• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Spice Up Your Cooking with These Easy Rub Substitutes

In summary, the host was looking for substitutes for four different rubs - Creole, Buffalo, Smoky BBQ, and Southwestern. The consultant suggested checking the spice section for similar options and also recommended trying the PC rubs within 30 days with the option to return any disliked items. The host seemed set on trying other options before buying from PC. The PC Southwestern rub was noted to be a good deal compared to buying individual packets of taco seasoning. The consultant also suggested offering sample sizes to entice the host to try the rubs. The Creole rub was compared to Tony Chachere's seasoning, and for the Buffalo and BBQ rubs, any taco seasoning could be used as a substitute.
wadesgirl
Gold Member
I have a host who bought the DCB and was looking through some of the recipes I gave her and asked for good substitutes for the following rubs (she says she'll try these first and might still end up buying from me):
Creole Rub
Buffalo Rub
Smoky BBQ Rub
Southwestern Seasoning Mix

Of course I'd love for her to buy from me but I also want to help her out. I just suggested going to the spice section and seeing if there were any similar ones. She said she did find a cajun rub but I wasn't for sure if that would be the same as our creole rub

Do you mean other PC rubs to sub in for those ones? If so I've been using the applewood bbq rub for pretty much everything, even had it in a bacon/egg scramble (it was delicious!). I've had few people get hooked on it. I do have the smokey bbq one that I bought in bulk for parties because the other one was getting a little expensive, but it's just not as good.

Often the cooks tip in our recipes will give the substitution. Buying similar wont tell her how good ours is...

Some of the cookbooks give substitutions, but I can't recall seeing any for those 4 rubs.
Southwestern is like taco seasoning, but like Beth pointed out, trying Old El Paso's version won't tell her how good the PC version is.

I'd suggest ordering all 4, trying them within 30 days, and anything she doesn't like she can return. I bet she keeps them all!

I think she's been looking at some recipes I sent her for the DCB which doesn't have any substitution. I talked to her about buying some of the PC ones but she seems pretty set on trying other ones first.I didn't think we could return pantry items.

Our Southwestern is the same as any Texmex seasoning according to a chef I met. You pay half the price for 10 times more here in Canada.

wadesgirl said:
I didn't think we could return pantry items.

:D Thank you! I learned something today. I thought PC had a satisfaction guarantee on everything in the catalog. Looked at the PIG:

Product Guarantee: Our guarantee on consumable products is limited to spoilage, damage in shipping or error on our part.

Oh well. Whaddayagonnado with such a cheapskate? Can't believe she just wouldn't buy at least one to try it.

Chef Gilles is correct - the PC southwestern is a good deal, vs buying those little packets of taco mix.

Do you have any of these rubs? I would maybe try to entice her to buy them buy offering a 2 or 3 Tbsp sample.

That's a GREAT idea!

The creole rub is very similar to Tony CAhachere. Don't know one for buffalo or BBQ rub, southwest can substitute any taco seasoning

What is a rub substitution?

A rub substitution is an alternative ingredient or combination of ingredients that can be used in place of a specific rub recipe. This can be helpful if you do not have all of the ingredients on hand or if you have dietary restrictions.

How do I know which rub substitution to use?

The best way to determine a rub substitution is to consider the flavors and ingredients in the original recipe and find a similar substitute with similar flavors. You can also do some research online or consult with a Pampered Chef consultant for suggestions.

What are some common rub substitutions?

Some common rub substitutions include using smoked paprika instead of liquid smoke, using ground ginger instead of fresh ginger, and using garlic powder instead of minced garlic. Other substitutions may include swapping out different types of herbs, spices, or condiments.

Can I create my own rub substitution?

Yes, you can create your own rub substitution by combining different herbs, spices, and ingredients to achieve a similar flavor profile. Just make sure to taste and adjust as needed until you are satisfied with the flavor.

Do I need to make any adjustments when using a rub substitution?

It is always a good idea to make adjustments when using a rub substitution to ensure the final dish has the desired flavor. You may need to add more or less of the substitute ingredient or add other seasonings to balance out the flavors. It is also important to consider the texture of the substitute ingredient and how it will affect the overall dish.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Manda2831
  • kcjodih
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
kcjodih
  • esavvymom
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies