• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Cooking Rice in a Rice Cooker: A Step-by-Step Guide

In summary, the rice cooker can be used to make rice by following the package directions for microwave rice or by using a general guideline of 2 cups water to 1 cup rice. It can also be used to cook chicken, with one suggested method being to cook raw chicken with chicken broth, a bay leaf, and garlic for about 14 minutes, and then adding vegetables and noodles for an additional 7-9 minutes. Other suggested uses for the rice cooker include making mashed potatoes and cooking frozen chicken breasts. It can also be used to make cakes.
ivebeen4given
OK I know the rice cooker makes excellent cakes (already tried that) but what is the actual way to make rice in it?

I found the instruction guide less than helpful - it says "follow directions on package for microwave rice".From PIG: If package microwave directions are unavailable, a general guideline for four servings of white rice is 2 cups water to 1 cup rice. Fill cooker with water and rice. Cook on HIGH (100% power) 5 minutes; reduce to MEDIUM (50% power) 15 minutes or until water is absorbed.

Does anyone use it to cook chicken? I had a host asking because friends were asking her about it. I don't have one.

JAE said:
Does anyone use it to cook chicken? I had a host asking because friends were asking her about it. I don't have one.

That's about the only thing I've ever used mine for - I've made chicken soup in it in 14 minutes! I just throw the chicken in with chicken broth, a bay leaf and some garlic, and then cook for about 7 minutes. Then I take out the bay leaf, throw in sliced carrots, celery, chopped onion, and noodles, and cook for another 7-9 minutes.

I do 1 to 1-1/2 ratio (1 cup rice to 1-1/2 cups liquid or 2 cups rice to 3 cups liquid) and microwave on HIGH 10 minutes. Perfect every time.

ChefBeckyD said:
That's about the only thing I've ever used mine for - I've made chicken soup in it in 14 minutes! I just throw the chicken in with chicken broth, a bay leaf and some garlic, and then cook for about 7 minutes. Then I take out the bay leaf, throw in sliced carrots, celery, chopped onion, and noodles, and cook for another 7-9 minutes.
Approximately, how much chicken? I know you don't measure:), but you must know how many chicken breasts you use.

You can make really good mashed potatoes too!! just cube the potatoes and add some milk, a bit of butter/margarine, and a clove of garlic. After 10 minutes you mash!! YUMMMY!

JAE said:
Approximately, how much chicken? I know you don't measure:), but you must know how many chicken breasts you use.

2 chicken breasts, a 32 ounce carton of chicken broth (I may use a little less) and a couple garlic cloves. Then, a couple handfuls of everything else!:chef:

whats wrong with me??!!I bought the RC BEFORE I became a Consultant and have NEVER used it! What is wrong with me???? I am SO trying it this weekend!

ChefBeckyD said:
2 chicken breasts, a 32 ounce carton of chicken broth (I may use a little less) and a couple garlic cloves. Then, a couple handfuls of everything else!:chef:
Is the chicken raw or already cooked? I have a customer asking about cooking chicken in the Rice Cooker, so that's why I'm asking for specifics.

JAE said:
Is the chicken raw or already cooked? I have a customer asking about cooking chicken in the Rice Cooker, so that's why I'm asking for specifics.

Raw - but I do dice it before cooking it.

I cook chicken breasts in mine all nthe time. I leave them whole put a little water in and any seasoning I feel like. Cook about 12 min depending on Micro. I flip mine 1/2 way through. Comes out nice and juicy.

You can put the chicken breasts FROZEN into the chicken broth; just cook it a little longer. When it's done, just shred it with a fork. I love to do it this way b/c I hate touching raw poultry and having to wash everything so thoroughly afterward. It's easier, too.

Wow! Lots of great ideas (LOVE the mashed potato one!)... I'd been wanting to get a rice cooker anyway, especially after attempting sushi rice... anything to make it easier, I say. LOL... but that it does more than that is great. I have no room in my tiny, ill laid out kitchen for a non-multi tasking item.

ladies you have to stop with all the great recipes and idead for pc stuff!! although i know the company loves you for it. ditto on the no room for things. i want everything and yes one day my entire kitchen will be stocked with nothing but pc stuff

I use my micro cooker for chicken, I put in one frozen breast (no additional liquid) for 6 minutes and it is usually done in that time, smaller breast 5 minutes and larger I might go 7 or 8 minutes, but like I said that is in the lg micro cooker. There is small liquid in bottom when done and the chicken is nice and juicy.

I love the rice cooker, it made excellent rice. As soon as the rice was done I cleaned it up threw in a cake and I had a deliciously moist cake to eat for dessert.

Wow! Those are awesome tips! ::jaw hitting the floor::

I've always used 2 c. water and 1 c. rice. Microwave 5 minutes on HIGH and then 15 minutes on Med-Hi heat. It comes out perfect everytime.

1. How much rice should I put in the rice cooker?

The general rule of thumb is to use 1 cup of rice for every 2 cups of water. However, this may vary depending on the type of rice you are using and your personal preference for the texture of the cooked rice.

2. How long does it take to cook rice in a rice cooker?

The cooking time for rice in a rice cooker can vary depending on the type and amount of rice being cooked. As a general guideline, white rice typically takes around 20 minutes, while brown rice may take up to 45 minutes. It is important to refer to the instructions for your specific rice cooker model for more accurate cooking times.

3. Can I add other ingredients to the rice cooker while cooking rice?

Yes, you can add other ingredients such as vegetables, meats, or seasonings to the rice cooker while cooking rice. However, it is important to keep in mind that these additions may affect the texture and cooking time of the rice. It is recommended to experiment with small amounts and adjust accordingly.

4. Can I use the rice cooker to keep cooked rice warm?

Most rice cookers have a "keep warm" function that will keep the cooked rice warm for a certain period of time. However, it is important to not leave the rice in the cooker for too long as it may dry out or become overcooked. It is best to transfer the cooked rice to a separate container for longer storage.

5. How do I clean my rice cooker after cooking rice?

Cleaning a rice cooker is generally a simple process. After unplugging the cooker, let it cool down before cleaning. Remove the inner cooking pot and wash it with warm soapy water. Wipe down the outer body of the rice cooker with a damp cloth. It is important to not use abrasive cleaners or scrubbers on the cooker to avoid damaging the non-stick coating.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Senkimekia
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Senkimekia
  • SPAMSTIME
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
wadesgirl
  • freetofly06