• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Delicious and Creative Recipes for Ham Steak | Farm Butchering Tips

In summary, the author is suggesting recipes for using leftover ham steak. One option is to cook it with split peas soup, another is to put it in a crockpot with a jar of pepperocini peppers and juice.
deanna_g
So, on our farm, we butcher once a year for all employees and we each take a side of beef and a whole hog. It's awesome having a freezer full of meat.

Well, we're butchering this week and I always seem to have ham steak leftover in the freezer because I never know what to do with it. Anyone have ideas?

my first thought was use the spicy pineapple rum sauce with it! I can't think of a PC recipe for this off the top of my head... but Pasta carbonnara - ham, peas & pasta in a cream sauce.

that's all I got for now ... LOVE HAM

It doesn't have to be a PC recipe. Just a recipe in general. One thing to realize is that our ham steaks are not cured. It's just straight out of the pig ham steak. That's why I struggle with it so much. )-: I just made spaghetti alla carbonara last night, but it has to be done with pork that has been cured (like pancetta or bacon). I'm lost on this one. :-/

So would it be more like a pork steak, or a pork chop?

I guess I don't know that much about pork...I thought ham was just pork that had been smoked/cured. :eek:

We just used an uncured ham steak the other night with dinner. Use a box of scalloped potatoes and some beef broth. Cook up the steak in the beef broth in the 12" or 10" skillet, beef broth should just cover the bottom of the pan, not a whole can. When it's seared well and about halfway done, mix up the scalloped potatoes according to directions and dump into skillet. Put the whole thing, uncovered into the oven at 425* for 25 minutes (or whatever temp/time the box of potatos recommends)

Cut up the ham steak and remove the bone if neccessary before putting the potatoes in, also remove most of the fat if possible. YES - this can be done with uncured meat. That's what we did. We got a 1/2 a pig when we were at my husband's parents' farm last month (hubby helped them butcher 7 pigs!) and I've been trying lots of new things with all the different cuts of meat we brought home.

not sure if these would work...
ham and beans
split pea soup
gumboor put it in a crockpot dump a jar of pepperocini peppers and juice cook all day shred for sandwiches

What is a ham steak and how is it different from regular ham?

A ham steak is a thick cut slice of ham that is typically taken from the center of the pig's leg. Unlike regular ham, which is usually cured and cooked as a whole, a ham steak is already cooked and ready to eat.

Can I use a ham steak in place of regular ham in recipes?

Yes, you can use a ham steak in place of regular ham in most recipes. However, keep in mind that a ham steak is already cooked, so it will not require as much cooking time as regular ham.

Are there any special cooking instructions for ham steak?

Ham steak can be cooked in a variety of ways, including grilling, baking, and pan-frying. It is important to not overcook the ham steak, as it can become tough and dry. It is best to follow the specific recipe instructions for the best results.

What are some popular recipes for ham steak?

Some popular recipes for ham steak include glazed ham steak, pineapple and brown sugar glazed ham steak, baked ham steak with honey mustard glaze, and ham steak and potato casserole. You can also use ham steak in quiches, omelets, and sandwiches.

How should I store leftover ham steak?

Leftover ham steak should be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It can last for 3-4 days when properly stored. You can also freeze cooked ham steak for up to 2 months.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• ChefPaulaB
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Nanisu
  • crystalscookingnow
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
mrssyvo
  • pamperedlinda