off.

See my comments. I've only used sweet potatoes so far and people love them - even if you only sprinkle them with salt - they are delicious.

I used apple slices and they turned out awful. They burnt before they ever got crispy. I am thinking that they were to thick. I used my mandoline to slice them. Anyone have success with the apples?

1. Why did my crispy oatmeal cookies turn soft after baking?

There are a few potential reasons for this. Firstly, make sure you are using the correct amount of butter or oil in the recipe. Too much fat can cause the cookies to spread and become soft. Secondly, make sure you are not overmixing the dough, as this can also lead to a softer texture. Lastly, consider the type of oats you are using. Quick oats or rolled oats will result in a softer cookie, while steel cut oats will give a crunchier texture.

2. Can I make my crispy oatmeal cookies softer?

Yes, there are a few things you can do to achieve a softer texture in your cookies. You can try adding an extra egg yolk or a tablespoon of milk to the dough. You can also decrease the amount of flour by a few tablespoons. Lastly, slightly underbake the cookies, as they will continue to cook and firm up as they cool.

3. How can I prevent my crispy oatmeal cookies from becoming soft?

To prevent your cookies from becoming soft, make sure you are using the correct amount of fat and not overmixing the dough. Additionally, try using a higher protein flour, such as bread flour, which will help the cookies hold their shape better. You can also chill the dough before baking, as this will help prevent spreading and result in a crispier cookie.

4. Are there any variations to the recipe that will result in a softer cookie?

Yes, you can add ingredients such as honey, molasses, or brown sugar to the dough to create a softer, chewier cookie. You can also swap out some of the oats for flour, which will result in a denser and softer texture. Lastly, adding in mix-ins like chocolate chips or dried fruit can also add moisture and create a softer cookie.

5. Can I re-crisp my soft oatmeal cookies?

Yes, you can re-crisp your cookies by placing them in a 350°F oven for a few minutes. Keep a close eye on them and remove them from the oven once they are crispy again. You can also store them in an airtight container with a slice of bread, which will help absorb excess moisture and keep the cookies crisp.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• KellerCooks
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
marystell1
  • Roadtripray
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
KindaichiShota
  • babywings76