• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Shopping for a New Phone but Struggling to Find One!

The only "simple" phones they have with a full keyboard are UGLY, are straight phones (can you say "butt dialing?) or are out of stock. After considering switching to Sprint due to their lower prices, the person suggests that Sprint has a reputation for bad customer service. However, the person who has Sprint has had no problems with customer service and is happy with their plan, which includes free mobile-to-mobile calls and free nights and weekends. They also mention that Verizon recently started requiring data packages for certain phones and they were lucky to get their phones before the requirement went into effect.
Intrepid_Chef
Silver Member
So around Christmastime, I started shopping for my next phone. Wasn't ready to change at that time, but decided I wanted a Samsung Alias 2 because while I seldom text, I liked the option of the full keyboard. Liked many other things about it too, including the weight and feel of it, and the fact that it's a flip.

Well ... started shopping again last night and found out that while the Alias2 is still available, they REQUIRE a data package of $9.99 a month. I almost NEVER used the e-mail function on my phone ... only in rare emergencies when I'm nowhere near a computer and need to find a certain e-mail.

The only "simple" phones they have with a full keyboard are UGLY, are straight phones (can you say "butt dialing?) or are out of stock.

Anyone think I'll have luck in getting them to make the data package optional? If I'd bought it in December I would not have this problem ... would I?

Unless you're stuck with Verizon because of a contract, I'd recommend checking out Sprint. We switched to them because of those required data plans for certain phones.

One thing to know, the reason Sprint is offering the fabulous prices they do is because they have a reputation for bad customer service, and are losing customers because of it. They are attempting to fix their reputation though. This means that the associates in the stores are incented more by service then sales, so they'll practically bend over backwards to help you.

Oh, and you can get an 18% discount with PC. If you belong to a Credit Union, use that to sign up, and you'll get free activation, then switch to the higher discount the following month.

I'm about to end my contract, but I've heard HORROR stories about Sprint's customer service. And the only person I know who has them is my recruiter, who has fabulous deals on it, but she gets no weekend minutes! I'd totally burn through my minutes if it were no longer free to talk to Verizon or Alltel people!

Di_Can_Cook said:
I'm about to end my contract, but I've heard HORROR stories about Sprint's customer service. And the only person I know who has them is my recruiter, who has fabulous deals on it, but she gets no weekend minutes! I'd totally burn through my minutes if it were no longer free to talk to Verizon or Alltel people!

I've had sprint for 2 years (almost 3) and have never had a problem at all w/ customer service. In fact, if I call w/a question or problem, they are more than happy to accomodate whatever issue I am having. I have had several "packages" over the years, trying to find the right one, but I recently updated my package to the "free mobile to mobile on any network" (I can call any cell phone and not get charged minutes), plus I have a boatload of "anytime" minutes. It does require a data package, I only really do use it to text, and for TWO lines it runs us $120/mo. I don't know how much one line would be. I really like the plan, because I have been using my cell alot more for PC related calls and I was running over my minutes, and paying MORE than the 120/mo for my overcharges. Now I don't worry at all, almost everyone I know has a mobile and so I use that to call, plus, I have free nights and weekends after 7pm. Not bad if you ask me!

DH and I got new phones in January (at Verizon) and they told us that we were lucky we were getting them when we did b/c starting Feb 1 (I think that was the date) that paticular phone plus a lot more of them were going to have required Data Packages...DH used to have a data package and he never used it so we were pretty glad to be getting it right before the requirement went into effect.

So I WOULDN'T be in this situation if I'd made the decision in December?I think I'm going to go Ninja on this one ... as in "how to be a customer service Ninja" ala Consumerist.

Di_Can_Cook said:
So around Christmastime, I started shopping for my next phone. Wasn't ready to change at that time, but decided I wanted a Samsung Alias 2 because while I seldom text, I liked the option of the full keyboard. Liked many other things about it too, including the weight and feel of it, and the fact that it's a flip.

Well ... started shopping again last night and found out that while the Alias2 is still available, they REQUIRE a data package of $9.99 a month. I almost NEVER used the e-mail function on my phone ... only in rare emergencies when I'm nowhere near a computer and need to find a certain e-mail.

The only "simple" phones they have with a full keyboard are UGLY, are straight phones (can you say "butt dialing?) or are out of stock.

Anyone think I'll have luck in getting them to make the data package optional? If I'd bought it in December I would not have this problem ... would I?

Get the LG ENV2. No data plans. Full keyboard texting. Durable phone. LOOOOVE mine.

Di_Can_Cook said:

The way I figure, the customer service isn't bad if I don't have to call them :D I haven't had to call any cell service provider more than a half dozen times in the 12 something years I've had a cell phone.

We currently have the Any Mobile Any Time with Everything Data Family plan (we have two smartphones). We get 1500 anytime minutes, and unlimited mobile-to-mobile on any network. We get nights and weekends starting at 7 PM, and free roaming. The plan is $129/month, and we use our employee discount through our 9-5 to get 23% off that.

Get the LG ENV2. No data plans. Full keyboard texting. Durable phone. LOOOOVE mine.
They no longer have it, apparently. Now it's an NV 3 and there is a data package required. Besides, as much as I like that the keyboard flips out, I don't like the flat look of the regular phone and the possibility of Butt Dialing. The new Chocolate (I have a vintage Chocolate) has the same requirement. I am TOTALLY going Ninja on them!

Di,

Try going to small Verizon dealership. They may be able to help you. If you like, I can give the number of the place we use. They are in Flagstaff, AZ (where we are originally from). They had to FedEx the phones to us, but were extremely helpful in figuring out plans, the best for us, etc. Also, they may still have older models in stock where you wouldn't have to have the data plans (like the NV2...got mine right before they were discontinued, and had many in stock at that time). I know they do business with folks as far as Alaska, and probably further!

If you want to use them:

We use Niles Radio. Ask for John Thompson, and tell him that Nicole from Albuquerque sent you...

Home
1602 North East Street
Flagstaff, AZ 86004-4909
(928) 774-3080

There was an article on Yahoo a week ago or so about how this is the trend because cell companies are losing money on voice plans because their usage is so far down b/c of the 'texting' people or those who go the data (aka web) route. It's not just Verizon and those who aren't doing that, will be in the future.

I'm not defending them as I just ranted a week ago at Verizon as I left my charger at the hotel after Spring Launch (2.5hrs away) and so I went for a charger. $30.00 batman! So I thought well I am out of contract, I will consider a new phone (I wanted enV3) but I don't want data nor do i text alot but like you wanted a QWERTY keyboard. I walked out with a $30 charger (paid for of course) but until I'm ready to take the plunge to a full data plan and go the web route, I'm sticking with my 'simple' phone. :)

I love verizon so they have me hook line and sinker.

Ugh! My car charger DIED and I figured I'd just use the plug-in wall kind. I'd have had them mail it to me before I'd pay that much! And some stores do sell after-market chargers ... but I can't find one for my chocolate. Did find a head set for it though.My cel phone is under $50 every month, even if I get a few texts. I am still in "like" with Verizon ... mostly because everybody else uses them or Alltell. And they're merged around here. Severe bummer.

Di_Can_Cook said:
My cel phone is under $50 every month, even if I get a few texts.

If it's just you, you can get an Any Mobile, Any Time plan for less than $50/month. Just go to their website and plug in your zip to check out the rates.

I have ahd verizon for at least 10 years, we have 4 lines, 1400 min and unlimited texting and I have a blackberry and its under $100/mo! I agree with going to a satalite store though, they are much easier to deal with face to face and may have the phone you want. My guy is awesome, I just take my BB down and hand it to him, tell him what I can't do and he tells me how! LOL hope you get all worked out.

