Rice coker for popcorn??

Discussion in 'Products and Tips' started by gbakes27, Jun 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gbakes27

gbakes27 Gold Member

I have a customer and upcoming host who asked me if the rice cooker could be used for making popcorn nthe microwave. Does anyone know if this is possible?

2. chefann

chefann Gold Member

I'm pretty sure that use is contraindicated by the use and care. I wouldn't risk it.

3. KellyTheChef

KellyTheChef Gold Member

Yeah...I agree with Ann. That would be WAY too high of heat, and could start a fire?

4. MissChef

MissChef Gold Member

I wouldn't!! I think that it would not have enough room to pop and it poses a fire risk.... like Kelly said!

5. wadesgirl

wadesgirl Gold Member

The hot oil could melt the Rice Cooker.

6. chefann

chefann Gold Member

I've never seen oil used when popping corn in the microwave. My mom had a plastic microwave popper when I was younger, and while it worked, it made lousy popcorn because there was no oil and salt wouldn't stick to it (like air-popped popcorn).

7. etteluap70PC

etteluap70PC Gold Member

Hot oil will melt the plastic. I ruined my old colander bowl set doing this.

I do Micro popcorn using my Classic Batter bowl. I never measure but it is about 1/2 tsp oil and 1/3 cup popcorn. place lid (not tightly) on bowl or use a plate ot plastic wrap. (It must be able to vent steam). nuke 3-4 mins. The 2nd batch will pop better because everything is allready hot. I also try to leave the kernels that did not pop in the BB for the 2nd round.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2008
  8. BethCooks4U

BethCooks4U Gold Member

I haven't made popcorn other than the kind that comes in a microwave bag in so long that I forgot about even needing oil. I wouldn't bother.

Microwave caution: My son cooked a "baked" potato on one of the dots salad dishes and the dish got so hot that he got a blister on his hand. He has done the same thing many times with the small bar pan and even though it's quite warm he has never felt it was nearly as hot as that. Be careful!

9. twinkie10

twinkie10 Gold Member

I have heard of people doing popcorn in the large micro-cooker before and they addressed the issue with Pampered Chef several years ago. Pampered Chef discouraged people from doing that.... it is hot safe and will cause the bowl to pit.

10. gbakes27

gbakes27 Gold Member

thanks everyone - i will pass all of that along

11. katie0128

katie0128 Silver Member

DH loves it when I make popcorn on the stove, so I had to keep one of my old copperbottom pans for this because there was no way I was going to risk scratching the bottom of my Exec pans for popcorn.

12. MissChef

MissChef Gold Member

I use my Executive Stir Fry skillet! I comes out just fine and it's beautiful still! Works wonderful and my kids think I'm awesome for doing this! Hey, another thing I do is add Sweet Caramel Sprinkle to the popcorn! Then they have their own caramel popcorn!;) :D

13. france59

france59 Gold Member

Great idea! My DH would love that! I've been doing popcorn on the stove for years. I also make popcorn with olive oil instead of vegetable oil and it gives the popcorn a great flavor. Then I can add whatever seasonings I like. Garlic is a popular one around here. I'm even thinking of trying it with some of the PC rubs and seasonings.

14. pc_cindy

pc_cindy Gold Member

How do you make the popcorn on the stove with the stir fry skillet?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.