Semisweet Chips or Baking Squares?

Discussion in 'Recipes and Tips' started by pamperedlinda, Dec 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pamperedlinda

pamperedlinda Gold Member

What's the difference?

I have a recipe for making Cordial Cherries and it calls for melting semisweet baking squares......can I use semisweet chips instead? And, while I'm on the subject, what about using Dark Chocolate - does that melt well? (thought that would taste good in this recipe) Should I mix the dark and semisweet?

Also, how long do you think they'd keep? Will I need to refrigerate them after I make them?

Here's the recipe:

Cordial Cherries
    Southern Living, February 2002

1 (10 ounce) jar Maraschino Cherries with stems
    1/2 cup Brandy
    1 (8 ounce) package semisweet chocolate baking squares, chopped

Drain cherries and return to jar. Pour brandy in jar, cover with lid and freeze 8 hours. Drain cherries and pat dry (reserve brandy for another use :D )

Melt 2/3 of chocolate baking squares in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring until a candy thermometer reaches 115 degrees. Remove from heat; add remaining chocolate, and stir intil candy thermometer reaches 89 degrees and chocolate is smooth.

Dip cherries quickly into melted chocolate, coating well. Place cherries on wax paper, stem sides up and cool.

2. Semi-sweet and dark chocolate are essentially the same thing... there are varying "degrees" of darkness, which will depend on the brand you choose.

As far as using chocolate chips instead of baking squares, an article I read says, "the mistake made most frequently by inexperienced bakers is using semi-sweet chocolate morsels when the recipe actually calls for semi-sweet chocolate. Morsels were developed not to melt in the oven in cookies, so don't use those."

I think it just depends on your recipe, as to how well the chips would work. I would probably stick to the recipe, but if you use the chips, let us know how it turns out!

3. pamperedlinda

pamperedlinda Gold Member

That makes sense

4. Chips will melt if placed in microwave or double boiler. PC recipes call for them to be melted all the time.

5. I've attached a good recipe for cherry cordials. It's similar to yours but has the fondant center that will dissolve after a few days. It's like the ones you used to buy with the liquid centers. The ones now never seem to have that. :(

By the way, the last time I made them, I couldn't taste the rum at all so you may want to increase the amount listed. :p

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 21, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.