Verizon has been requiring the data plan on all phones for several months. My DH has been looking for a new phone since fall and hasn't purchased a new one because of this.

my family has verizon..8 phones..and only 1 has a data plan

We are considering Sprint because among other things, we recently learned that they share towers with Verizon and therefore have the same coverage. Their plans seem to be simpler without extra charges for data, messaging, etc. We compared the plan that we are considering with Sprint (with our PC discount) to what it would cost with ATT who we currently have and it looks like it will be half the price! Plus it will include nights and wknds starting at 7pm and unlimited mobile to mobile on any network - with the amount of people that have cells these days, it will be nearly impossible to use all my minutes even with using it as my primary PC phone.

jcsmilez said:
We compared the plan that we are considering with Sprint (with our PC discount) to what it would cost with ATT who we currently have and it looks like it will be half the price! Plus it will include nights and wknds starting at 7pm and unlimited mobile to mobile on any network - with the amount of people that have cells these days, it will be nearly impossible to use all my minutes even with using it as my primary PC phone.

This is exactly why we switched to Sprint. The gentleman at the store showed us a map of the coverage areas, and between where we live and where DHs parents are, the closest area with no service was in the middle of the Angeles National Forest.

Jewel said:
I have ahd verizon for at least 10 years, we have 4 lines, 1400 min and unlimited texting and I have a blackberry and its under $100/mo! I agree with going to a satalite store though, they are much easier to deal with face to face and may have the phone you want. My guy is awesome, I just take my BB down and hand it to him, tell him what I can't do and he tells me how! LOL hope you get all worked out.

How do you do that?! We have 3 lines 1400 minutes limited texting and no data plan for $125/month

I checked the rates with Sprint and I am impressed with neither the plan nor the phones. Everything with a keyboard is either a "butt dialer" or a slider, which is what I have now. Can live with that, I guess, but I don't like the screen subject to scratching. I'd rather have a flip.I've looked at people selling phones online and wonder if I'd be stuck with a data plan if I bought one from somebody else. Probably wouldn't be able to get the warranty on it if I did.Talked to the guy at my local store. He said they are expanding their line of simple phones and offered to give me the network free for three months to see if I like it. I had to hang up, though, because a customer was on the line. I may pop in there.

We've had Sprint for over 10 years and have never had a problem. However, we are plane jane and don't have all the fancy extras. Just talk time for us :)

What are the most important features to consider when shopping for a new phone?

When shopping for a new phone, it is important to consider the following features:

• Operating system: Do you prefer iOS or Android?
  • Screen size and resolution: How big do you want your screen to be and how clear do you want the display?
  • Battery life: How long do you need your phone to last on a single charge?
  • Camera quality: Do you plan on using your phone for taking photos or videos?
  • Storage capacity: How much space do you need for apps, photos, and other files?

What is the best way to compare different phone models and brands?

The best way to compare different phone models and brands is to do research online. Look at reviews and ratings from both experts and users to get an idea of the overall performance and customer satisfaction. You can also visit a physical store to see and test out the phones in person.

How can I find the best deals and discounts when buying a new phone?

To find the best deals and discounts when buying a new phone, it is important to shop around and compare prices from different retailers. You can also sign up for newsletters or notifications from your preferred brands or retailers to stay updated on any sales or promotions. Additionally, consider buying a slightly older model or waiting for holiday sales to get a better price.

What should I do if I am having trouble finding a specific phone model?

If you are having trouble finding a specific phone model, it is best to contact the manufacturer or your mobile carrier. They may be able to direct you to a retailer that carries the model you are looking for. You can also consider purchasing the phone directly from the manufacturer's website.

Is it important to buy phone accessories when purchasing a new phone?

It is not necessary to buy phone accessories when purchasing a new phone, but some may be useful or enhance your experience. For example, a phone case can protect your phone from damage, while a screen protector can prevent scratches. Other accessories, such as headphones or a portable charger, may be more of a personal preference.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
janetupnorth
Replies
Views
crystalscookingnow
  • PampMomof3
  • Pampered Chef Sales
Replies
Views
heat123