Rice Cooker

Discussion in 'Products and Tips' started by ivebeen4given, Mar 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OK I know the rice cooker makes excellent cakes (already tried that) but what is the actual way to make rice in it?

2. I found the instruction guide less than helpful - it says "follow directions on package for microwave rice".

From PIG: If package microwave directions are unavailable, a general guideline for four servings of white rice is 2 cups water to 1 cup rice. Fill cooker with water and rice. Cook on HIGH (100% power) 5 minutes; reduce to MEDIUM (50% power) 15 minutes or until water is absorbed.

3. JAE

JAE

Does anyone use it to cook chicken? I had a host asking because friends were asking her about it. I don't have one.

4. ChefBeckyD

ChefBeckyD Gold Member

That's about the only thing I've ever used mine for - I've made chicken soup in it in 14 minutes! I just throw the chicken in with chicken broth, a bay leaf and some garlic, and then cook for about 7 minutes. Then I take out the bay leaf, throw in sliced carrots, celery, chopped onion, and noodles, and cook for another 7-9 minutes.

5. I do 1 to 1-1/2 ratio (1 cup rice to 1-1/2 cups liquid or 2 cups rice to 3 cups liquid) and microwave on HIGH 10 minutes. Perfect every time.

6. JAE

JAE

Approximately, how much chicken? I know you don't measure:), but you must know how many chicken breasts you use.

7. You can make really good mashed potatoes too!! just cube the potatoes and add some milk, a bit of butter/margarine, and a clove of garlic. After 10 minutes you mash!! YUMMMY!

8. ChefBeckyD

ChefBeckyD Gold Member

2 chicken breasts, a 32 ounce carton of chicken broth (I may use a little less) and a couple garlic cloves. Then, a couple handfuls of everything else!:chef:

9. whats wrong with me??!!

I bought the RC BEFORE I became a Consultant and have NEVER used it! What is wrong with me???? I am SO trying it this weekend!

10. JAE

JAE

Is the chicken raw or already cooked? I have a customer asking about cooking chicken in the Rice Cooker, so that's why I'm asking for specifics.

11. ChefBeckyD

ChefBeckyD Gold Member

Raw - but I do dice it before cooking it.

12. pchefjennoy

pchefjennoy Gold Member

I cook chicken breasts in mine all nthe time. I leave them whole put a little water in and any seasoning I feel like. Cook about 12 min depending on Micro. I flip mine 1/2 way through. Comes out nice and juicy.

13. You can put the chicken breasts FROZEN into the chicken broth; just cook it a little longer. When it's done, just shred it with a fork. I love to do it this way b/c I hate touching raw poultry and having to wash everything so thoroughly afterward. It's easier, too.

14. lkprescott

lkprescott Silver Member

Wow! Lots of great ideas (LOVE the mashed potato one!)... I'd been wanting to get a rice cooker anyway, especially after attempting sushi rice... anything to make it easier, I say. LOL... but that it does more than that is great.

I have no room in my tiny, ill laid out kitchen for a non-multi tasking item.

15. ladies you have to stop with all the great recipes and idead for pc stuff!! although i know the company loves you for it. ditto on the no room for things. i want everything and yes one day my entire kitchen will be stocked with nothing but pc stuff

16. purrbal

purrbal Gold Member

I use my micro cooker for chicken, I put in one frozen breast (no additional liquid) for 6 minutes and it is usually done in that time, smaller breast 5 minutes and larger I might go 7 or 8 minutes, but like I said that is in the lg micro cooker. There is small liquid in bottom when done and the chicken is nice and juicy.

17. I love the rice cooker, it made excellent rice. As soon as the rice was done I cleaned it up threw in a cake and I had a deliciously moist cake to eat for dessert.

18. Wow! Those are awesome tips! ::jaw hitting the floor::

19. twinkie10

twinkie10 Gold Member

I've always used 2 c. water and 1 c. rice. Microwave 5 minutes on HIGH and then 15 minutes on Med-Hi heat. It comes out perfect everytime.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.