• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Is Stoneware Sanitary for Daycare Use? - Kat's Question Answered

In summary, using soap on anything only acts as a loosening agent. Since stoneware is nonstick, you don't need soap. Soap does NOT sanitize. If she still has concerns, she can put it in the oven for a few minutes at the lowest setting. It's not necessary, but it may make her feel better.
kculverson
I have a customer who owns a daycare and was asking if the stoneware is sanitary beacuse it isn't washed with soap. Thanks Kat

Yes. Using soap on anything only acts as a loosening agent. Since stoneware is nonstick, you don't need soap.

Soap does NOT sanitize!!! If it did, then sanitizer would not need to be used in professional kitchens. What soap does is adhere to oil and help break it up. As long as she uses the hottest water possible, that will sanitize the stone.

If she still has concerns, she can put it in the oven for a few minutes at the lowest setting. It's not necessary, but it may make her feel better.

I was asked this at a show last week....I basically said what stacy did...glad I was right!

I was going to check on it and let her know if I was wrong. Thank you for posting!

I've got a letter by a microbiologist that says the same thing. (There's probably a copy in the files here.) Soap acts as a surfactant, something that loosens particles from the surface, as well as a degreasing agent. It is the hot water that actually kills bacteria.

There should be a file in the "files" section on why stones don't need soap. If it is the one I'm thinking of, it was written by an actual microbiologist who just happened to also be a PC consultant!

I try to keep a few of these sheets in my paperwork mix at shows in case I have someone who FREAKS about the soap issue.

Sometimes, if someone is really pressing me, I say something like "well, stoneware is a main product line for Pampered Chef and we sell tons of it each year...I'm sure if there was a problem not using soap, it would have presented itself by now. But...I do have this lovely info sheet for you if you'd like to read more on the subject."

Might sound a tad rude but sometimes you gotta get the point across....

When I was a customer, a consultant (who is my director now) said "And think about it - would they really sell you something that's going to make you sick??"
Made sense to me!

I always mention that it's just like cast iron. No need to wash it with soap.

cmdtrgd said:
Soap does NOT sanitize!!! If it did, then sanitizer would not need to be used in professional kitchens. What soap does is adhere to oil and help break it up. As long as she uses the hottest water possible, that will sanitize the stone.

If you can cross sell the easy clean kitchen brush with her stones, then she can get the water hotter than she can stand it. I like to tell people at my show that the only reasons we use soap is to cut grease -- not to clean-- and the top reason we use soap is for our own conscience's sake! You can also tell her that she CAN use soap on it, if it makes her feel better about using them for her kids. Since our stones are made from a nonporous clay, it won't absorb or transfer the flavor of the soap to your food. It just won't season the stones.

chefann said:
I've got a letter by a microbiologist that says the same thing. (There's probably a copy in the files here.) Soap acts as a surfactant, something that loosens particles from the surface, as well as a degreasing agent. It is the hot water that actually kills bacteria.

ONLY Ann would have a letter forn a microbiologist!!!! ;)

I got it here or from another consultant. :p It's actually nice, because if your guests are skeptical about believing you (because you're profiting from the sale), chances are good that they'll believe a scientist.

ragschef said:
If you can cross sell the easy clean kitchen brush with her stones, then she can get the water hotter than she can stand it. I like to tell people at my show that the only reasons we use soap is to cut grease -- not to clean-- and the top reason we use soap is for our own conscience's sake! You can also tell her that she CAN use soap on it, if it makes her feel better about using them for her kids. Since our stones are made from a nonporous clay, it won't absorb or transfer the flavor of the soap to your food. It just won't season the stones.

I always thought that it would absorb the soap just like it absorbs the oils. THat is what I was taught anyway.

for the germaphob's Baking soda and water to create a paste I tell them
to let it sit overnight--then give it a good scrub in the am.

That document is mostly correct...but leaves out a few minor details. First off, you can NEVER say that there is NO bacteria. If that were the case, it would be rendered sterile and would be in a classified Cleanroom (like the type they make semiconductor chips in). You ever see those news programs where they have a Wood's light and scan it across surfaces in a kitchen? Yechh! A virtual incubator of microbes...which our bodies are intended to handle just fine except in mass quantities.

