• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Refrigerated French Bread Dough

In summary, a substitute for the refrigerated bread dough would be frozen bread dough, which can be found at most grocery stores. The taste of the dough can vary, but usually it is yummy. Another substitute would be crescent rolls, which can be used in a variety of recipes.
rennea
Gold Member
Lots of recipes call for this but none of my markets here sell this..can anybody think of what the best sub would be for this?

Really?? In the deli cases, right next to Pillsbury crescent rolls and pizza dough? Sorry, not sure of a good substitute for you!

Only thing I can think of would be the refrigerated bread sticks. Not exactly the same, but would do in a pinch.

All the grocery stores in my area have them right next to the crescent rolls -- most grocery stores will special order items if you request them, so I'd ask at customer service.

You can sometimes use the pizza crust, but the texture isn't quite the same and you'd have to vary the cooking times a little bit. I made half of a pepperoni pizza twist today with leftovers and didn't have french bread dough and used a can of pizza crust...was almost the same...

rennea said:
Lots of recipes call for this but none of my markets here sell this..can anybody think of what the best sub would be for this?

Try frozen bread dough....of course, you would have to thaw it first!;)

I know, I can't believe that we don't have it here!! The only frozen bread that we have around here is dempsters, you know the kind that you just pop in the oven for a couple of minutes.

I'll have to try the bread sticks though.

It must be a Canadian thing - we don't have it here either. And lately, not even the frozen Dempster's bread dough. I haven't been able to find it in about 6 months. I end up just avoiding recipes that call for refrigerated bread dough :(

Pillsbury makes Dinner Rolls (not the biscuits ) maybe instead of separating them, roll them out instead....I dunno, might be worth a try....:)

One time when I thought I had the Pillsbury french bread, it was actually the pizza crust, so I just used that - it worked fine.....
No wait, it was the other way around - needed pizza crust, but had french bread.....
ANYWAY.....I would think it would work either way!:rolleyes: :D
(sorry - I'm such a spaz sometimes!)

the pizza crust and french bread are the same (different packaging)
heard this at Leadership

Teresa Lynn said:
the pizza crust and french bread are the same (different packaging)
heard this at Leadership
Well that would explain why it worked just fine then!:D
That is a great tip to know if the grocery store is ever out of one or the other.....or if you are Canadian, and don't have access to one or the other!:rolleyes:

To me there is a taste difference between the french bread and the pizza dough.

Depending on what you are cooking you could use crescent rolls. I have done that when it was something baked on the bar pan or one of the stones. not something like a twist or anything.

I love the taste of crescent rolls so I think as long as it works for however the recipe is they would taste really good.

I forgot to say that I think the pizza dough has a bland taste to it.

If I have the foresight, I throw together some dough in the bread machine. It's much yummier and cheaper, too.

You can also try to get french bread dough from your local bakery. I used to work in an Albertsons Bakery and people used to come in all the time and ask for a few loaves of frozen french bread. Usually we only charged like $1 per loaf.

1. How long does the refrigerated French bread dough last?

The refrigerated French bread dough can last for up to 10 days if stored properly in the refrigerator at a temperature between 35-40°F.

2. Can I freeze the refrigerated French bread dough?

Yes, you can freeze the refrigerated French bread dough for up to 3 months. Just make sure to wrap it tightly in plastic wrap before placing it in the freezer.

3. Can I use the refrigerated French bread dough for other types of bread?

Yes, the refrigerated French bread dough can be used for a variety of breads such as baguettes, rolls, and even pizza crust.

4. How do I know when the refrigerated French bread dough is ready to bake?

The refrigerated French bread dough will need to be left at room temperature for about 30 minutes before baking. It should feel soft and pliable to the touch.

5. Can I add my own toppings to the refrigerated French bread dough before baking?

Yes, you can add your own toppings such as herbs, cheese, or even fillings like ham and cheese before baking the refrigerated French bread dough to create a delicious and personalized bread.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• smithcooking
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Sheila
  • DebPC
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
KindaichiShota
  • ChefPaulaB