• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Discover the Versatility of a Roasting Pan with Rack: A Must-Have Kitchen Tool

In summary, the conversation discusses various ways to use a large pan, specifically for cooking meat and other dishes. Some suggestions include using it for lasagna, boiled water for crab legs, and roasting vegetables and fruit. Other uses mentioned include cooking large quantities of ground beef to freeze for later use and cooking two chickens at once for a larger meal. The conversation also touches on the convenience and health benefits of using the pan, such as having less fat and juices in the cooked food. There is also mention of using other products, like a cranberry baker, for smaller meals.
SusanBP0129
What do you all use this for....other than the obvious....?? Can't I just use my 9x13 baker or do I *need* this pan??

My director suggested a huge pan of lasagna, baked beans, and the thought of doing two different meats in the same pan, because the juices will drip into the pan so the meats on the rack will not taste like the other.

jenniferknapp, are you related (or are you) the jennifer knapp of the Christian music industry? Just curious. Your name caught me eye!

I use mine when I make a huge pot of stew or chicken and dumplings. We have also used it to boil water for crab legs. It is a really good product to have.

SusanBP0129 said:
What do you all use this for....other than the obvious....?? Can't I just use my 9x13 baker or do I *need* this pan??

Also if you cook meat,chicken etc...on the rack, it is much healthier because all the fat drips OFF the meat, therefore the meat is not sitting in the fat & juices...;). You could cook a roast pork & a whole chicken at the same time...I dont know how the gravy would come out:confused: ;) :cool:

I love my rack. I don't use it that often, but its amazing when I do.

Ok Ann, enough about your boobs today! He he

I love making roasted veggies in it!

sarahmarie said:
Ok Ann, enough about your boobs today! He he
OMG! I just read my post! Good grief! http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/lachen/laughing-smiley-017.gif

Sarah & Anne - you guys have me LITERALLY laughing out loud!!!!!

So many uses!
  1. Ziploc Omelets for lots of people
  2. Rice crispy treats
  3. Chex mix
  4. Enchiladas
  5. "Monthly" cooking (I make 4 roasts at a time, with gravy; freeze three for later, eat one now)

I love the roasted vegis idea!

You could probably even do roasted fruit, like peaches and pears in syrup.

nikked said:
  1. Ziploc Omelets for lots of people
  2. Rice crispy treats
  3. Chex mix
  4. Enchiladas
  5. "Monthly" cooking (I make 4 roasts at a time, with gravy; freeze three for later, eat one now)

I love the roasted vegis idea!

Could you possibly give a just a few more ideas.....:p ;)

10 lbs of ground beef at once

I brown it when I buy it, then separate into 1 lb portions and freeze. Later on, dinner is ready in half the time cuz the meat is already cooked!

Hey Debbie, I have questions about that...I always am scrambling to thaw beef at the last minute and then brown it! When you brown it all, how do you know what's a pound to freeze it? And how do you find it cooks up after the fact? Bryan is not a fan of leftovers but if I could sneak this past him, I think it would make my life easier...

I do this too!
speedychef said:
Hey Debbie, I have questions about that...I always am scrambling to thaw beef at the last minute and then brown it! When you brown it all, how do you know what's a pound to freeze it? And how do you find it cooks up after the fact? Bryan is not a fan of leftovers but if I could sneak this past him, I think it would make my life easier...

I do this too, but forgot it on my list!

I usually just eyeball it to separate, but you could weigh it. I make sure I wrap it in freezer paper, label it (I usually print the labels with what's in it, how much, and the date), and put the packages into ziploc type bags. That way, I have no freezer burn.

I just take it out and add it to whatever I'm making. Works great for the Taco Ring (thaw meat in microwave), Hamburger Helper, spaghetti, Manwhiches, burritos, you name it. If it needs ground beef that's not in a loaf, it can be used, and is definitely a time saver!

HTH!

I heard corn on the cob at my cluster meeting last night.

I have had mine since it first came out and have never used it...I guess I am an idiot but it is just me and my husband and it just seems so big. Now that I have the cranberry baker (mine isn't on backorder) I can use that for almost everything we want to bake.

You can fit two chickens on the rack - great for "company" dinner. And then they aren't swimming in thir own fatty drippings. bleah.

nikked said:
I do this too, but forgot it on my list!

I usually just eyeball it to separate, but you could weigh it. I make sure I wrap it in freezer paper, label it (I usually print the labels with what's in it, how much, and the date), and put the packages into ziploc type bags. That way, I have no freezer burn.

I just take it out and add it to whatever I'm making. Works great for the Taco Ring (thaw meat in microwave), Hamburger Helper, spaghetti, Manwhiches, burritos, you name it. If it needs ground beef that's not in a loaf, it can be used, and is definitely a time saver!