Also- there are thermophilic bacteria that LOVE the heat. Just as there are some that love cold...or salty...or whatever. So we think that really hot water may inactivate them all, but...who really knows? Some are in encased spores that are activated by heat and become viable bacteria. And don't even get me started on viruses.

The term "airborne bacteria" is misleading...they don't have wings and fly around. They are actually ON something...a particle of dust, dead skin, a cat hair ( I know...ew!).

On a different note- avoid using "Antibacterial" soap anything. You are essentially helping out nature's "natural selection" process by weeding out the wimpy microbes in favor of the resistant ones. Google "MRSA" to see more on why we don't want to select for resistant microbes!

Bottom line, clean your stuff as best you can and don't worry about it.

...from another Microbiologist!
I have experience in sterilization of medical devices and now do product approval submissions to FDA and other countries.

Cheers!

stacywhitlow said:
I always thought that it would absorb the soap just like it absorbs the oils. THat is what I was taught anyway.

I called HO on this one because I was taught the same thing. However, if it's nonporous, how can it soak up anything? I wash some of my already seasoned stones with soap and they still have a non stick surface and my food tastes great. I dont put them in the dishwasher or submerge them in water though. I dont submerge any dishes in soap water because of how gross it gets. I just let my water run and have soap on my rag. (I'm a little bit of a germaphobe.) The stone doesn't actually ABSORB the oils; it just KEEPS them. If you were to break a seasoned stone, it would look brand new from the first layer of clay. It doesnt absorb anything. That's the statement that cleared things up for me and finally sold me on my stones. Now that I have them I LOVE them!!!!:love: And I do wash mine with soap. I've sold more stones to germaphobes than anyone else because of this little fact...

I used olive oil on my first LRS and it "absorbed or kept" the oil after washing it. Then the oil went rancid and my stone smelled bad and it transferred to the food, even stunk up the house when I used it. I was not a consultant then. My PC lady told me about the baking soda paste. I used it twice and it helped a lot! The rancid smell seemed to get less and I used my stone until it broke! I have the new handled LRS and love it, no problems.

I always wondered why the olive oil did that, I know it's an unstable type of oil, but never expected it to almost ruin a baking stone!

Becca

Your old stone probably already had some hairline fractures in it, and the oil probably seeped in through those. Which is probably also why it eventually cracked.

In Texas, my sister-in-law who has a day care center, cannot use stoneware because it does not meet the state's cooking requirements.

Trish in Texas
Independent Consultant

beccaod said:
I used olive oil on my first LRS and it "absorbed or kept" the oil after washing it. Then the oil went rancid and my stone smelled bad and it transferred to the food, even stunk up the house when I used it. I was not a consultant then. My PC lady told me about the baking soda paste. I used it twice and it helped a lot! The rancid smell seemed to get less and I used my stone until it broke! I have the new handled LRS and love it, no problems.

I always wondered why the olive oil did that, I know it's an unstable type of oil, but never expected it to almost ruin a baking stone!

Becca

I use olive oil all the time and have never had any problems with odor or anything else...

1. Is stoneware safe to use in a daycare setting?

Yes, stoneware is safe to use in a daycare setting. It is made from natural clay and does not contain any harmful chemicals or toxins.

2. How do I clean stoneware for daycare use?

To clean stoneware for daycare use, simply wash it with warm soapy water and rinse thoroughly. You can also run it through the dishwasher.

3. Can stoneware be used for preparing and serving food in a daycare?

Yes, stoneware can be used for both preparing and serving food in a daycare. It is heat-resistant and can be used in the oven, microwave, and even on the stovetop.

4. Is stoneware durable enough for use in a daycare?

Yes, stoneware is durable enough for use in a daycare. It is designed to withstand high temperatures and is less likely to chip or break compared to other types of cookware.

5. Does stoneware retain heat for a longer period of time?

Yes, stoneware does retain heat for a longer period of time compared to other types of cookware. This makes it ideal for keeping food warm during meal times in a daycare setting.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• pkd09
  • Pampered Chef Stoneware
Replies
Views
esavvymom
  • Julie Richt
  • Pampered Chef Stoneware
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • BethanyN