• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Semisweet Chips or Baking Squares?

In summary, the difference between semisweet chocolate baking squares and chocolate chips is that chocolate chips will melt in the microwave or double boiler, while semisweet chocolate squares will not. The recipe attached has the fondant center that will dissolve after a few days.
pamperedlinda
Gold Member
What's the difference?

I have a recipe for making Cordial Cherries and it calls for melting semisweet baking squares......can I use semisweet chips instead? And, while I'm on the subject, what about using Dark Chocolate - does that melt well? (thought that would taste good in this recipe) Should I mix the dark and semisweet?

Also, how long do you think they'd keep? Will I need to refrigerate them after I make them?

Here's the recipe:

Cordial Cherries
Southern Living, February 2002

1 (10 ounce) jar Maraschino Cherries with stems
1/2 cup Brandy
1 (8 ounce) package semisweet chocolate baking squares, chopped

Drain cherries and return to jar. Pour brandy in jar, cover with lid and freeze 8 hours. Drain cherries and pat dry (reserve brandy for another use :D )

Melt 2/3 of chocolate baking squares in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring until a candy thermometer reaches 115 degrees. Remove from heat; add remaining chocolate, and stir intil candy thermometer reaches 89 degrees and chocolate is smooth.

Dip cherries quickly into melted chocolate, coating well. Place cherries on wax paper, stem sides up and cool.

Semi-sweet and dark chocolate are essentially the same thing... there are varying "degrees" of darkness, which will depend on the brand you choose. As far as using chocolate chips instead of baking squares, an article I read says, "the mistake made most frequently by inexperienced bakers is using semi-sweet chocolate morsels when the recipe actually calls for semi-sweet chocolate. Morsels were developed not to melt in the oven in cookies, so don't use those."I think it just depends on your recipe, as to how well the chips would work. I would probably stick to the recipe, but if you use the chips, let us know how it turns out!

AnthemChef said:
........As far as using chocolate chips instead of baking squares, an article I read says, "the mistake made most frequently by inexperienced bakers is using semi-sweet chocolate morsels when the recipe actually calls for semi-sweet chocolate. Morsels were developed not to melt in the oven in cookies, so don't use those."
That makes sense

Chips will melt if placed in microwave or double boiler. PC recipes call for them to be melted all the time.

I've attached a good recipe for cherry cordials. It's similar to yours but has the fondant center that will dissolve after a few days. It's like the ones you used to buy with the liquid centers. The ones now never seem to have that. :(

By the way, the last time I made them, I couldn't taste the rum at all so you may want to increase the amount listed. :p

Attachments

• CHOCOLATE RUM COVERED CHERRIES.doc
    21 KB · Views: 266
Last edited:

1. What is the difference between semisweet chips and baking squares?

Semisweet chips are small, uniform pieces of chocolate that are specifically designed for baking. Baking squares, on the other hand, are large blocks of chocolate that need to be chopped or shaved before using in a recipe.

2. Can I substitute semisweet chips for baking squares in a recipe?

Yes, you can substitute semisweet chips for baking squares in most recipes. However, keep in mind that the texture and melting point of the chocolate may be slightly different, so the end result may vary.

3. How should I store my semisweet chips or baking squares?

Semisweet chips and baking squares should be stored in a cool, dry place, away from direct sunlight. It is best to keep them in an airtight container or resealable bag to prevent them from absorbing any odors or moisture.

4. Can I use semisweet chips or baking squares for melting and dipping?

Yes, both semisweet chips and baking squares are suitable for melting and dipping. However, baking squares may take longer to melt due to their larger size.

5. Are semisweet chips or baking squares dairy-free?

It depends on the brand and type of chocolate. Some semisweet chips and baking squares may contain dairy, while others may be labeled as dairy-free. It is best to check the ingredient list or look for specific dairy-free labels if you have dietary restrictions.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• DebPC
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • DebPC
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
sharalam
Replies