HTH!

What Nikki said! :)

Caramel Corn!Here's a Recipe I got from a loop last year for the Roasting Pan - it's great - and it gets people thinking about all the different ways they can use their pan!

Oven Caramel Corn

2 Cups brown sugar
2 sticks butter
1/2 cup white corn syrup
6 qts popped corn (exactly what the large stainless steel bowl holds. 24 cups)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla
Boil brown sugar, butter, syrup and salt for 5 minutes in large Roasting pan. Remove from heat and add vanilla and soda. Pour over the popped corn and stir well. ( may add 1-2 cups of nuts at this time also!) Pour mixture back into Roasting Pan (if using another pan, make sure you butter it very well!- but no need to butter with Roasting Pan!). Place in a 200 degree oven for 1 hour. Stir about every 15 minutes. Remove from oven and cool. Store in covered containers to keep crisp.

That caramel corn recipe is basically the one I use (got mine from a Betty Crocker cookbook). My version calls for 15 cups of popcorn, and the caramel mixture is reduced accordingly. The 15-cup version fits perfectly in the Rectangular Lid/Bowl.

It's fabulous if you substitute corn Chex, rice Chex and mini pretzels for some of the popcorn, and use some honey-roasted peanuts in it. When you take it out of the oven, make sure you spread it on parchment and break up any really big clumps. Once it cools, the clumps will be almost indestructable. After it cools, stir in some M&Ms or drizzle melted chocolate over it. yum!!!

Fresh caramel corn is always a huge hit. People love it! (BTW, if you want it really rich tasting, use "Movie Theater Butter" flavored microwave popcorn to make it.)

(OK, now I'm hungry for some, and I'm stuck at work.)

If you have kids in sports it's great for the "carbo load" dinners. You can make enough pasta to feed the entire team.

Hey Ladies,

I grew up with a great grandma who used a HUGE roasting pan and would make both a pork roast and beef roast in the same pan. She would use the drippings to make a gravy that was DELICIOUS!!! :) Even tho they came from mixed meats! She would do this when we had the army of our family together... it was awesome!!! (BTW, we come from a large German family, in case you wonder why she did it... )

So, if you did the same in our roasting pan, I am sure that it would be just as delicious! :) :) :) I am buying my roasting pan next month!!! I can't wait to give it a try. The only thing is... our family isn't as big as it used to be! However, my hot hubby is a firefighter... so I am sure that I can get the boys from the firehouse to eat it up!!

But, I grew up loving it!!! :)
Jaye

ChefBeckyD said:
Here's a Recipe I got from a loop last year for the Roasting Pan - it's great - and it gets people thinking about all the different ways they can use their pan!

Oven Caramel Corn

2 Cups brown sugar
2 sticks butter
1/2 cup white corn syrup
6 qts popped corn (exactly what the large stainless steel bowl holds. 24 cups)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla
Boil brown sugar, butter, syrup and salt for 5 minutes in large Roasting pan. Remove from heat and add vanilla and soda. Pour over the popped corn and stir well. ( may add 1-2 cups of nuts at this time also!) Pour mixture back into Roasting Pan (if using another pan, make sure you butter it very well!- but no need to butter with Roasting Pan!). Place in a 200 degree oven for 1 hour. Stir about every 15 minutes. Remove from oven and cool. Store in covered containers to keep crisp.

I can't wait to try that!!!

Okay....you have all convinced me! I will get this next month! :D

Last year when the pan first came out they (HO) suggested roasting a chicken, pork roast, and beef roast all at the same time. Kind of a bake on Sunday....eat all week kind of thing :)

I have made a few boxes of hamburger helper (one of dh's faves) at the same time in this pan. I use it when I am making hamburgers for the whole family so I don't have to stay at the stove all day (dh is the grill king I don't have anything to do with it). But I still wish they would have an optional lid.

jdavis said:
But I still wish they would have an optional lid.

Me too! I lost a sale because it didn't have an available lid!

Here is a flyer I always put out on display with my rack...am yet to sell one though.

Attachments

• Roasting Pan Uses.doc
    23 KB · Views: 446
Swirl said:
Here is a flyer I always put out on display with my rack...am yet to sell one though.

Thanks for the flyer - the content was great. You may want to consider changing the font - I found it difficult to read, maybe some of your guests did too?? Just my two cents...

Thanks Again!!

So... if I read the caramel corn recipe correctly... can you put it on a burner on top of the stove too?

quiverfull7 said:
So... if I read the caramel corn recipe correctly... can you put it on a burner on top of the stove too?

