• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

How do I make rice in the Large Micro Cooker without a Rice Cooker Plus?

In summary, you can do the rice in the Micro Cooker by following the recipe as it is written, or by using the directions that are included with the rice. You will need to microwave the onion mixture and the rice, and then add the broth, water, and salt. The rice will be cooked in the Micro Cooker in about 20 minutes. The shrimp can be grilled as described in the recipe, or you can use a lemon pepper substitute. The asparagus can also be grilled if desired.
shannonjennings
I have a show tonight and want to do rice with the Pork Tenderloin in the DCB. I do not have the Rice Cooker Plus. How do you do the rice in the Large Micro Cooker? I have lots of customers tell me they do this, but I've never tried it. Please Help!!!! Thanks in advance!

I did this a few weeks ago. I have the Rice Cooker, but forgot that I had lent it to someone, so I decided to use the MicroCooker.

I used the recipe as it stated for the Rice Cooker, but used the MicroCooker instead.

It was the Asparagus Rice that goes with the shrimp toss in the Grill It Quick recipe Book. It turned out fine.

If there are microwave directions on the rice, I would imagine you could use that.

It didn't boil over? How much rice did you make?

pamperedlinda said:
It didn't boil over? How much rice did you make?

It is the rice that goes with the Citrus-Butter Shrimp Toss from the Grill it Quick Recipe Book. I will need to look it up when I get home and see how many cups of rice/water it used.

I'll post it if I find it before then.

OK, here is the rice recipe (as part of the shrimp toss recipe) that I ended up using the large Micro Cooker to make instead of the Rice Cooker.

Actually, I had picked this recipe for the sole purpose of making rice in the rice cooker - only to discover that I had lent the rice Cooker out and didn't have it to use! :eek: So I think the Micro Cooker worked just fine in a pinch. I still to this day have not made rice in my Rice Cooker.

Also, I did not use Jasmine Rice (it was about $9 at my store, so I used cheap store brand long grain rice) and I used the Grill Pan to "grill" the asparagus. Also notice how the recipe says "Microwave according to package directions." for the rice...so I had to make sure the rice I bought had microwave directions on the package! BTW, the rice in this recipe was aswesome.

Citrus-Butter Shrimp Toss
Asparagus Pilaf
1/4 medium yellow onion
1 tbsp (15 mL) butter
1 cup (250 mL) uncooked jasmine rice
1 3/4 cups (425 mL) chicken broth
1/2 cup (125 mL) water
1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
8 oz (250 g) fresh asparagus spears, trimmed

Shrimp
1 lb (500 g) medium uncooked shrimp (41-50 per pound), peeled and deveined, tails removed
1 tbsp (15 mL) plus 1 tsp (5 mL) Citrus & Basil Rub, divided
2 tbsp (30 mL) butter
1 garlic clove, pressed
3 tbsp (45 mL) chopped jarred pimento peppers

Directions:
1. Prepare grill for direct cooking over medium-high heat. For pilaf, chop onion with Food Chopper; place onion and butter into Rice Cooker Plus. Microwave onion mixture, uncovered, on HIGH 2 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds. Add rice, broth, water and salt to cooker. Microwave according to package directions.

2. For shrimp, in Stainless (2-qt./2-L) Mixing Bowl, toss shrimp with 1 tbsp (15 mL) of the rub. In Classic Batter Bowl, combine butter, remaining 1 tsp (5 mL) rub and garlic. Microwave butter mixture on HIGH 1 minute or until butter is melted; add pimentos and mix well.

3. Brush BBQ Grill Basket with vegetable oil; preheat on grill 3 minutes. Add shrimp and grill, covered, 4-6 minutes or until shrimp is opaque, turning occasionally. Remove basket from grill; add shrimp to butter mixture and toss to coat. Meanwhile, grill asparagus spears 5-7 minutes or until cooked but still slightly firm. Remove asparagus from grill.

4. To serve, cut asparagus on a bias into 1-in. (2.5-cm) pieces; toss with rice. Serve shrimp over pilaf.
Yield: 4 servings

Nutrients per serving: Calories 330, Total Fat 11 g, Saturated Fat 5 g, Cholesterol 235 mg, Carbohydrate 23 g, Protein 33 g, Sodium 1070 mg, Fiber 2 g

U.S. Diabetic exchanges per serving: 1 1/2 starch, 4 low-fat meat (1 1/2 carb)

Cook’s Tips: For an easy way to cut asparagus spears on a bias, line up the spears on the cutting board, then angle the spears on a bias. Cut the spears on a bias into 1-in. (2.5-cm) pieces using the Utility Knife.

Grilling the asparagus adds depth of flavor to the pilaf.

If desired, lemon pepper can be substituted for the citrus rub.

Thanks! I had my show tonight and the rice was fantastic! Thanks for the help!

What is the Large Micro Cooker and how does it work?

The Large Micro Cooker is a specialized kitchen tool from Pampered Chef that is designed specifically for cooking rice in the microwave. It has a unique design that allows for even cooking and perfect rice every time. Simply add rice and water to the cooker, cover with the lid, and microwave according to the instructions for perfectly cooked rice.

What types of rice can I cook in the Large Micro Cooker?

The Large Micro Cooker is versatile and can be used to cook a variety of rice, including white, brown, jasmine, basmati, and wild rice. It can also be used to cook other grains such as quinoa, couscous, and oatmeal.

How much rice can the Large Micro Cooker hold?

The Large Micro Cooker has a 3-quart capacity, which is enough to cook up to 6 cups of cooked rice. This makes it perfect for large families or meal prep for the week.

Is the Large Micro Cooker dishwasher safe?

Yes, the Large Micro Cooker is dishwasher safe, making clean up a breeze. However, it is recommended to hand wash the lid to prolong its lifespan.

Can I use the Large Micro Cooker for other foods besides rice?

Yes, the Large Micro Cooker can also be used to steam vegetables, cook pasta, and even make one-pot meals such as soups and stews. Its versatility and convenience make it a must-have tool in any kitchen.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Jolie_Paradoxe
  • higoobs
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
Replies
Views
Paula R. Lewis