Absolutely!! That is one of the selling features - being able to make gravy on the stove top with all of the meat 'drippings'!!! It's just like using one of the other pieces of cookware!

I love mine, and I've sold a couple. The biggest issue for my customers seems to be how/where to store it, especially in a small kitchen. I've got a big kitchen with lots of storage, so it hasn't been an issue for me.

Oh my goodness... I've completely missed that feature... I'm so glad you are all here!

mom2leelee said:
Me too! I lost a sale because it didn't have an available lid!

It's a ROASTING pan. Roasting doesn't require a lid.

Swirl said:

Hey Stacy! That is so funny because my hubby and I made that flyer!:D I'm so flattered, thank you!:p

I have since changed the font to make it a little larger so I will post that now for you to see!

I've gotta run to pack for my show!:)

Attachments

• Roasting Pan.doc
    38 KB · Views: 389
DebbieJ said:

Of course it's a ROASTING pan but that doesn't change the womans mind that she wanted a lid for it.

That looks wonderful!!! I love that flyer but it was a little hard to read, it gives great ideas and gets people thinking about diffrent uses. Thanks for reposting it.

DebbieJ said:
I use a lid when I use a pan on the stovetop, and I would also like to use a lid for other things I would want to bake in the pan, but I have my 9x13 and lid/bowl for that right now.

Last year I did an open house and gave away the hostess special well my DH decided he wanted it and wanted me to call the winner and see if we could buy it from her. We do know her and I recently did a show with her and she was saying she loves the roasting pan she made lasagna in it and her husband was mad because he was eating leftovers for ever.

Swirl said:
That looks wonderful!!! I love that flyer but it was a little hard to read, it gives great ideas and gets people thinking about diffrent uses. Thanks for reposting it.

Thanks and no problem!!:D

Anyone know the cup capacity of the roasting pan? I am going to make cheesy potatoes and want to know if I have to double or triple the recipe? I usually make them in the rectangular baker, but thought I would try the roasting pan this time.

Thanks, Leea

Harrle said:
Anyone know the cup capacity of the roasting pan? I am going to make cheesy potatoes and want to know if I have to double or triple the recipe? I usually make them in the rectangular baker, but thought I would try the roasting pan this time.

Thanks, Leea

I could not find anything with that information on it. You could fill it up with water keeping track of how many cups you add until it is 2/3rds full.

Some asked about storing the Roasting Pan in a small kitchen...

I live in an apartment with a storage closet just outside my front door (with a deadbolt lock on it!). I have used the shelves for storing some items, IN THE BOX! That's the key! Do NOT throw away the boxes, use them to store your stoneware and larger or awkward shaped pieces. My Chilzanne, roasting pan, stoneware... all of it is in boxes on a shelf. If you use an outside storage room, though, make sure you bring the stoneware inside long enough to come up to a good temperature before you throw it into the oven!!!

Hey Celeste, great idea. Storing it in the box would make it easier for many.

This is a little off-topic, but storing the flat stones (round, rectangular) in the boxes makes it so much easier. I have about 1 1/2 inches of space between a cabinet and my fridge, and that's where I keep my flat stones - in the boxes!

Keeping things like the roaster in the box will also help protect the nonstick coating from things that would otherwise end up stacked in it.

Funny story with this... I just had a show at a neighbor's house. A guest who arrived early was disappointed that I didn't have the roasting pan with me because she really wanted to see it before she bought it. So, I figured I would go home and get it. I had to get my husband to get it out of our storage closet. I LOVE it, but just haven't roasted lately. Anyway, I carry all the way back, and set it out and the woman says,"That's not it." I say, "Yes, that's our roasting pan." She says, "You mean its not stoneware?" My reply, "On thats the covered deep baker or the rectangular baker." She says, "Yes! Can you go get those?" Me: "I'm sorry I don't have those." Which I don't. UGH!!!

When I pre-cook my hamburger in large portions I freeze it in one lb portions. I have found that one pound is usually equal to 2 Cups of hamburger. I love to do this b/c it makes life so much easier and you cannot tell a difference with the taste.

I also do this with chicken. I buy the rotisere chickens at Sams for $4.88 a chicken. I buy 2 at a time and debone them. Last time I did it I got 12 cups of meat!!!! I freeze the shredded meat into 2 cup portions. When I get home from a long day at work, just put it in the microwave to thaw and walla you have meat allready cooked and with a GREAT flavor. I use it in soups, casseroles etc..... it's a life saver!!!

Monica

Monica: What a great idea! Why didn't I think of that sooner?

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• chefmelody
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
KellyTheChef
  • Belle4562
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Belle4562
  • angmillar